Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

havn't started to study

• 15-01-2013 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,279 ✭✭✭✭

Is anybody else the same as me, hasnt started to study for the LC outside of school or in the evening after , after school study has ended (in which i do my hw)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

Yes I am slowly starting but if you are finding it difficult set yourself a target for each day. I have a copy which I write down what I will study for today so today its rivers in geography. The feeling of getting done even something as little as this chapter is amazing! I also have other small things written down to study/learn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jade.

To be honest I haven't really either. I've tried but end up knowing nothing at the end

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

Is anybody else the same as me, hasnt started to study for the LC outside of school or in the evening after , after school study has ended (in which i do my hw)
    +1 over here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

You are best off doing exam papers and that way you get used to what you get asked and how to apply exam technique.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 BantsandLols

Same, Been doin small bits but nothings sinking in :(

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Twoandahalfmen

I'm I'm 5th year and for **** Sake it's your leaving cert you should of started in September. Start like now. Do you wanted to spend another 9 months in school ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭shane9689

I'm I'm 5th year and for **** Sake it's your leaving cert you should of started in September. Start like now. Do you wanted to spend another 9 months in school ?

lol dont listen to this chap, hes in 5th year and doesnt even know what an exam room looks like.

you should be alright if you start now.
    just take your time at study, dedicate a certain amount of time each day to study and make sure you reach your quota each day, regardless of when and where you do it aslong as its reached. highly recommend using the library to study, or sneak into a local uni/I.T library to study.
    and yeah exam papers.

sincerely, a first year uni student.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Twoandahalfmen

shane9689 wrote: »

lol dont listen to this chap, hes in 5th year and doesnt even know what an exam room looks like.

you should be alright if you start now.
    just take your time at study, dedicate a certain amount of time each day to study and make sure you reach your quota each day, regardless of when and where you do it aslong as its reached. highly recommend using the library to study, or sneak into a local uni/I.T library to study.
    and yeah exam papers.

sincerely, a first year uni student.

Well you should listen cause there gonna fail other wise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭user.name

Well you should listen cause there gonna fail other wise
    Not really not everyone that crams for the leaving does well in it. You see things differently in 6th year. You are under pressure and may feel like you don't know where to start. Its not as simple for some people to just go study there is a number of reasons why people can't study separate from laziness. You aren't even in 6th year and have no idea what it's like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

If you need 600 points maybe do this. Otherwise just do what a lot of people do and start properly after the mocks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,237 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Listening properly in class, never leaving a room not understanding something and doing your homework to the highest standard you can is a good 60% of the battle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭another question

Been here, stressed about that, 6 years out of school now. Hadn't a tap done before Easter. Swore to myself that I would work through the Easter Holidays. Took Friday nights and Saturdays off but did Mon-fri all day and most of Sunday.

If I could give you any advice its buy a revise wise or some of those type of books (I don't know which brand is the best at the moment) in my day it was less stress more success but last year when my sister was doing the leaving it was revise wise. Anyway, one of them for every subject and a set of exam papers for every subject. I basically picked a topic say trig in maths, read the chapter on it in the revise wise and then did every exam question on it available and then moved on the the next topic. Also with exam papers I would start with the quesions from say 2008 backwards, leaving the more recent years till nearer the end along with the questions from the sample papers as they are the most revelant style questions for this years papers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 401 ✭✭Leinsterr

The worst thing to do is panic. Just slowly build up the workload over the next 3 weeks. Make sure your homework is done to the best of your ability and make sure you listen properly in each class, takes notes if what ur teacher is saying is very iomportant. If you put in a decent shift over summer you'll be up to scratch. Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

spurious wrote: »
    Listening properly in class, never leaving a room not understanding something and doing your homework to the highest standard you can is a good 60% of the battle.

60% spurious? not sure where you got that statistic from, I would agree it it the bulk of the work though I won't throw a figure on it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭shane9689

do what the last couple of people said, revise wise and exam papers, lots of exam papers. by the time the l.c is around you should have most of the exam papers covered. if so, you should be sorted. but build it up slowly, add like 15 minutes a day each week to what you are already doing building it up. its a much better technique than panic and cramming and will be very useful when you hit college to be able to continually study at a steady pace.

dont panic and do like 100 hours this week, burning out for next week and then doing nothing. abit each day from now on and youll easily get your marks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

i need 570 points and have only been doing my hw and studying before tests so far... I will probably hit the study a lot harder these next few months but it really is a lot about the exam papers, do them all, everyone of them... and I bet you get a B at least in all subects

• Registered Users Posts: 13 TheUshMan

Yeah, I'm in the same boat and i'm hoping for around 500 points, i'm gonna really need to start working hard....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

I've been ticking along since fifth year. Keeping up with homework and putting in the study coming up to tests and all that. I've yet to really knuckle down and start to study efficiently though. My advice (I hope I take it myself :P ) is not to waste the midterm. Do a bit everyday (don't kill yourself though) and then by the time you go back to school you should be ready to really get into it.

It's all getting too real now, after these mocks it's straight to the Leaving Cert we go.. So we should all get going. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

I'm always afraid looking at this thread, reminds me how I always promise myself to study and never do. Oh well nice to know I'm not alone :o

• Registered Users Posts: 9 AwesomeSauce

This is my favourite post ever.
    "You should of started in September.."

I'm doing the LC now and I'm not doing very much but like doing things slowly but surely gets you places. Stressing is not worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

Yeah, slow and steady from fifth year is obviously the best way to go, but we're not all that disciplined. I'm only really starting to get into the study now. ****ting yourself about it in September of fifth year is not a good idea though, how can you settle into your classes and get going if you're too busy worrying if you're not learning enough everyday and stressing yourself out for no reason?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

Haven't done any substantial study yet. Which means I have yet to start studying but I am currently doing my pres and cramming the night before. Its surprising how much one remembers if you just listen in class. Its never too late to study and for anyone worrying about it, you will be fine if you LISTEN in class and do the homework.

Of course it is important that one has started to study by the easter holidays as this is pretty much the make or break time of the leaving cert

Advertisement