Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Street Food in NYC

Options
  • 15-01-2013 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭

Hey guys,

Off traveling next week indefinitely and have few days in NYC where I want to check out the Food Truck scene. I always watch those shows on TV where the food looks so good that I cant wait to try out as much as possible as I walk around NYC.

Anybody tried any Food Trucks there that they recommend??
    After NYC its onto Mexico..tacos,mole,tortas,ceviche....my god Im excited :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,417 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I was looking forward to that aspect of NYC. Hot food on the corners etc.
    But tbh, I was bitterly disappointed. It pretty poor quality. Chilli dog that must of came from a can. A bad burger etc. I've had better microwave food from fridge aisle.

I don't think its all bad of course. But when its on every corner, the majority are selling the same mass produced crap to try make some money. The genuine good stuff is lost in the crowd. I'd defo do some research and try to famous venders in the same spot for years etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Batigol309

Mellor wrote: »
    But tbh, I was bitterly disappointed. It pretty poor quality. Chilli dog that must of came from a can. A bad burger etc. I've had better microwave food from fridge aisle.

I don't think its all bad of course. But when its on every corner, the majority are selling the same mass produced crap to try make some money. The genuine good stuff is lost in the crowd. I'd defo do some research and try to famous venders in the same spot for years etc.

I did the whole pretzel, hotdog thing a few years ago but I have been researching the new food trucks that are around area and they sound a step-up. I have basically planned my trip around the food haha...might need 'extra baggage' on way home!

Btw...did you go to Katz Deli? Wondering if its worth they hype?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭bobwilliams

Mellor wrote: »

i agree re the street food,i was also a little let down with a few of the so called 'top' restaurants.Best one's i found were Italian's and found all the pub grub to be great.
    Tbh i found NYC very expensive in general.Once we got the shopping out of the way i really enjoyed it but the whole tipping thing really annoyed me and i would be a good tipper normally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Katz Deli is good. If you're a steak lover I'd recommend Smith and Wollensky.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Batigol309 wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Off traveling next week indefinitely and have few days in NYC where I want to check out the Food Truck scene. I always watch those shows on TV where the food looks so good that I cant wait to try out as much as possible as I walk around NYC.

Anybody tried any Food Trucks there that they recommend??
    After NYC its onto Mexico..tacos,mole,tortas,ceviche....my god Im excited :)

There is an App for the Food trucks on iTunes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Katz's is ridiculously expensive and jammers. We paid nearly $50 for two pastrami sandwiches and two cans of Coke, had to share a table with an aul German couple. This was only about 11.30am too. I'd scope out of there's any local delis near where you're staying and try them out first. Yelp is a vital New York food tool!!

If you're into sliders/fries/shakes, I have to recommend Mark Burger on St Mark's Place. I spent three months in NY and went there more than I'd like to say :p They grind their own beef, good value and a simple menu.

There's a good gyro truck on Bleeker at La Guardia. Most of the bars near it will allow you to bring your gyro in and have a few drinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Batigol309 wrote: »
    Btw...did you go to Katz Deli? Wondering if its worth they hype?

We stayed close to Katz's Deli on a recent trip - it's an experience, although the food is hit and miss. My brisket sandwich was amazing. We stayed Lower East Side / Soho etc and there is a great food scene around there. I've posted in my blog Part 1 and Part 2

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Batigol309

Thanks for all the tips guys....have seen Katz on Man vs Food and the sandwiches look unreal!!

Food Trucks seem good value too and have looked at a few places in Chinatown I want to check out....nice to get variety of all foods which you cant get in Ireland...and certainly not in Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

I was over during the hurricane and couldn't get to Brooklyn to go to Peter Luger, so went to Smith & Wollensky instead. Will be trying Luger the next time though

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I wasn't blown away by the food in NYC tbh.. I obviously can't speak for everywhere but the places we ate in weren't exactly amazing..

The hot dog carts are nothing to write home about.. nothing you can't get here really.. tasty enough though..

Also there's a place called Juniors, just off Times Square.. they're heavily advertised as "The best cheesecake you'll ever have".. tried it for ourselves and again, weren't blown away..

Also, heard a lot about portion sizes being huge, didn't notice that at all tbh.. in fact.. We had dinner at 2 Times Square in the Renaissance Hotel one evening.. expecting it to be amazing.. the menu was crap imho and way overpriced.. we paid $110.00 for 2 glasses of wine each, a steak sambo for him and really miserable looking piece of salmon with risotto for me.. very disappointing..

As I said, I'm sure we just went to the wrong spots and there are fantastic places to eat.. but we sure didn't find them..

I'm raging we didn't go down to Chinatown for some authentic Asian food.. if I go again I'm definitely doing that..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Had heard a lot about the Spotted Pig when we went. They had just reopened after the hurricane the day we went in, and it was slightly above average brunch fare using what I assumed were limited supplies. Would definitely go back there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

MVF ROCKS!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Was looking forward to the hotdogstands myself but to be honest they were brutal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Was looking forward to the hotdogstands myself but to be honest they were brutal

Hot Dogs are pretty bad, but my god the pretzels are unreal!

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭tomboylady

I've found that if you wander off the main drags the food is pretty great. Last time I was there I stayed in Queens and found this amazing diner type place that literally served me the best burger I have ever had in my life. I've never found the street food to be great. Also, check out the Blue Ribbon in Soho...the beef marrow with oxtail marmalade is an experience. Plus they open with a full menu until 4am!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

New York has fantastic restaurants and they're everywhere. Don't miss noodle shops in Chinatown or basically anything traditional in a neighbourhood. It is not known for it's streetfood unless you hit a farmer's market or the like. Dallas or L.A. is amazing for streetfood if you are hitting either of those.
    Have fun in Mexico, the food is astounding there!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

John's Pizzeria on Bleecker Street in Manhattan has amazing pizza! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Nathans Hot Dogs are the dogs dangilies

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

Most of the street food in NY looks pretty underwhelming to me and there are far to many good reasonably priced restaurants to even bother imho.

FWIW Grimaldi's on Fulton St under Brooklyn Bridge is the best pizza I've ever had by a country mile. I'd often heard that NY pizza was the best and always thought "meh" until I experienced it last month. Walk accross the bridge to build up the appetite and get excellent views of Manhattan.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

xzanti wrote: »
    I wasn't blown away by the food in NYC tbh.. I obviously can't speak for everywhere but the places we ate in weren't exactly amazing..

The hot dog carts are nothing to write home about.. nothing you can't get here really.. tasty enough though..

Also there's a place called Juniors, just off Times Square.. they're heavily advertised as "The best cheesecake you'll ever have".. tried it for ourselves and again, weren't blown away..

Also, heard a lot about portion sizes being huge, didn't notice that at all tbh.. in fact.. We had dinner at 2 Times Square in the Renaissance Hotel one evening.. expecting it to be amazing.. the menu was crap imho and way overpriced.. we paid $110.00 for 2 glasses of wine each, a steak sambo for him and really miserable looking piece of salmon with risotto for me.. very disappointing..

As I said, I'm sure we just went to the wrong spots and there are fantastic places to eat.. but we sure didn't find them..

I'm raging we didn't go down to Chinatown for some authentic Asian food.. if I go again I'm definitely doing that..

It's been a few years since since I was in NY but that about sums up my experience. Although, that said, the hot dog cart outside our hotel did pretty amazing hot dogs.

Generally I found the pub grub to fairly decent though, restaurants not so much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

The NYC chicken and rice that the stalls do is just fantastic.

Do a search for when the best guys are out, they only start at around 7 in the evening and it's just unreal food, especially after a few drinks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Sorry to be dredging up this thread, but there was the pizza chain in New York that just did pizza by the slice and it was the best pizza I have ever had!! I can't for the life of me remember the name of it though, I think it started with Z..

Advertisement