Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Étape Connemara Saturday, June 1st 2013

• 15-01-2013 7:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭

Just got just in an email from the guys at Croi, nothing on the website but thought there might be some interest here, only thing is its the weekend straight after the Tour De Connemara so think they could've timed it better IMO:

Croí are delighted to announce a NEW EVENT coming to the western shores. The Étape Connemara is a 150km time trial sportive which will take place on Saturday 1st June 2013. This is a chip-timed event on open roads in Connemara. Full event details including route & entry criteria will be available in the coming weeks. ENTRY IS LIMITED and strictly on a first-come-first-served basis.

Registration Opens Early February (Limited Entry)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Croi

Hi All,

We are still at the drawing board with regards to the Etape Connemara and will have confirmed details regarding the event over the next few weeks.

The date of the event may be changed to a later date to accommodate other events and demand from the public. We will confirm all details in early February.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Croi
    I have ridden the Lap of the Corrib for the last number of years and its a great event but would wonder about another event in the area
    The following events run between May and the middle of June and all take in roads in 'Connemara/Joyce Country' especially the only Hills of Note between Maam Cross and Clonbur and Ail Dubh at the head of Lough na Fooey
    Tour de Connemara
    Cornamona 50
    Westernlakes Polka Dot
    The Aware Cycle
    The Lap of the Corrib itself

Add to this the Cunga Raam and the Great Spin out West which also use the roads running later in the summer.
    The only road which is not actually used by the above is the coast road to Inveran. And as a regular driver on it its understandable why its avoided
    I understand that you need to raise money but each of the above are also involved in raising money for charities.

I will declare an interest in the Western Lakes event but as its before your events its actually used by many as a preparation for the Lap. Its as a cyclist who tries to support my local events as much as possible that I ask the question why another

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

@Esroh: Do you have any dates / details for the events you mention? Thanks

Also, are all these bunched into about 6 weeks between May and mid-June?

Pity a few couldn't be in July and August.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Benbecul97 wrote: »
    @Esroh: Do you have any dates / details for the events you mention? Thanks

Also, are all these bunched into about 6 weeks ybetween May and mid-June?

Pity a few couldn't be in July and August.
    Westernlakes PD is 11 may
    Tour de Conn is wend of 25th May
    Croi lap of Corrib is 1st sun june
    Cornamona is generally 3rd Sat June has clashed with Tour de Burren.
    Not sure about aware cycle
    I know we switched th WLPD from July as feedback from riders said it a time for holidays.Also its a busy time for Tri/adventure races in west.And we run our 2day race in August.
    Cornamona is going 25 years +

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭mountclare4

Tour de Conamara 140km and 80km sportive on Saturday 25th in Clifden and the sportive team time over 40km is on Sunday 26th in Carna. Fmaily Funathlon on in Carna as well that Sunday afternoon after the team time trial.

• Advertisement

Esroh wrote: »
    Westernlakes PD is 11 may
    Tour de Conn is wend of 25th May
    Croi lap of Corrib is 1st sun june
    Cornamona is generally 3rd Sat June has clashed with Tour de Burren.
    Not sure about aware cycle

I know we switched th WLPD from July as feedback from riders said it a time for holidays.Also its a busy time for Tri/adventure races in west.And we run our 2day race in August.
    Cornamona is going 25 years +

Thanks Esroh!
    Might try the WLPD on May 11th.

Croi wrote: »
    Hi All,

We are still at the drawing board with regards to the Etape Connemara and will have confirmed details regarding the event over the next few weeks.

The date of the event may be changed to a later date to accommodate other events and demand from the public. We will confirm all details in early February.

Croi,

I also received the email but am just curious why details have been sent out if ye are still at the drawing board with it?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Benbecul97 wrote: »
    Croi,

I also received the email but am just curious why details have been sent out if ye are still at the drawing board with it?:confused:

It's normal to get these emails from event organisers so you can put the date in your diary. Most details at these events are finalized closer to the date so some details cannot be released till then.....

It's normal to get these emails from event organisers so you can put the date in your diary. Most details at these events are finalized closer to the date so some details cannot be released till then.....

Normal?? It's the first I've known of it!!

Date now advertised as 1st September:

http://etapeconnemara.ie/

• Advertisement

More details now available online and well €100.00 for a 'timed' sportiff is way off the mark price wise for me so its a definite no for me. Nothing outstanding about the route and with the 'Great Spin Out West' on in August for much cheaper (not timed) I'll be giving this a miss. Bit disappointed really but also reading the Ring Of Kerry thread seems strange these are getting dearer when so many are on and so much competition.

Hey Guys,

The second annual Etapé Connemara is back this year on August 17th.

More info at http://www.croi.ie/event/etape-connemara

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 322 ✭✭Rua_ri

Hey Guys,

The second annual Etapé Connemara is back this year on August 17th.

More info at http://www.croi.ie/event/etape-connemara

What is the cost this year?

The cost hasn't been finalised yet. We are taking into account costs & rider recommendations from last year? What would you be happy to donate when taking part in the event, taking into account the extras such as chip timing, refreshments, jersey/medals BBQ lunch afterwards?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭circular flexing

The cost hasn't been finalised yet. We are taking into account costs & rider recommendations from last year? What would you be happy to donate when taking part in the event, taking into account the extras such as chip timing, refreshments, jersey/medals BBQ lunch afterwards?

I would get rid of the chip timing (especially if the event is on open roads) and possibly the jersey (or at least offer a non-jersey option).

For me, 40 euro would probably be the maximum I would donate. There's plenty of sportives that come in well under this cost and still provide an excellent day out.

Also, I can't believe that you mention placings from last year. Who gives a damn who "wins" a sportive? That would put me right off ever taking part.

Thanks for the reply, we take all this into account.

The event is still in early days as this will be the second time we have organised it this year. We are continually working with participants very closely to make suitable adjustments based on recommendations received.

I would get rid of the chip timing (especially if the event is on open roads) and possibly the jersey (or at least offer a non-jersey option).

For me, 40 euro would probably be the maximum I would donate. There's plenty of sportives that come in well under this cost and still provide an excellent day out.

Also, I can't believe that you mention placings from last year. Who gives a damn who "wins" a sportive? That would put me right off ever taking part.

I would be looking for a lower pricepoint than 40 Euro, but 40 would be my absolute maximum too.
    The most i have paid for a charity cycle event is 25 Euro, and that was for a well marshalled route, with a good foodstop and hot food/shower afterwards.

I think the idea of medals should be done away with.
    If ye feel that ye need to reward a rider for completion then a printed certificate might suffice. Not all riders will want or need one.
    I wouldnt be looking for one.

I am also not a fan of the timing chips, this is not a race and as pointed out it is taking place on open roads.

Rgs
    Rua

Thanks Rua,

Much appreciated, some good ideas. We will take these into account.

Croí

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

My priorities for a sportif, in no particular order:

- good route: scenic, climbs, good road surface, gravelly corners swept
    - well marshalled and supported
    - good food stops

I appreciate jerseys, t-shirts, timing, plaques, certs would be of interest to lots of people, but not for me, I'd much, much prefer a cheaper entry fee.

And for charity sportives, stick collection buckets at the stops and at the finish. The endorphins loosen pockets in my experience!

My priorities for a sportif, in no particular order:

- good route: scenic, climbs, good road surface, gravelly corners swept
    - well marshalled and supported
    - good food stops

I appreciate jerseys, t-shirts, timing, plaques, certs would be of interest to lots of people, but not for me, I'd much, much prefer a cheaper entry fee.

And for charity sportives, stick collection buckets at the stops and at the finish. The endorphins loosen pockets in my experience!

Ha, we'll have to remember that about the charity buckets at the finish!

We have an excellent course, especially if the day is nice, which hopefully mid August, it should. We also had very good Marshaling on the day and support from a number of volunteer and service professionals.

The jerseys and additional extras might be something we'll look into removing or leaving as an option in order to bring the entry fee down.

Thanks for this.

Any more insights/opinions?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭VanhireBoys

I had my name down for this last year but unfortunately couldnt do it. I mailed and phoned 2 weeks in advance of the event but no response .. Not even a "we will give you a reduction for next year or here is a jersey". Not even a thanks for €100

I think that you have to look at yourselves very seriously and consider that every cyclist is not a cash cow.

From talking to some of the participants the general consensus was that they will not be going back again.

Our club does a lot of charity cycles and I have no problems raising a bit of cash for a smaller charity but in light of what happened at CRC I will not have my cash going into some fat cats hip pocket ! Croi is a multinational company and it takes a fare bit of cash to run "Admin" Sad but True !

You will have to do some fast talking now to avoid our club from boycotting the event outright this year

Sorry to bust your bubble but that's the word on the street

Sort the price, eliminate the crap like timing chips and jerseys or have a tiered entry price for those who want them!!!!! Take note of the Great Spin Out West prices.

Also move the start out to Moycullen if possible and include Seanfeistin Climb :) Good food and good route will equal a good atmosphere and have people talking about it.

[/B]

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭bambergbike

Just want to echo the point about chip timing (timing in general), medals and open roads not being especially compatible.

Anyone else have any suggestions for us regarding timing, pricing, route extras or anything else, please let us know :)

Registration Now Open On Official Website - ÉTAPE Connemara

I see that the pricepoint is set at €60 and timing chips still remain.

Thats me out, far too expensive for what you are providing.

Rgs
    Rua

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭trek climber

That is too expensive - will not be entering ...

Rua_ri wrote: »
    I see that the pricepoint is set at €60 and timing chips still remain.

Thats me out, far too expensive for what you are providing.

Rgs
    Rua

Same here, I can't see what the value in the timing chip here is, with so many other options available around the country at significantly cheaper prices this is one I can't ever see myself doing.

The Tour De Connemara is expensive at 45.00 as it is but this is too much, why is everything so much dearer in Galway!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭mountclare4

Tour de Conamara is €40 if you have a cycling Ireland membership and €45 if not a member . That gets goodie bag plus cycling jacket

• Advertisement

Tour de Conamara is €40 if you have a cycling Ireland membership and €45 if not a member . That gets goodie bag plus cycling jacket

Ya, but I already have 2 jackets and a Gilet, would prefer an option with no extras, say 25 or 30 for the cycle & refreshments. I enjoyed the cycle each time but just feel its too dear so this will be my first time in 4 years not participating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭VanhireBoys

[/B]

Yea the people have spoken - I can do that course any day of the week and for free... ! There is nothing to set this event apart from the exorbitant entry fee !

You are timed on the Atlantic Challenge well fed and a few bits for €30

None of our club will be attending

Good luck with the event !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

Agreed, its too expensive, especially when you consider most people will be also incurring transport and accommodation costs to do this event.

Riding a stage of the Tour de France on fully closed roads is only an extra 25 yoyo !

http://www.letapedutour.com/ET1/us/homepage.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭joxerjohn

The use of timing chips for sportives is devisive and in my experience only seems to put money into the pockets of the timing chip providers and not the charity. In last years Tour De Foothills chips was tried at a cost of over €2k to the charity and it actually lead to a large decline in the number of participants versus previous years and much reduced net proceeds.

People are quite capable of timing themselves if they want to, timing chips imo go against the spirit of a charity event and only serve to reduce the level of comraderie between participants which surely is what makes and event memorable and brings people back to support the it in future years.

You should heed the good advice that has been offered by previous posters re entry price levels and expensive unwanted souveniers. It's the seemingly simple things that really count i.e. the route, safety and good marshalling, support vehicles and the provision of refreshments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭circular flexing

joxerjohn wrote: »
    You should heed the good advice that has been offered by previous posters re entry price levels and expensive unwanted souveniers. It's the seemingly simple things that really count i.e. the route, safety and good marshalling, support vehicles and the provision of refreshments.

This is completely spot on. A good route with marshalling and decent refreshments will always trump whatever freebies are given away. I really wish that more sportive organisers would recognise this.

Advertisement