Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

West Coast

Options
  • 15-01-2013 7:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭

Hello folks

I am thinking about a 6-7 week holiday on the west coast of the US with the girlfriend. going next september

starting north of san fran and driving up the 101 to Seattle (stopping off along the way for days off driving) and then continuing up to Vancouver Island. what would the timescale be for such a drive?

spending some time around vancouver island and vancouver itself. what are the best things to do in the area?

then making our way back south stopping at portland and see the best of what oregon has to offer.

keep going south and into northern california and down to yosemite national park.

finishing off with some time around san fran.

any opinions about the trip?
    how hard is it to get into Canada and back to the USA?

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Sounds like a good time frame.

I've driven SF to Seattle many times. I lived in SF with a girlfriend in Seattle. And i've been on the coast there in places. But I've never driven the whole coast road, I used to take I-5. (You can do SF to Seattle in half a day).

If you take highway one north from SF until it joins 101 there's some spectacular coast. I'd be inclined to say cut over to I-5 when you reach southern Oregon because you'll have done over 300 miles of wiggly coast road by then and while i've heard the Oregon Coast is beautiful it is just more of the same. Or you can keep going on the coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

You'll have to check whether you can take a hire car into Canada. I think not.

There may also be a charge if you rent in SF and drop off in Seattle.

Regardless. There's a variety of ways of getting from Seattle to Canada. From ferries to trains to floatplanes(?).

And you'd want at least 4-5 days there.

Advertisement