Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anywhere to Name n' Shame Rental Property Owners

Options
  • 15-01-2013 10:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭

Enquired about a room in a place to rent that I liked the sound of, was told it's mine if I wanted it, and to let them know after I went to see it. Went to see it, really liked it, tried to make contact with Owner, they didn't answer phone or return my calls or texts since. I texted at the time that I was still interested after seeing it, but they're not answering the phone at all for the last few days! :(

Now I have to find someplace else, possibly will have to pay more too as there's not a great selection around. :rolleyes: :/ I remember something similar happened to a friend before who had to spend 2-3 weeks paying for their accommodation to stay in until they found another house to rent after assumed earlier rental didn't happen due to similar circumstances! Fortunately I have somewhere else to stay temporarily till I find another house. But this is atrocious obnoxious despicable behaviour, no contact at all! - there isn't enough words under the sun to describe it! :mad: It's bizarre. :confused: Why ignore me after saying I could move in?!? :pac: Does this daft twit not realize that I need to know so that I can find somewhere else to live if needs be?! :rolleyes: Or am I obviously just expected to remain in limbo waiting till they get the finger out to make arrangements and get me moved in and sorted. I need to find a place to live, why on earth would they not let me know either way or what's happening or if they've changed their mind....... :( It's not a case of them taking their time deliberating over which prospective Tenant to pick, - it's not that I'm being un-reasonable waiting to hear back from them and am just being impatient, it's not that at all. Loads of houses you go to view rooms, Owner / other housemates or whoever would usually say something to the effect of there's a few more looking at the room, we'll let you know, which is fair enough, in that scenario one would just wait to hear and if they don't, they'd view / select other places they had looked at. But this person actually said it's mine if I want it. I wouldn't mind but the only thing is, there was 2 other properties with reasonable rent that I may have gone for / considered, but typically they've been removed from Accommodation Listings / Websites now. :rolleyes:

So, is there anywhere to name n' shame Cowboy problematic Rental Property Owners? :)

I'd expect something advertised on a reputable respectable / ed Website to equally be guaranteed reputable and respectable/respected! Certainly hadn't thought it would turn sour, there's enough people not answering phones between work and jobs and everyday general life-stuff, but Jesus like, I imagined this would be your average / staple bog-standard tenancy, find Ad., ring up, go view, get the place or don't get it, get it - pay Deposit and month's rent, get key and move in. Don't get it - look up more / other Ads., ring up and go view the others. There's no current house-maintenance ongoing that I'm aware of anyway or that was mentionned to me that would have stalled / held-up me moving in. But to be totally ignored without any contact whatsoever in this way is plain rude and crass etc.

It's most likely that they got a notion to rent out room, went and put up. Advert. and were pure lazy or just didn't think about what happens next at all as regards arrangements and set-up and sorting out Paper-work / Lease or whatever! :rolleyes: That's not at all fair / right to prospective Tenants that look up respectable reputable Ads. expecting to be the same, but certainly not to be ignored to the extreme. :/ The idea of looking up Ads. in the first instance is with the purpose of finding A / ANY / SOME place to bloody live in. Well if that isn't an example of false and mis-leading now I don't know what is! It's no biggie I guess - there are worse things happening all over, I havn't lost any money or anything of worth / value here, just disappointing and annoying that it happened! :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Pm sent!

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭jd1983

steddyeddy, can you pm me that name n shame link as well.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 33,610 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'd take care 'naming and shaming' anyone on the net these days.

Could find yourself getting sued, and since it was over something as simple as a person not getting back to you, could prove costly.

Can you not just forget about it and move on? Why do you feel so passionately about naming and shaming someone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭housetypeb

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Pm sent!

Can you send me the link too,thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭discodavie

me too it'd help

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Why bother? It's the landlord's loss if he can't be arsed to chase money! I'd say you dodged a bullet there OP. Plenty of other places to rent....

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Not here. Get a blog - but realise that you can still be sued.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭MMAGirl

A friend was having viewings on her place last week. Her mother died suddenly so she hasnt got back to anyone. You should hear the abusive messages and even more abusive texts she is getting from people who viewed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

I'm amazed that you got 5 paragraphs and 11 smileys out of someone not getting back to you.

Jesus, its not good that they didn't return your call but this kind of thing happens all the time in many many situations, get over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

Hi, I can understand your frustration and anger at this, but it could be a family emergency or some other event that was beyond their control.
    'Pick your battles wisely.'
    I think you should concentrate your energies with looking for another room not 'naming & shaming' on the internet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

OP sounds like a stage two renter stalker
    and a smiley for good measure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

If I placed an Advert. somewhere and didn't reply to responses a week or more afterwards; - I'd understandably rightfully-so logically expect a barrage of abuse for ignoring them. But anyway if ye actually read my o.p., it's not that - I get that occasionally it's not possible for people to reply back or even take 2 minutes out to return phone-calls or even send a quick text that would only take 40 seconds out of their day, - if something u-avoidable / unforeseen comes up I get that it just may not be possible at that time to reply back, these things can happen, that's fine. I don't mind at all in the general scheme of things that somebody doesn't get back to you, I'm well-used to it at this stage anyway! This is slightly different, it's not that I'm just waiting to hear back with an answer, I'm well-aware no-one is even in any way obliged to get back at all, I don't mind that. The thing is I was given an answer! Then they started ignoring me! Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think any genuine Landlord would let a person know that they had changed their mind if they told someone that they could move in, because they would know the person would now have to find another place to live.

What needs to be highlighted is that I was told I had the room so therefore was under the impression I'd be moving in and wouldn't have to find another place to move to, so it's not even about concentrating my energies on finding another place when I was informed I wouldn't have to find another place!! :P

Also wasn't suggesting doing so here, was asking here.

There's nothing to sue about either, Phone records will speak for themselves.

There's no battles to be picked, fought, won, or lost in this. The plain, simple, and clear facts are; - that if they were an anyways-genuine knowledgeable Landlord at all, they should have known full-well it was the wrong thing to do to tell me I had it when they weren't going to go through with it for whatever reason, they would had to have known that I still would have to find another place to live even though I was told the opposite! They were completely in the wrong, and they shouldn't be allowed do something like that. Even a text fired-off to say sorry for the delay or just to let me know that something came up would be perfectly sufficient and acceptable and at the very least go some way towards an explanation. But no. Nothing. Nada.

Smart-ass Forum thattaway........... >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Sometimes I don't see why people feel the need to discuss other things rather than the question posed/asked. Is that not the whole idea of categorized/specialized Individual Sub-Forums?!? Anyways thanks to those who provided much-appreciated HELPFUL answers. For anyone else it was a totally pointless exercise and a complete waste of yere time writing when ye didn't even answer the question D'OH!

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

Enquired about a room in a place to rent that I liked the sound of, was told it's mine if I wanted it, and to let them know after I went to see it. Went to see it, really liked it, tried to make contact with Owner, they didn't answer phone or return my calls or texts since. I texted at the time that I was still interested after seeing it, but they're not answering the phone at all for the last few days! :(

Now I have to find someplace else, possibly will have to pay more too as there's not a great selection around. :rolleyes: :/ I remember something similar happened to a friend before who had to spend 2-3 weeks paying for their accommodation to stay in until they found another house to rent after assumed earlier rental didn't happen due to similar circumstances! Fortunately I have somewhere else to stay temporarily till I find another house. But this is atrocious obnoxious despicable behaviour, no contact at all! - there isn't enough words under the sun to describe it! :mad: It's bizarre. :confused: Why ignore me after saying I could move in?!? :pac: Does this daft twit not realize that I need to know so that I can find somewhere else to live if needs be?! :rolleyes: Or am I obviously just expected to remain in limbo waiting till they get the finger out to make arrangements and get me moved in and sorted. I need to find a place to live, why on earth would they not let me know either way or what's happening or if they've changed their mind....... :( It's not a case of them taking their time deliberating over which prospective Tenant to pick, - it's not that I'm being un-reasonable waiting to hear back from them and am just being impatient, it's not that at all. Loads of houses you go to view rooms, Owner / other housemates or whoever would usually say something to the effect of there's a few more looking at the room, we'll let you know, which is fair enough, in that scenario one would just wait to hear and if they don't, they'd view / select other places they had looked at. But this person actually said it's mine if I want it. I wouldn't mind but the only thing is, there was 2 other properties with reasonable rent that I may have gone for / considered, but typically they've been removed from Accommodation Listings / Websites now. :rolleyes:

So, is there anywhere to name n' shame Cowboy problematic Rental Property Owners? :)

I'd expect something advertised on a reputable respectable / ed Website to equally be guaranteed reputable and respectable/respected! Certainly hadn't thought it would turn sour, there's enough people not answering phones between work and jobs and everyday general life-stuff, but Jesus like, I imagined this would be your average / staple bog-standard tenancy, find Ad., ring up, go view, get the place or don't get it, get it - pay Deposit and month's rent, get key and move in. Don't get it - look up more / other Ads., ring up and go view the others. There's no current house-maintenance ongoing that I'm aware of anyway or that was mentionned to me that would have stalled / held-up me moving in. But to be totally ignored without any contact whatsoever in this way is plain rude and crass etc.

It's most likely that they got a notion to rent out room, went and put up. Advert. and were pure lazy or just didn't think about what happens next at all as regards arrangements and set-up and sorting out Paper-work / Lease or whatever! :rolleyes: That's not at all fair / right to prospective Tenants that look up respectable reputable Ads. expecting to be the same, but certainly not to be ignored to the extreme. :/ The idea of looking up Ads. in the first instance is with the purpose of finding A / ANY / SOME place to bloody live in. Well if that isn't an example of false and mis-leading now I don't know what is! It's no biggie I guess - there are worse things happening all over, I havn't lost any money or anything of worth / value here, just disappointing and annoying that it happened! :(

a tad OTT dont you think? maybe the landlord just "wasn't that into you!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

The way it works is you only have the room, or even expectation of the room when you hand over a deposit to secure it. Looks like someone got in before you.

Advertisement