Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any experience summer job hunting abroad?

Options
  • 15-01-2013 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

Has anybody any experience of student job hunting abroad?

Has anyone got any stories experience of this?

I am heading to Amsterdam next week and want to get my foot in the door and ask about the place!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

I've worked in Gran Canaria, Ibiza, Tenerife, Australia & Amsterdam all within the last 7 years, travelled with a friend firstly to Gran CAnaria as we both went for summer work. Ended up staying there 3 years and travelled after that with friends I met in Gran Canaria.

All them places except for Amsterdam & Australia requires just a nice clean look plus a good out going personality to get a job in, however if its just Summer work in Amsterdam you're after & money is no great concern, just pulling & partying in Amsterdam then I highly recommend you go down to the Flying Pig Downtown Hostel just on the skirts of the red light district. They are always hiring people for there bar, and/or desk at the hostel plus handy men etc. pay isn't great there but free beer constantly and that bar in the hostel gets pretty wreck less, it's always busy.

After that, then it's all word of mouth in Amsterdam, lots of ex pats living there, once you get friendly with a few & ask them keep you in mind for things etc work will always pop up.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭PaurGasm

Cheers for the reply! I'd say you have some amazing memories from all them places!

Im actually staying in the Fly Pig Downtown, 2nd time ive stayed there, so I might get onto them and ask for any work :P

Thanks again man!

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭PaurGasm

gstack166 wrote: »
    I've worked in Gran Canaria, Ibiza, Tenerife, Australia & Amsterdam all within the last 7 years, travelled with a friend firstly to Gran CAnaria as we both went for summer work. Ended up staying there 3 years and travelled after that with friends I met in Gran Canaria.

All them places except for Amsterdam & Australia requires just a nice clean look plus a good out going personality to get a job in, however if its just Summer work in Amsterdam you're after & money is no great concern, just pulling & partying in Amsterdam then I highly recommend you go down to the Flying Pig Downtown Hostel just on the skirts of the red light district. They are always hiring people for there bar, and/or desk at the hostel plus handy men etc. pay isn't great there but free beer constantly and that bar in the hostel gets pretty wreck less, it's always busy.

After that, then it's all word of mouth in Amsterdam, lots of ex pats living there, once you get friendly with a few & ask them keep you in mind for things etc work will always pop up.

BTW man, did you drop in a CV or how did you go about it in Amsterdam?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

I never worked in the Flying Pig Downtown, but I used to drink there & knew a lot of staff. Just ask them while you're drinking, unless I'm mistaken there's a job section on there website which if I can remember correctly is just basically they want an email off you saying you're looking for work & they'll contact you back. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 shaneoreillyo

gstack166 wrote: »

Hello gstack im planning on going to the tenerife or the canaries for the summer working. Just wondering about how hard it is to get jobs do i need to speak some spanish. Is it possible to break even over there aswell excluding flights. Any other experience you had of the place greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot

• Advertisement
Advertisement