Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phantom In the Irish Times

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Reads like a eulogy...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭SebBerkovich

Reads like a eulogy...

Yeah, it really does,
    and I think i'm one of the bereaved.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,073 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

It doesn't look good when even the current PD seems to be longing for "the good old days"!

It makes for interesting reading. It was always going to be a struggle to go from being a niche market pirate to a niche market licensed station. In order to survive, the station had no option but to make changes: scheduling, personnel, music mix, etc. etc. Unfortunately, more changes will have to be made yet to improve, crucially, its listenership.

It's easy for me to say as I'm not involved, but what if Phantom goes back a bit closer to its original style of music and programming (maybe even bringing back some ex-Phantom heads - that has happened a few times). Who knows - it might actually work! Let's not lose sight of what the station is licensed for, namely Alternative Rock.

I would love to hear Steve Conway back on Phantom, maybe even presenting Random Access as he used to do. It would be great also to hear "The Anorak Hour" presented by Ger Rowe ... just like the old days. I'm sure you all have your own favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭SebBerkovich

Seems to me (as an ignorant radio listener) that whatever licencing radio laws exist, they're forcing stations into a position where can't operate as a niche service at all. Phantom certainly had no choice but to chase money to stay alive and the cost was that they lost what the original pirate audiences loved about them.

Bringing some of the older guys back would be really nice. i'd love to hear Steve Conway again. but i think they'd need to also consider giving DJ's more autonomy. Sadly it's going in the other direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I don't listen to Phantom a whole lot anymore but would hate to see it go.

Hopefully it can be turned around.........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Interesting to hear Keef state "Nostalgia's a terrible thing".

You know what else is terrible...?

Advertisement