Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

low fat healthy vegan sandwich ideas?

Options
  • 15-01-2013 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what combinations do you find good?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Houmous and roasted peppers springs to mind.

Other than that, I sometimes make lentil pate which is lovely on toast or in sandwiches.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭madrabui

1) Mashed up avocado and sprouted beans.
    2) Pickled Autumn Veg (in a jar) from the local Polish shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

Shenshen wrote: »
    Other than that, I sometimes make lentil pate which is lovely on toast or in sandwiches.
    Ooh, lentil pate sounds lovely!
    Do you have a recipe, Shenshen?

quaalude wrote: »
    Ooh, lentil pate sounds lovely!
    Do you have a recipe, Shenshen?

Well, not so much a recipe, I never measure what I use to make it, but I can guess:

Soak 1 cup of green, brown or puy lentils for a few hours in plain water.

Dice an onion and fry slowly until soft and slightly transparent.
    Add the lentils to the pot and fill up with stock, just enough to cover the lentils. Keep simmering until the lentils are soft, topping up the stock if it gets too dry.
    Once the lentils are soft, add a handful of porridge oats, then blend the mixture with a hand blender or in a food processor.
    Return it to the pot an put it on the heat again for a short while to allow it to thicken (keep stirring it). Once it's thick enough, removed from heat and let it cool down.

You can season it any way you want. My two favourites are a handful of fresh herbs thrown in just before blending it all up, or some pre-soaked dried mushrooms added while the lentils are cooking.
    I've tried curry in it, but that wasn't all that great.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭spiralbound

Hummus, grated carrot, baby spinach.
    Fake turkey slices, loads of baby spinach, vegan mayo. Add avocado if you have it.
    Baked tofu, lettuce, tomato, mayo.
    Roughly mashed chickpeas mixed with finely diced onion and mayo, lettuce and slices of tomato.

• Advertisement

Well, not so much a recipe, I never measure what I use to make it, but I can guess:

Soak 1 cup of green, brown or puy lentils for a few hours in plain water.

Dice an onion and fry slowly until soft and slightly transparent.
    Add the lentils to the pot and fill up with stock, just enough to cover the lentils. Keep simmering until the lentils are soft, topping up the stock if it gets too dry.
    Once the lentils are soft, add a handful of porridge oats, then blend the mixture with a hand blender or in a food processor.
    Return it to the pot an put it on the heat again for a short while to allow it to thicken (keep stirring it). Once it's thick enough, removed from heat and let it cool down.

You can season it any way you want. My two favourites are a handful of fresh herbs thrown in just before blending it all up, or some pre-soaked dried mushrooms added while the lentils are cooking.
    I've tried curry in it, but that wasn't all that great.

That sounds lovely, Shenshen - thanks for taking the time to post the recipe. I will try making it this week.

I made this and it was lovely.
    I sauteed some mushrooms along with the onion (I used a red onion).
    I'm not a vegan, so I threw in some butter at the end, just to improve the texture.
    I had it with thin toast, it was delicious, and my non-vegetarian partner thought the same.
    Thanks!

quaalude wrote: »
    I made this and it was lovely.
    I sauteed some mushrooms along with the onion (I used a red onion).
    I'm not a vegan, so I threw in some butter at the end, just to improve the texture.
    I had it with thin toast, it was delicious, and my non-vegetarian partner thought the same.
    Thanks!

Glad you like it! :):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭molly09

HI

Just wondering fo you think that it would be ok to bake Portobello Mushrooms in the evening and reheat them in the micromwve for lunch teh following day.

If so any recommendations what to have with them that would be low fat/carb. I woul dnormally have toast but I am trying to limit bread at the moment.

thnaks in advance for any advice

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭spiralbound

Are you looking for lower carb lunch ideas? If you're limiting carbs, you should probably not worry too much about fats - you need something to fill you up. (Sorry I didn't notice the low fat part of your request and gave loads of ideas with mayo!)

I'm not sure about the mushrooms, you could give it a go and see what they're like, they might go a bit rubbery?

If you have access to a microwave, you could take leftovers from dinner and reheat them, or a soup or stew. You could have a salad with tofu/avocado and whatever salad ingredients you fancy. I really like the tofu that Dunnes sell, it's got a good texture. You can cube it up, put it on a baking tray and sprinkle with a bit of olive oil, lemon juice, whatever herbs take your fancy, and bake it for about half an hour, flipping over about half way through. This will keep fine in the fridge for a few days - I throw a bunch of cubes onto a salad to get some protein, or mix with pasta and sauce straight from the oven.

• Advertisement
Advertisement