Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pimp my car!

Options
  • 15-01-2013 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭

Based in the Quayside Carpark. Currently have a half price offer, and got a quote on my car inside and out, wash, de tar, wax, alloys, hover floors and seats, rubber and plastic surfaces.

Anyone use them, any comments, any good.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭davebirl

irish-stew wrote: »
    Based in the Quayside Carpark. Currently have a half price offer, and got a quote on my car inside and out, wash, de tar, wax, alloys, hover floors and seats, rubber and plastic surfaces.

Anyone use them, any comments, any good.

Interested to know how much they quoted you. I'm into my cars and do some detailing as a side line to my full time job. I'm very particular and for me to complete that amount of work would take the best part of a day to do properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

davebirl wrote: »
    Interested to know how much they quoted you. I'm into my cars and do some detailing as a side line to my full time job. I'm very particular and for me to complete that amount of work would take the best part of a day to do properly.

€33 for a mid sized car, usual price would be about €60+. Doesn't include detailing, would that be fixing stone chips and minor scratches?

Minor scratches and paint correction, ie removal of hand prints and cloudy marks left by bird do doo etc and cleaning where no one else cleans.

Still, theres no way I could clean someones car for 33 euro lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

davebirl wrote: »

Hi Dave,

What would you expect to pay to get handprints and minor scratches.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 wytellis

i can't believe that someone takin pride in their work could do that for 33€ cmon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

wytellis wrote: »
    i can't believe that someone takin pride in their work could do that for 33€ cmon

Should it be more or less? Their usual price for my type of car is 60 something. Bear in mind this is an inside and out valet, paint repair, ie chips not included. Its just a promotion for a couple of weeks that they are running.

But would still be interested to hear if anyone else used them.

@ dingding - This requires going way beyond the usual vacuum and wash job

I would be charging 150 euro for a car that is not in too bad condition to 200+ for a car that has a lot of damage to the paint. If you are selling your car you will see this back and more. I can polish a few grand into some cars.

Before using an orbital or rotary polisher to remove handprints and minor scratches, you need to ensure the surface you are working on is 100% clean. That means a total wash of the car.

Steps
    Rinse, Snow Foam for 20mins, Rinse again, wash using two bucket method, Final rinse then dry.
    Now the paint needs to be clayed using a clay bar. This removes all contaminates off the car. Google it if you want to see how its done.

Now start using the orbital or rotary polisher to remove handprints and minor scratches, if you don't do the above first you will only create more swirls in the paintwork. I wouldn't just polish out the imperfections, I would polish the entire car.

After completion of polishing/compounding, its sealant, and then wax. I've left out all the basics, such as wheels,tyres and rubber trim, interior cleaning, door jams etc but it is done too.

This is a hobby for me and not a job. I've done maybe 12 cars in the last 2 years as it takes up too much of my time. I complete my own cars like this always and over the last 15 years have won/entered quite a few cars shows both here and abroad. I do not do "boy racer" cars.

Here is a flow chart of the procedure. I don't see how anyone could do this for 60 euro as I use that value in product to get a proper finish. If anyone would like before and after pics PM me your email address and I can send you some.

flowchart.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭booooonzo

Hey davebirl,

Have you ever done paint correction on a red car that has pinking??
    I'm not sure it can actually be done as it may be lacquered over but would be interested to know what you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

@davebirl, thats proper detailing. Fair play to ya, but I would'nt expect that in the Quayside car-park.
    More like a good wash and vac I'd say at that price.

@Booooonzo

Yes I've done some paint restore on reds. If its been lacquered over then you need it repainted. No buffing will correct it. Is the entire car pink or just some panels?

A friend had her car serviced by a back street garage and they washed it for her. They left road traffic film remover sit on the car for a few hours and turned it from red to pink. It was an Almera and it looked ruined. A few hours of buffing and it was like new again. Needless to say she never went back to them again.

I'd need to see it to give you my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Sorry for going off topic but, why do red cars go pink after a while? It seems to happen to vans moreso, probably because they're not washed and polished as much.

Its really since lead was removed from paints in the 60s and 70s. Red is affected by UV rays more than other colours. Newer red paint, ie 2000s on is better equipped to last.

I should add that quality lacquer is there to protect against the damage caused by UV rays.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭booooonzo

Cheers @davebirl.

I believe it has a lacquer over it and its unfortunate but seems to be common with hondas (its a 2003 Civic type r)
    The car was parked up for 1 year or more when i bought it and i guess it was facing the house and one side got more UV than the other.

The drivers door, bonnet and front quarter panel are the main culprits.
    not terribly pink but enough to annoy me! lol

Wouldn't mind getting you to check it out if you thought there was any point.
    Are you near collooney by any chance?

yea a respray would be ideal but not worth the money i reckon..
    might be better to sell and buy again with good paint
    or give this plastidip a go - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNY9Dx617N8
    not sure on it though.. im gonna do my wheels first and see...

I've seen that stuff before alright but only small items sprayed not a whole car.

I would be very doubtful of a perfect finish. Even flys and crap would get under paint when doing it outside.

You might be better off with a vinyl wrap but I personally would much prefer a fresh paint job.

I live in Sligo town. I will PM you my number so next time you are in give me shout and you can come by my place.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement