Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting pictures printed off?

Options
  • 15-01-2013 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I'm just a young social photographer who takes photos as a hobby, however I'm applying to a couple of photography courses in the upcoming CAO...

I'm just wondering where I could go to that I could get my photos printed off as I need to assemble 15-20 images for a portfolio...

I'm based in Dublin and Dublin City Centre would be handiest...

Cost isn't a major factor once they're not overly expensive..

How much would I be looking at to get 15-20 photos printed?

Thanks in advance..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

How much would I be looking at to get 15-20 photos printed?

All depends on size.

Have a look at www.360-dpi.com

Steve is great, and you will get quality prints.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭MarkyMark22

Thank you, much appreciated. Just a standard size should be enough. 10 x 8 or something.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Thank you, much appreciated. Just a standard size should be enough. 10 x 8 or something.

360dpi would be your best bet, he would do alot of student work so would also be able to advise on format.

what sort of images are you submitting?

360dpi would be your best bet, he would do alot of student work so would also be able to advise on format.

what sort of images are you submitting?

I was thinking of doing a few different themes, nature, wildlife, portrait etc...

Doubt I'll get in, I just have Nikon D90 at the moment. I assume the standard is pretty high.

I'm hoping to just have a well presented and well put together portfolio then leave the rest to my academic results.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

I was thinking of doing a few different themes, nature, wildlife, portrait etc...

Doubt I'll get in, I just have Nikon D90 at the moment. I assume the standard is pretty high.

I'm hoping to just have a well presented and well put together portfolio then leave the rest to my academic results.

the portfolio is easy marks if you go about it the right way, a fair few of us have been down the portfolio road, so start a thread and you'd be surprised what you will get told and how easy it is to maximise your marks.

I did a whole degree in photography with a d50, so the d90 is more than enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

These threads should give you a bit more insight into what people have done in the past.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055211334

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=71464264
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=67207099

All the best with it!

kjt wrote: »

Thanks a lot! Really appreciate that!

Does anyone know where I could get a pretty good Portfolio book?

I looked in Easons and that shop just off Camden Street but couldn't really find one. They all seem to have polly pockets attached to the inside!

Thanks a lot! Really appreciate that!

Does anyone know where I could get a pretty good Portfolio book?

I looked in Easons and that shop just off Camden Street but couldn't really find one. They all seem to have polly pockets attached to the inside!

I got mine done by a professional binders, got the images printed A3 and allowed on the inside a space for the binding, printed back to back @360DPI, then too them down to the binders and got it hard bound with a nice cloth covering with my name embossed on the bottom corner.

again 360 for the printing ( cant remember the paper, but it was very heavy as it was double sided printing, think he may have had to order it in tbh.)

and bound here http://www.duffybookbinders.com/art-projects.html

it cost around the 300 mark in total, and I'm onmly getting the portfolio back now from college, and i do think it was a worthwhile investment, presentation really does go far in photography

I got mine done by a professional binders, got the images printed A3 and allowed on the inside a space for the binding, printed back to back @360DPI, then too them down to the binders and got it hard bound with a nice cloth covering with my name embossed on the bottom corner.

again 360 for the printing ( cant remember the paper, but it was very heavy as it was double sided printing, think he may have had to order it in tbh.)

and bound here http://www.duffybookbinders.com/art-projects.html

it cost around the 300 mark in total, and I'm onmly getting the portfolio back now from college, and i do think it was a worthwhile investment, presentation really does go far in photography

Would you recommend going A3 in size? I was going to do A4.

That shop you linked to is only 10 minutes or so from my house, so I'll probably pop down and have a chat with them.

Did you get the book printed with DIT printed on it or just your name etc?

That shop you linked to is only 10 minutes or so from my house, so I'll probably pop down and have a chat with them.

well A3 looks alot better but its all dependent on what your images are of, how you want to present it yourself, your budget etc. No i printed it with just my name as I wished to use it for future applications, in saying that you are using it to get into college, mine was part of final year of college, spending big money mightnt be wise, but could be a nice peice if you like your work to hold onto long term

as a binders they came highly recommended by people and i had done a lot of research into it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dave66

Have a chat with Steve in 360-dpi he'll give you good guidance and be careful about the print size, 8x10 prints are fine for full frame sensors but with a cropped sensor you have a different ratio to consider so that you don't end up cropping your images. I shoot with a Sony A550 which has a x1.5 factor, so I print 8x12 rather than 8x10 but these days if I'm getting a print done (and I always use Steve) I rarely print smaller than 10x15. Check if the college has a preferred print size etc.

Best of luck with the course, I envy you,

dave66 wrote: »
    Have a chat with Steve in 360-dpi he'll give you good guidance and be careful about the print size, 8x10 prints are fine for full frame sensors but with a cropped sensor you have a different ratio to consider so that you don't end up cropping your images. I shoot with a Sony A550 which has a x1.5 factor, so I print 8x12 rather than 8x10 but these days if I'm getting a print done (and I always use Steve) I rarely print smaller than 10x15. Check if the college has a preferred print size etc.

Best of luck with the course, I envy you,

its more the digital to film aspect ratio over the cropping factor with sensors i think

Advertisement