Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Story horse? Mega Thread.

Comments

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0204/366204-rangeland-foods-beef/
    Tests find ingredient at Monaghan food company Rangeland Foods was 75% horse meat

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21331208
    The FSA said that 12 samples from the suspect consignment had been tested and two came back positive for horse meat, at about 80%.

So now we are up to 75 - 80%

Remember that clown from the Food Safety Authority of Ireland who said it was probably an accident. 80% is just a trace eh

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2013/0131/breaking63.html
    The former head of the Food Safety Authority of Ireland has been appointed chairman of Horse Sport Ireland.

Prof Patrick Wall, who was the first chief executive of the Food Safety Authority of Ireland and has been a prolific commentator on the recent horsemeat in burgers scandal, takes up his position on the board of equine body today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

I cant see what the big deal is, if the horses used are already dead then whats the problem, saves killing cows before their time, its like recycling.

I cant see what the big deal is, if the horses used are already dead then whats the problem, saves killing cows before their time, its like recycling.

Eating horses is fine but we cannot accept food being labelled as one thing and being something else. Sure the pigs with the cancer causing dioxin were already dead whats the problem putting them in our burgers? In fact the untraceable pork in the burgers would be lethal if this is where the poisoned pork ended up.

Remember back to the Dioxin scandal. They point blank refused to cull the pigs without being compensated. Money came first before consumer health. If they had it their way they would have fed us cancer causing dioxins.

If they can put whatever they like without accountability then it will lead to disaster. Letting them away with this is dangerous. How people can`t see this baffles and infuriates me. Maybe you don`t care but I don`t want to be poisoned.

Whatifs

Nobody got poisoned, its just meat horse, sure the local chinese has been doing it for donkeys, pun intended!!

Whatifs

Nobody got poisoned, its just meat horse, sure the local chinese has been doing it for donkeys, pun intended!!

oh i see now, its ok until someone gets poisoned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Why are Garda investigating this?

We have enough other bodies EHO, HSA, FSAI, etc to investigate, I'm not sure why they are using up Garda resources for this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Boombastic wrote: »

We have enough other bodies EHO, HSA, FSAI, etc to investigate, I'm not sure why they are using up Garda resources for this

I guess they need to if there's a possibility that someone may be criminally liable. It could amount to fraud.

Boombastic wrote: »

Remember the garlic smuggler who brought in Chinese garlic without paying the import tax. He got 6 years in jail. Whoever was replacing beef with horse and pork made alot of money in the process.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/friends-rally-around-jailed-garlictax-evader-3047451.html

Never forget that they tried to cover this up initially

oh i see now, its ok until someone gets poisoned
    Badly injured or killed, thats when it proceeds up the chain of importance.

Has actually given me an idea, i need to invite some friends round for dinner.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Food crisis spreads to La France
    Tesco and Aldi revealed they have withdrawn a range of ready meals produced by French food supplier Comigel as "a precautionary measure".
    The move follows concern over contamination of products with horsemeat. Tesco has pulled its frozen Everyday Value Spaghetti Bolognese, while Aldi withdrew two products called Today's Special Frozen Spaghetti Bolognese and Today's Special Frozen Beef Lasagne. A Tesco spokesman said it took the step after Findus beef lasagne was removed from sale.
    "Following the withdrawal of Findus beef lasagne, which is produced by Comigel, we have decided to withdraw our frozen Everyday Value Spaghetti Bolognese, which is produced at the same site, as a precautionary measure," the spokesman said. "There is no evidence that our product has been contaminated and the meat used in the Findus product is not used in our product. "However, we have decided to withdraw the product pending the results of our own tests."
    Findus UK said it withdrew its 320g, 360g and 500g lasagne meals as a precautionary measure after a labelling issue with its supplier was uncovered. The company insisted it was not a food safety issue. http://news.sky.com/story/1048537/ready-meals-withdrawn-amid-meat-alert

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

How feckin many Horsies are we talking about here??? I thought they were sneaking in the odd Piebald, just a bit, seems they were slaughtering a Curraghs worth every day for this much gee-gee to be in the foodchain. Also, Newbliss, lordy. A friend calls it "the valley of broken dreams", and he's from there.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Pottler wrote: »
    How feckin many Horsies are we talking about here??? I thought they were sneaking in the odd Piebald, just a bit, seems they were slaughtering a Curraghs worth every day for this much gee-gee to be in the foodchain. Also, Newbliss, lordy. A friend calls it "the valley of broken dreams", and he's from there.:)

Makes you wonder what the Oldbliss was like, when you drive through it.

Pottler wrote: »
    Now you know why they're so fast at Aintree, it's that butchers van bringing up the rear! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

I've wondered that too, where are all the horses coming from, it's not like their farmed are they ??

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭dixiedan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Joe10000 wrote: »
    I've wondered that too, where are all the horses coming from, it's not like their farmed are they ??
    They're a real Bonanza for some Cowboys.

Joe10000 wrote: »
    There was a glut of racehorses on the market a few years ago, after 2008 the bottom fell out of the market! Now what happened to all those horses????

Burgers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 182 ✭✭rabjoshu

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

This is getting out of control, I know I've seen this little man on boxes in Ireland but I can't think which supermarket it is?

100% horse beef... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21375594#TWEET590746

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Aw man, but they were delish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Been that horse meat is cheaper shouldn't the shops be shergaring less charging less

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 182 ✭✭rabjoshu

Already been posted further down with the obligatory Daily Mail link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Nothing worse than runny lasagne!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

I don't really see what the big deal is, it's not like horse is poisonous. If you are so cheap that you eat findus lasagna you pretty much deserve what's coming to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

But who doesn't like horses?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

There won't be a Cheltenham festival at this rate!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Horse meat is alright. I don't know why some people are getting all vexed about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Findus said the product was manufactured by a third party supplier and not by Findus.

They outsourced their production to the knackers. Quality !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

typical French surrender monkeys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭HTML5!

Jesus. I shudder to think what was in Finus Crispy Pancakes!

I can't believe Findus would do such a thing.. no longer can they be seen as champions of fine dining and haute cuisine

:pac:

old hippy wrote: »
    Horse meat is alright. I don't know why some people are getting all vexed about it.

People are angry because they were sold beef? The food chain is polluted with untraceable and untested meat. It's a horrid crime.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

HTML5! wrote: »
    Jesus. I shudder to think what was in Finus Crispy Pancakes!

I don't care,they're delish crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,165 ✭✭✭rednik

Latest odds

Beef or Salmon 10/1

Findus Lasagne 16/1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

I agree, there's nothing wrong with eating horse-meat (besides the fact they're worth more alive), but it shows a massive flaw in the way food is made. Who knows what else could've been put in in the past:O
    Also, we're always going on about our high quality of beef, and it's a bit ironic (Yes, I know, polish. )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Found them...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

People are angry because they were sold beef? The food chain is polluted with untraceable and untested meat. It's a horrid crime.

In as far as the blatant misleading of advertised product, sure. I get ya. But horse meat, in itself, is not bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

kjl wrote: »
    I don't really see what the big deal is, it's not like horse is poisonous. .
    It's not really the point though. People are entitled to know what they are buying, but this choice is taken away from customers when a product is falsely advertised. It's nothing to do with the difference of taste or it being 'poisinous, it's the deceit.

• Advertisement

In as far as the blatant misleading of advertised product, sure. I get ya. But horse meat, in itself, is not bad.

It's a little more than false advertising. Who the fcuk knows where the meat is coming from or what it is. Where's the records for the horse meat that magically turned into cow, there is none because it's a huge fraud on an international scale.
    Every supermarket and food supplier should be sued within an inch of it's existence by the general public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Someone will uncover that Captain Birdseye doesn't really have boat crewed by small children at this rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Where To wrote: »
    Someone will uncover that Captain Birdseye doesn't really have boat crewed by small children at this rate.

Burgers made by Birdseye.. Egh..

I agree about horsemeat generally being okay, but some people can experience very severe, potentially fatal allergic reactions to it so I can understand the anger.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

Gatling wrote: »
    Been that horse meat is cheaper shouldn't the shops be shergaring less charging less

They are charging less, they dropped the prices from 9/2 to 11/4 ;)

Where To wrote: »
    Did you not read captain birdseye was jimmy Seville in a stupid hat and beard and wellies and yes his boat was really crewed by kiddies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,471 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Where's the quality control,are the horses sick or druged for example,how were they killed is another area for concern.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

kjl wrote: »
    I don't really see what the big deal is, it's not like horse is poisonous. If you are so cheap that you eat findus lasagna you pretty much deserve what's coming to you.
    its seriously false advertising,if companies want most customers to carrying on buying their products and have any faith in them at all then they need to sort themselves out, what they have done is think about themselves and profit from having cheaper meat.

they also shoud be doing a lot of checks in the slaughter houses where the horses were bled out ,for welfare standards.

people also have attachment to specific animals more than others and its why in the UK for example many people get offended at koreans eating twelve day old living chick embyros, cat,dog,horses etc as cultures have different views of animals.

kneemos wrote: »

Where's the quality control,are the horses sick or druged for example,how were they killed is another area for concern.
    Feel at a fence during the 1400 at chapstowe

• Advertisement

Sweet Jesus Aldi are advertising this as 49% cheaper than Findus Lasagne http://www.aldi.ie/ie/media/product_range/02_swap_and_save/SwapSave_wk20_PD_8.jpg what's it made of Donkey Balls????

Advertisement