Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gamestop about to rip us of even more

• 15-01-2013 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

now that hmv is closed down the prices of everything is going to sky rocket in gamestop and trade in prices are going to lower

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Ok then. Thanks for the heads up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Ah yes, because they would definitely increase their prices to whatever they want. Thank heavens you can't buy things online. That would certainly put a stop to them.

tumblr_lxrkpayxlv1qdox4y_1.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

Aaron547 wrote: »
    now that hmv is closed down the prices of everything is going to sky rocket in gamestop and trade in prices are going to lower

Is this a moan in advance of something that hasn't happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Aaron547

Is this a moan in advance of something that hasn't happened?

this is me using my brain to make a educated guess that prices will rise due to the same thing happening after game closed ****ing dumbass

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,711 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

this is me using my brain to make a educated guess that prices will rise due to the same thing happening after game closed ****ing dumbass
    Aaron. Bed.
    Go to bed Aaron, you're drunk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,491 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

cue the usual "people still buy games in B&M shops??!!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Aaron lay off the insults , no need for it on boards.

Secondly if gamestop were to suddenly jump up their prices they wont have many customers themselves.

Now unless you have proof , this thread remains pointless speculation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭McSasquatch

You'll just have to ask for more pocket money.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭mooonpie

I can see the OPs point, less competition means customers have fewer choices.

However, I think the OP is incorrect in their assumption that Game closing is what caused GS to increase prices. The simple fact is (and Pat from Gamesnash has pointed it out here before) the RRP (set by publishers, not stores) of most current gen games is €69.99. The likes of GS have been selling games well below this price, and sometimes even below cost price, because they make the money back on used games.

If people aren't spending as much money on games (and we've no reason to assume games are any different than any other product/service) then it is logical to assume there are fewer new games being bought, especially when its generally cheaper to buy online than from a B&M store. This means there are fewer games being traded in and therefore these stores aren't making the same money there were from the used game industry before.

If that last paragraph is true then stores have 2 choices - put up prices, or follow Game et al.

Should also be noted that administration doesn't necessarily mean HMV is dead and buried ... but I'm not holding my breath on it surviving

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Pro-tip: Nobody is forcing you to buy from Gamestop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Aaron. Bed.
    Go to bed Aaron, you're drunk.

NO! :P

I found that the trade in deals in Gamestop were better.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭youllneverknow

If you like B&m shops there is also xtravison, tesco and smyths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,855 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

If you like B&m shops there is also xtravison, tesco and smyths.
    Xtra-vision is the only dedicated media retailer left that stocks games other than Gamestop, and I'm surprised Xtra-vision are still around at this stage, thought they would go under last year.

Do Golden Discs sell games? Either way, the options are shrinking fast and people are going to be forced to pay whatever Gamestop charges eventually, not everyone shops online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

AH here in my 50km radius I can count 4 gamestops that are within 50 meters in some cases nearly next door to a HMV and they still charge up to €10 more for a new release on launch day than hmv do yet you still get people buying it there and not bothering to go next door.

Gamestop are not about to do anything, they already are ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

calex71 wrote: »
    AH here in my 50km radius I can count 4 gamestops that are within 50 meters in some cases nearly next door to a HMV and they still charge up to €10 more for a new release on launch day than hmv do yet you still get people buying it there and not bothering to go next door.

Gamestop are not about to do anything, they already are ffs.

Now in fairness to gamestop , at least in galway they are the only store to sell games like Disgaea,hyperdimension neptunia,Atelier series and even sakura wars which i stupidly passed up on and not 50 billion copies of fifa or cod like hmv or xtravision do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Dunno. I stopped buying games on release and just hunt them down online. Lately it's cd keys that I get to cut the hassle.
    I love my local GameStop, but lately I just can't buy games on release and for that price, specially when you can get few months old Great PC games for less then 50% lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭boiledeggs

Give you my advice in dealing with gamestop. Buy games from Amazon (more reliable and trustworthy) or other online stores you are happy with. Sell your games on ebay, donedeal, adverts etc. You don't have to go near gamestop. Which will result in a thread like this never starting again

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Now in fairness to gamestop , at least in galway they are the only store to sell games like Disgaea,hyperdimension neptunia,Atelier series and even sakura wars which i stupidly passed up on and not 50 billion copies of fifa or cod like hmv or xtravision do

I was able to get disgea2 ordered instore through HMV before. All you'd to do is ask and if it was on their suppliers list, they'd tell you how much it'll cost and can get it in reserved for you.

They used to ring when it came in too.

• Company Representative Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Gamesnash.ie: Pat

I can see the OPs point, less competition means customers have fewer choices.

However, I think the OP is incorrect in their assumption that Game closing is what caused GS to increase prices. The simple fact is (and Pat from Gamesnash has pointed it out here before) the RRP (set by publishers, not stores) of most current gen games is €69.99. The likes of GS have been selling games well below this price, and sometimes even below cost price, because they make the money back on used games.

If people aren't spending as much money on games (and we've no reason to assume games are any different than any other product/service) then it is logical to assume there are fewer new games being bought, especially when its generally cheaper to buy online than from a B&M store. This means there are fewer games being traded in and therefore these stores aren't making the same money there were from the used game industry before.

If that last paragraph is true then stores have 2 choices - put up prices, or follow Game et al.

Should also be noted that administration doesn't necessarily mean HMV is dead and buried ... but I'm not holding my breath on it surviving

Hooray someone noticed my posts :D

In all seriousness though the reasoning behind the OP is sound enough but ripping off is a bit strong a phrase to be fair.

Gamestop here sell games cheaper than they do elsewhere. That is (maybe soon to be was) because of a couple of factors - the pre owned market here and competitor discounting. I know that people mention online retailers as being a factor but Gamestop stores here are competing at bricks and mortar level here and internet sales are not as big an issue for them at the moment. Whilst the pre owned market is slowing down a bit I suspect it is still not going to push prices back up towards the RRP by itself. However the removal of the biggest discounter of them all (HMV if it closes - and even if it doesn't / is taken over by an external buyer they can't sustain the pricing tht HMV have been going out at) will certainly lead to other retailers reviewing their discounting levels.

All that said - Gamestop still have a lot of competition on the high street (and they do have to be concious of online retail pricing as if the difference is too great they will lose customers who switch from bricks and mortar to online) so I can't see them pushing the pricing back up to full RRP. Time will tell .....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Who the **** still buys in Gamestop

Jesus Mary Mother and Joseph....

I always find it best to shop around - if I'm buying a game, I always check the prices in CEX, HMV (though, guess this no longer applies), Smyths and Gamestop. Sometimes Gamestop has the best secondhand value, but CEX still wins hands down for trade-in price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Cool so i'll just continue to ignore gamestop like I have been doing for the last few years, gotcha!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

NO! :P

I found that the trade in deals in Gamestop were better.

But the games are dearer. You might get less for a trade in in a different shop, but if the replacement game you wanted was cheap enough, you could save money (and you usually do, vs Gamestop).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭Mr Trade In

As the old saying goes, I know it's crooked but it's the only game in town...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,746 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

As the old saying goes, I know it's crooked but it's the only game in town...

that would have been more awesome if it was GAME rather than gamestop :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭Mr Trade In

that would have been more awesome if it was GAME rather than gamestop :)

Yes it would be it really would. What's the bets Gamestop will be selling Vinlys and CDs by Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

But the games are dearer. You might get less for a trade in in a different shop, but if the replacement game you wanted was cheap enough, you could save money (and you usually do, vs Gamestop).

I think Far Cry 3 and Halo 4 were the last new games I bought. I normally go for second hand games and use games I do not play anymore as trade ins. So I generally don't have a problem with their new game prices because I don't buy them new.

On the other hand I see your point. If HMV does go under what choice will we have other than online shopping and Gamestop though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,746 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Yes it would be it really would. What's the bets Gamestop will be selling Vinlys and CDs by Monday.

funny thing is, i'd buy from them rather than steam or anyone else if they had a digital service for pc.

I asked before but i've still no idea why B&M companies aren't doing this already, i heard last year that Xtravision were going digital with sales for movies and games but haven't heard anything about it since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

my car has been broken into 17 times this month!!!!! i reckon axa are gonna raise my premium THE BASTARDS......

op moaning that he might be charged more for games in one retailer... dont make me laugh i just got stung for 200 euro by HMV the dirty lousy bastards...

sorry rant over :mad:

Advertisement