Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

colonoscopy...getting home

Options
  • 15-01-2013 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm due to have a colonoscopy in the Beacon Hosp in a few weeks, but for a number of reason I don't have anyone to collect me afterwards.

Does anyone know if they will let me have the procedure and just get a taxi home, or will they turn me away?

Cheers...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭handbagmad

you should be ok with that. You just cant drive yourself after sedation ect. I had another one done recently and was up and about half hour after proceedure.
    hope all goes well

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭frfintanstack

Ask for it without sedation. If you think you can manage it. :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Normally they'll ask you how you got there, and offer to order you a taxi, if you need one. You can get it done without the sedation as per above, but life is too short......

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

That shouldn't be a problem. You can't drive under any circumstances but you won't be totally knocked out so getting a taxi will be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭aidan.connolly

Hi ,

I had one a few months ago in the Bons Holpital in Dublin. I am not a medical person.

On the letter they give me, the below note is included.

N.B. YOU WILL NOT BE PERMITTED TO DRIVE HOME AFTER THE PROCEDURE. YOU SHOULD ARRANGE TO BE COLLECTED. IF YOU GET A TAXI, YOU MUST BE ACCOMPANIED HOME WITH A RESPONSIBLE ADULT AND BE SUPERVISED UNTIL THE FOLLOWING MORNING.

I would advise to try and get someone to go with you.

Good luck with it.

Aidan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

Wishing you the best of luck. Just came back after bringing a mate back from Vincents, for a biopsy for the prostate, he was not permitted to drive after the procedure.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭trishasaffron

Yes you can get a taxi - tell them your friend is waiting for you at home. Woman next to me insisted she was ok for getting the Dart home - the nurses went spare but she insisted. They're just concerned about liability.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭leinster_fan

Thanks a mil for all the replies.

I was just concerned that they wouldn't do the procedure at all unless I had someone with me.

I think I'll just say nothing about getting a taxi until afterwards, and then it's too late for them to say anything!

How groggy are you after having it done? Is it similar to having a few too many drinks?!

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭aidan.connolly

Hi,

From memory, after you are done, you are left to sleep for about 90 minutes, then you are given tea and toast.

The one thing I found each time ( I have had 4 done over the past 2 years ), is that when I meet the consultant about 1 hour after the tea and toast, I did not remember all that he said to me.

That was one major benefit of having someone with you. You may not remember all that is said to you. :confused:

regards

Aidan

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭pitkan

Hi leinster fan, I had the procedure done (it's very common) as well as the down throat procedure (I'm not going to try spelling that word) and with regard to the Colonoscopy, I awoke towards the end of it, and facing the monitor, I was fascinated with what I saw and it made the whole (excuse the pun) procedure worth while.

I was groggy after I left the hospital with a friend so, driving would definitely be out of the question.

The taking of the supplied powders the day before: Be aware that you should be close to a toilet and that feeling that...'Ah, this is just wind that's coming'... it is not the case. Hope I described that plain enough.

The second time I watched as they cauterised nodes inside and all in all it is nothing to get uptight about. Remember that if there is a problem inside that it will be seen to.

Best of luck.

• Advertisement
Advertisement