Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitten Wanted

Options
  • 15-01-2013 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to adopt a female tabby kitten. We had to put down our 19 year old cat last year and I'm looking for a new family member. If anyone has any information, please let me know, happy to collect from anywhere in Dublin.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭coathanger

Have you tried the DSPCA or any of your local animal charities,they are normally looking for homes for kittens/cats at this time of year...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

As the poster above says, try the DSPCA or any of the Dublin animal shelters.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

From the DSPCA website
    We still have kittens available for adoption.

As the colder weather creeps in there will be fewer kittens as female cats don't usually come into season when the temperature drops. But we still have kittens available at the moment.

Please visit the Dublin SPCA Cattery to choose your kitten or kittens now.

The centre is open from 11am - 4.30pm Mon to Fri and 12 - 4.30pm Sat & Sun.

Please note that we can not accomodate on the spot adoptions. We will make an appointment for you to collect your chosen kitten or kittens within 48 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Sparklejars

Thanks everyone but my mum is determined not to have a stray or shelter kitten. I've been begging to get a kitten at all, so I'm picking my battles. Ideally we would like to find a pet owner who is passing on their own cats kittens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

Thanks everyone but my mum is determined not to have a stray or shelter kitten. I've been begging to get a kitten at all, so I'm picking my battles. Ideally we would like to find a pet owner who is passing on their own cats kittens.

As i'm sure you know there is nothing wrong with getting a kitten from a shelter. We got our one from the Drogheda shelter...She is lovely and the money you donate goes to a very good cause.

• Advertisement

You get a shelter kitten; yes you need to pay to adopt them, but the kitten is wormed, vaccinated, neutered and you are giving them a new home.

You pick up a freebie from someone giving them away and you'll most likely pay more to get them looked after by a vet.

Personally, I'd go with the DSPCA.

RosieJoe wrote: »
    You get a shelter kitten; yes you need to pay to adopt them, but the kitten is wormed, vaccinated, neutered and you are giving them a new home.

You pick up a freebie from someone giving them away and you'll most likely pay more to get them looked after by a vet.

Personally, I'd go with the DSPCA.

Trust me, if it was up to me, that's what we'd be doing. I've made all these points to her before. Im gonna try talk to our vet and get him to tell my mum it'll be fine. Thanks everyone for your help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Might be time for a little white lie! "Oooh Mum, look what I got from a girl in work...."

• Site Banned Posts: 957 ✭✭✭leeomurchu

Go to the DSPCA and get a kitten. I've never heard such utter nonsense.

Do you honestly think a kitten from the DSPCA is going to be any less friendly than a "pet owners kitten" as you put it.

We've had numerous kittens from the DSPCA and have no complaints all well looked after wormed neutered and micro chipped(you go ahead and get you pet owners kitten see how much you'll be paying to have these done.)

It's a different story if you're getting a cat from a shelter but a kitten will know no different and if anything will be a bit more timid.

Bring your mother up with you as she clearly has no idea how the shelter is run nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Practically nobody in Ireland breeds cats. All kittens are "rescue" kittens because they're accidental litters which the accidental owners are attempting to dispose of.

What possible justification could your mother have for not adopting a kitten from a shelter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The most ridiculous form of snobbery I've ever heard. Will your mother be inviting the owner of the prospective adoptive kitten around for tea to make sure they're 'one of us' and not some riff-raff from de northside?

I think it's time to back off. Whatever the OPs mom decides is her choice as its her house. We may not agree with it and we can make suggestions but invariably we cannot influence the decision. Plus I don't think it is fair to slag the OPs mom as she probably has no idea that this is here

RosieJoe wrote: »
    I think it's time to back off. Whatever the OPs mom decides is her choice as its her house. We may not agree with it and we can make suggestions but invariably we cannot influence the decision. Plus I don't think it is fair to slag the OPs mom as she probably has no idea that this is here

Thanks you so much, I never critiscised them and was pretty upset by the things said on here, it wasn't nice to be so condescending about it, u called me a snob? just cause my mum has no experience in this and might be a bit old fashioned is no need to be so critical.

We did adopt from the DSPCA and were so impressed by them! Im sitting here with my new friend Millie now, next time, don't be so judgemental.

• Site Banned Posts: 957 ✭✭✭leeomurchu

don't be so judgemental.

Pot,Kettle,Black... :rolleyes:

Advertisement