Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time to get serious!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Thanks for the replies lads, I'll respond when I'm on the computer. Can't follow everything between them now :pac:

I will clear something up though. It was on the 150 x 5 that my mate said my form was good. As you can see from the vid, he was happy I lifted 180, not with my form.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,168 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Ridley, literally everyone who has posted in this thread is pretending you're there 18 year old self and giving you the advice that they wish they had then. Everyone here was in your exact same position and did exactly same thing (but we now wish we hadn't)

God dam it I had a big long reply written out and boards ate it.

I'll write it again on the computer

Today:

Squats:

50kg x 3 up in 10kgs to 95kg x 3 x 3

Front Squats:

50kg x 5 x 5

Bench:

50kg x 5 up to 75kg x 3. Reps of 3 after 65kg.

DB Flat Bench:

30kg x 8 x 3

Peck/Dec:

45 x 8 x 3
    60 x 5

Won't be using this again cause it rips my shoulders.

Some squats from Friday;

Your heels seem to be lifting off of the ground on some reps. Maybe this is because of your shoes? — or maybe it's an ankle flexibility issue. Either way, such movement is not ideal.

• Advertisement

gvn wrote: »
    Your heels seem to be lifting off of the ground on some reps. Maybe this is because of your shoes? — or maybe it's an ankle flexibility issue. Either way, such movement is not ideal.

I noticed that myself. I think it's down to my own stance, it's there on some sets and disappears on others. I have vids from today where it's not there. Then again, it could also be the shoes.

Monday 20th May

Squats

*With Band Around Legs*

Bar x million + 1
    40kg x 8
    50kg x 8
    60kg x 8
    70kg x 8

*Band Off*

85kg x 6 x 3

*Band On*

70kg x 8 x 2

Leg Curls

40 x 8
    50 x 8
    60 x 8

DB SLDL

42kg x 10 x 2

Pull Ups & Neutral Chins

5 sets of 6 on each.

Biceps

Usual curls and that.

Had a driving lesson then, nearly finished them thank god.

*Back To The Gym*

Abzzzzz

Supersetted things like leg raises, crunches etc..

Form Practice

Lots of deadlift form with wooden plates.

Also did some weightlifting and if anyone in the know would be kind enough to critique my form that would be awesome.

Worked up to 80kg and that was that.

Videos:

80% Squat @ 85kg x 6:

Deadlifting & Weightlifting Videos:

DL 1:

DL 2:

DL 3.

DL 4.

DL 5.

Others:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

Some observations on the Oly lifting - I'm by no means a pro, just getting back into a bit of it myself casually so any of the other guys may correct me on this.

On the Clean & Jerk you really need to get under the bar quickly and get those elbows up higher. At present when you finish your clean you elbows are pointing to the floor. Any type of weight at all will just roll back off your delts with this position, amongst other issues. Ideally your elbow/arm position before the jerk should look like this:

clean-and-jerk-anatomy2.jpeg?w=485&h=456&crop=1

Another one I spotted in both your clean & jerk and snatch is that on the upward movement in both, you are really hopping the bar off your quads just above your knees. You're focusing so much on bouncing the bar that you are actually jumping forward about a foot. Watch the vids, you'll see yourself getting a bit unstable and trying to reset back to your original footing.

I know there are differing schools of thought on bouncing off the legs/waist but IMO and from my own experience learning, I find it a nightmare once you start adding weight. When I started and used to bounce the bar off my quads with weight on it, it pushed it out of my area of balance and I felt like I lost a lot of leverage if that makes sense. As I added more weight, it seemed to suck the speed out of the lift too as well as taking more energy, made it overall more difficult and bouncing it just became a non runner. Stripped back to just the bar, got some proper tips, concentrated on just keeping it close, brushing the legs on the way up and felt much more comfortable and controlled.

Again, all just my opinion and open to correction. Would like to hear opinions on the second bit!

ronanc15 wrote: »
    Some observations on the Oly lifting - I'm by no means a pro, just getting back into a bit of it myself casually so any of the other guys may correct me on this.

On the Clean & Jerk you really need to get under the bar quickly and get those elbows up higher. At present when you finish your clean you elbows are pointing to the floor. Any type of weight at all will just roll back off your delts with this position, amongst other issues. Ideally your elbow/arm position before the jerk should look like this:

clean-and-jerk-anatomy2.jpeg?w=485&h=456&crop=1

Another one I spotted in both your clean & jerk and snatch is that on the upward movement in both, you are really hopping the bar off your quads just above your knees. You're focusing so much on bouncing the bar that you are actually jumping forward about a foot. Watch the vids, you'll see yourself getting a bit unstable and trying to reset back to your original footing.

I know there are differing schools of thought on bouncing off the legs/waist but IMO and from my own experience learning, I find it a nightmare once you start adding weight. When I started and used to bounce the bar off my quads with weight on it, it pushed it out of my area of balance and I felt like I lost a lot of leverage if that makes sense. As I added more weight, it seemed to suck the speed out of the lift too as well as taking more energy, made it overall more difficult and bouncing it just became a non runner. Stripped back to just the bar, got some proper tips, concentrated on just keeping it close, brushing the legs on the way up and felt much more comfortable and controlled.

Again, all just my opinion and open to correction. Would like to hear opinions on the second bit!

Thanks for the reply Ronan, much appreciated.

I knew myself the bounce wasn't right/needed but was just watching some clips on youtube last night and said I'd try while I had the time, space and wooden plates.

Oly lifting is something that I wanted to start for a while and even if it's just light weight or none even, I'll be happy once I have the form down.

Re the elbows- I knew at the time I should have them parralell to the floor or at least higher like front squats but with no weight, I didn't have anything to worry about. Then again, I should have done it anyway regardless of the weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

Thanks for the reply Ronan, much appreciated.

I knew myself the bounce wasn't right/needed but was just watching some clips on youtube last night and said I'd try while I had the time, space and wooden plates.

Oly lifting is something that I wanted to start for a while and even if it's just light weight or none even, I'll be happy once I have the form down.

Re the elbows- I knew at the time I should have them parralell to the floor or at least higher like front squats but with no weight, I didn't have anything to worry about. Then again, I should have done it anyway regardless of the weight.

You know yourself, save yourself the time and effort (& boards abuse lol) and get that form nailed from the start.

• Advertisement

ronanc15 wrote: »
    You know yourself, save yourself the time and effort (& boards abuse lol) and get that form nailed from the start.

:pac:

I know, I hadn't too much of an in sight on how to fix this other then fire it up here and see how things go. Whereas the deadlifts have gone well I think. Elliot Hulse e-mailed me back a few days ago which was awesome so I'll work on what he said. He then posted a video with Omar Isuf of deadlifting form etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

Weightlifting. They're not really lifts that lend themselves to a written explanation but anyway.

Yes keep the elbows high in a clean ala a front squat. The squat portion is a front squat so the bar should rest on your shoulders with your hands just 'holding' the bar against them. The hands don't need to gripping the bar.

No don't bounce the bar. The bar will make contact with thighs in the clean and hip in the snatch but that's a result of putting the bar in a good position above the knee.

Two things are important in the snatch and clean. Keeping the bar close before and after hip extension is one and staying on your heels or keeping flat footed as long as possible is the other. Ok there are lots of other important things to consider too but these are a good start.

I think the best approach to learning the lifts is from the top down. Front squat>clean from the hip>from above the knee>from below the knee>from the floor. The first pull is not a deadlift by the way. Get better at each position before moving onto the next. It's not ideal learning on your own because you really do need someone who knows what they're doing watching and correcting each position but there you go.

If you want some online resources google Glenn Pendlay, Mike Burgener or Greg Everett drills. I wouldn't be fan of all them but it's a better place to start than simply watching vids of the lifts and trying to copy them.

And I think your DL looks grand. Is your back not supposed to look like a C?

Scuba Ste wrote: »
    Weightlifting. They're not really lifts that lend themselves to a written explanation but anyway.

Yes keep the elbows high in a clean ala a front squat. The squat portion is a front squat so the bar should rest on your shoulders with your hands just 'holding' the bar against them. The hands don't need to gripping the bar.

No don't bounce the bar. The bar will make contact with thighs in the clean and hip in the snatch but that's a result of putting the bar in a good position above the knee.

Two things are important in the snatch and clean. Keeping the bar close before and after hip extension is one and staying on your heels or keeping flat footed as long as possible is the other. Ok there are lots of other important things to consider too but these are a good start.

I think the best approach to learning the lifts is from the top down. Front squat>clean from the hip>from above the knee>from below the knee>from the floor. The first pull is not a deadlift by the way. Get better at each position before moving onto the next. It's not ideal learning on your own because you really do need someone who knows what they're doing watching and correcting each position but there you go.

If you want some online resources google Glenn Pendlay, Mike Burgener or Greg Everett drills. I wouldn't be fan of all them but it's a better place to start than simply watching vids of the lifts and trying to copy them.

And I think your DL looks grand. Is your back not supposed to look like a C?

Thanks for the reply Scuba Ste.

I'll give everything you mentioned a shot when I go at this again. I understand what you mean by learning by myself being a balls but there are no qualified oly instructors in my gym and I've only seen one person do a snatch and that was months ago.

I'll hit up thise youtube channels and download some of their videos and put them onto the ipod so I can view them training.

The C is going from my deads once and for all:pac: Flat back ftw!

Trained chest and triceps today. Had a good talk about crossfit with some of the lads earlier. Silly **** that is: pac:

Late posting because I'm literally just in the door from playing taxi for the gf and a few mates. Wrecked to say the least

Sleeeeeeeeep.

Wednesday 22 May

I'm tired, I'm hungry.. I'll take this time to set an OHP PR.

Warm Up

Loads of shoulder traction, mobility and dislocations.
    Stretches
    Foam Rolled.. Who knew this would hurt ten times more when your back is sun burned? Well it f*cking does!!

OHP

Bar x 12
    25kg x 12
    30kg x 12
    40kg x 10
    45kg x 8
    50kg x 5
    65kg x 1

Superset- Underhand Barbell Raises & DB Side Lateral Raises

20kg x 10 x 3
    10kg x 10 x 3

Reverse Flyes & Plate Shrugs

10kg x 10 x 3
    25kg x 10 x 3 w/2sec hold at the top.

Deltoid Press

30 x 10 x 2

Pec/Dec

15 x 15
    20 x 15
    25 x 12

Cardio

HIIT on treadmill. Burned 200kcals.
    Stepper for 100kcals.

Shattered.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

What's a deltoid press?

What's a deltoid press?

This thingy;

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTZ9Bs1nIel3S6hyHPJe4ZtOQ_SVSTMkhE2T7BAS8_1sLKEO6u0

Just the name on the machine:pac: You probably have another word for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Ah - seated machine shoulder press.

Gotcha

Back Day

Deadlifts 5x5 at 100kg. Great form here slowly adding weight.

Pull Ups 5 x 8.

T Bar Rows 5 x 8 up to 95kg

Lat Pulldown 5 x 8. Did reverse grip too for same sets x reps.

Cable Rows 3 x 10

Lat Pushdowns 5 x 8

Then biceps for millions.

Cardio

HIIT on treadmill for 200kcals
    Stepper for 100kcals

Wrecked. Looking forward to sleeping this weekend. Have videos of the deadlifts but I can't put them up till Sunday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Wednesday 22 May

Foam Rolled.. Who knew this would hurt ten times more when your back is sun burned? Well it f*cking does!!

I know the weather aint been great - but ya gotta lay off the beds, Brah... :pac:

• Advertisement

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    I know the weather aint been great - but ya gotta lay off the beds, Brah... :pac:

Man Tuesday was roasting! I was out painting the fence and the breeze was blowing and I got roasted :O

Any plans for yourself regarding training?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Man Tuesday was roasting! I was out painting the fence and the breeze was blowing and I got roasted :O

Any plans for yourself regarding training?

Back for a third cycle of BLAB in next few weeks methinks... just tippin' about at the minute...

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    Back for a third cycle of BLAB in next few weeks methinks... just tippin' about at the minute...

If the results come from it what harm:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

Tom Sawyer over here getting swole.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Tom never actually painted the fence though

I just started on a home dip station. A thing of beauty it is not but it's going well. Made a boat for the leaving how hard could this be?:pac:

Monday 27th May

Warm Up

Shoulder Mobility
    Band Pull Aparts
    Stretching

Squats

25kg x 10
    40kg x 8
    50kg x 8
    60kg x 8
    70kg x 5 x 2
    80kg x 5
    90kg x 5 x 3 (Technically a reps PR)

Split another pair of pants squatting today:pac: F*ckin' love those pants:(

50kg x 10 x 4

Pull Ups

3 muscle ups before doing these :D

BW x 10 x 3
    BW +15kg x 3
    BW +10kg x 5
    BW +5kg x 8
    BW x 8

DB Press

26kg x 8 x 3
    30kg x 6 x 2

Cable Crossover

15 x 10
    20 x 10
    25 x 10
    30 x 10

Pec/Dec

35 x 10 x 3

Chest Press & Tricep Pushdowns w/ Large V Bar

Set 1:

70 x 10
    35 x 10

Set 2:

90 x 10
    45 x 10

Set 3:

110 x 10
    55 x 10

Set 4:

130 x 10
    65 x 10

Ab Attack

Hanging Knee Raises
    Leg Raises
    Supported Hanging Leg Raises
    Ab Machine

Cardio

12min run @ 12km/hr.

Kebab, chips and a 99 as post work out meal:pac:

Video from today's squats:

And a video from last Fridays deadlifting 'form' session:

Critique anyone?

Wasn't in great from today and the warm up sets felt very heavy. I'll re-do these squats Friday and next week look at 95kg x 5 x 3. The following week then will be 100kg x 3-5 x 3. Then I'll test. Basically, all going well I'll test squats on the 10th of June.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭divito06

Is your chest press on a machine or bench?

divito06 wrote: »
    Is your chest press on a machine or bench?

Machine. I didn't feel like using the barbell today.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭divito06

Machine. I didn't feel like using the barbell today.:pac:

I taught the weight was high for your bench.
    All the same do keep up the good work.

No pain no gain.

Advertisement