Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad evening BB speeds

Options
  • 15-01-2013 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Have had this problem for some time now. Up to 8mb package and getting really bad evening/nighttime speeds (300 plus pings and 0.75ms downloads)

Daytime speeds appear to be fine. Other users in the area have th esame issue.

IIs this a contention issue if everyone experiences the slow speeds at the same time each day??? Any help greatly appreciated..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭eircom: Linda

Glebee wrote: »
    Hi,

Have had this problem for some time now. Up to 8mb package and getting really bad evening/nighttime speeds (300 plus pings and 0.75ms downloads)

Daytime speeds appear to be fine. Other users in the area have th esame issue.

IIs this a contention issue if everyone experiences the slow speeds at the same time each day??? Any help greatly appreciated..
    Hi Glebee

I have tested your line from a previous case and everything is testing perfectly fine. I have also spoke to managers in broadband technical support who have confirmed your connection has been stable the last 17 hours. Is this the case from your end? As the BANAGHER exchange that your line is connected is not NGB enabled (and there is no indication as to when it may be I'm afraid) there is some measure of some congestion at the exchange during peak times. However broadband support advised they would need to trouble-shoot when you are having the issues to see if they can try and improve the situation, they can be contacted on 1890 260 260 (8am - 10pm, 7days).

Regards
    Linda

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭Glebee

I have tested your line from a previous case and everything is testing perfectly fine. I have also spoke to managers in broadband technical support who have confirmed your connection has been stable the last 17 hours. Is this the case from your end?

Thanks for the reply Linda and taking the time to test the line,

If perfectly fine means that every evening from approx 6pm until 1am in the morning my pings are over 300ms and download speeds drop to below 1Mbps then things are groovey. Broadband is almost unusable for anything except web browsing during this period.

Not just me but any Eircom customer Ive spoken to in the area is in the same boat. Any idea what sort of contention ratio we would be dealing with here?

Again just to say everything is fine outside the hours of 6pm until 1pm. Has to be contention??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Thanks for the reply Linda and taking the time to test the line,

If perfectly fine means that every evening from approx 6pm until 1am in the morning my pings are over 300ms and download speeds drop to below 1Mbps then things are groovey. Broadband is almost unusable for anything except web browsing during this period.

Not just me but any Eircom customer Ive spoken to in the area is in the same boat. Any idea what sort of contention ratio we would be dealing with here?

Again just to say everything is fine outside the hours of 6pm until 1pm. Has to be contention??

Hi Glebee,

I appreciate it is frustrating when there is noticeable congestion on the line during peak times.

Broadband support have some tips to help and try improve the speeds slightly if you wish to give them a call.

If there is any news about NGB enablement of your exchange we will let you know.

Thanks, Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭Glebee

Thanks Mark,

But its really a joke at this stage.

Question:Why am I paying for a service when half the time I cant use it?
    Answer: Because I have no other choice.

€125 every two months for broadband... More fool me I suppose.

I hear talks of ESB coming into the market and laying new fibre. The sooner the better me thinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Thanks Mark,

But its really a joke at this stage.

Question:Why am I paying for a service when half the time I cant use it?
    Answer: Because I have no other choice.

€125 every two months for broadband... More fool me I suppose.

I hear talks of ESB coming into the market and laying new fibre. The sooner the better me thinks.

Hi Glebee,

I am sorry I could not get back to you with better news / options. I did not want to give any false indications. However we do get updated exchange and service information every few weeks.

So if we do gat any news as I stated before we will let you know.

Thanks, Mark

• Advertisement
Advertisement