Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time to get serious!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,316 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Squats look much better. Heels aren't raising any more.
    Nice work with press PR and muscke ups. Any vids? I still can't nail muscle up technique.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Mellor wrote: »
    Squats look much better. Heels aren't raising any more.
    Nice work with press PR and muscke ups. Any vids? I still can't nail muscle up technique.

No vids of the press which is disappointing. I'll get a video of a muscle up next time I decide to go at them :) they're a tricky thing to get the hang of.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,168 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Lifts starting to look much better.

Do you have any front-on vids of the squats? Useful to check how your knees are tracking. Possibility that they are collapsing in from video. Can't confirm though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Sangre wrote: »

Do you have any front-on vids of the squats? Useful to check how your knees are tracking. Possibility that they are collapsing in from video. Can't confirm though.

My knees certainly collapse in when I'm squatting. I was Bodyweight squatting yesterday while facing a mirror and I could see that it's more pronounced on my right side and seems more to do with my ankle?? How can I combat this?

I'll get a front on video the next say I squat. I use a band around my upper knee when warming up doing squats to make sure I have more of an outward force with my knees once coming out of the whole so I was hoping it would turn over to the heavier stuff.

You could be right and on some of the squats the do fall in when I begin to struggle. I'll here a front view next time :)

• Advertisement

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    My knees certainly collapse in when I'm squatting. I was Bodyweight squatting yesterday while facing a mirror and I could see that it's more pronounced on my right side and seems more to do with my ankle?? How can I combat this?

Most likely a mobility issue given that your knees are collapsing with just BW squats. Have you noticed any difference in ROM for your the right side of your hips and ankles? Look up some mobility tests for hips and ankles and you can compare the difference in their ROM. Work on your mobility then, in particular your tight side, especially that tight ankle.

Other than that, an integral part of your squat technique should be forcing your knees out as you come out of the hole. Try some BW squats with band around knees to improve techinque.
    I'll get a front on video the next say I squat. I use a band around my upper knee when warming up doing squats to make sure I have more of an outward force with my knees once coming out of the whole so I was hoping it would turn over to the heavier stuff.

You could be right and on some of the squats the do fall in when I begin to struggle. I'll here a front view next time :)

It will turn over to heavier stuff, keep at it. If they do collapses in its probably only slightly, however, now is the perfect time to get work on it if it’s an issue.

By the way, I am not a squatting expert so don't take everything I say as gospel.

Cheers Sangre. I'll probably be squatting again Thursday or something and I'll take a front shot. I don't know where the idea of the band around the knees came from tbh. I just noticed before I started my progression squats that my knees fell in and that the band would help. I don't think I read it anywhere :pac:

On another note, I weighted in at 172.8 pounds. I'll have to start slowing down this weight loss before I loss muscle mass. I so look a little fuller so to speak. Im at roughly 12% bf but compared to when I started it's unreal. My legs have had such growth lately, I've got some nasty stretch marks, lats are more visible and I look much thicker. There's a picture of me at the beach last August and I'd say I'm 67kg and it looks so unhealthy. Even the parents, girlfriend and mates say I look healthier/happier since putting on 7-10kg.

I look forward to leaning down and getting into single digit BF%.

/rant. :pac:

Wednesday 29th May

Warm Up

Band Pull Aparts
    Foam Rolling
    Dislocations
    Wall Slides

Pull Ups

BW x 8 x 3
    +5kg x 5
    +10kg x 3
    +15kg x 2
    BW x 5

Neutral Grip Chins

BW x 10 x 3

Deltoid Press

30 x 12
    35 x 10
    40 x 10
    45 x 8
    50 x 8

Lat Raises & Front Raises

8kg x 10 x 3 on each

Rear Delt Flyes & Shrugs w/DB

10kg x 10 x 3
    30kg x 10 x 3

Pushdowns & Close Grip Press Ups

30 x 10

35 x 10

40 x 10

45 x 10

Cable Kickbacks

10 x 10 x 4 (Each Arm)

Abs + Cardio

Knee Raises
    Leg Raises
    Crunches

10min run @ 10km/hr
    Stepper for 100kcals.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Do you really need a belt squatting 90kg?

I think you're over compensating for a very weak trunk (low back, obliques & abs)

You're hitting depth but not spending much time in the hole & you're pitching forward big time, almost turning it into a good morning at the end of the movement.

I'd say you're best bet would be to be k off with the weight, focus on technique & try to improve your motor patterns

Do you really need a belt squatting 90kg?

I think you're over compensating for a very weak trunk (low back, obliques & abs)

You're hitting depth but not spending much time in the hole & you're pitching forward big time, almost turning it into a good morning at the end of the movement.

I'd say you're best bet would be to be k off with the weight, focus on technique & try to improve your motor patterns

Yeah I do need the belt doing 90kg. I don't think my lower back or abs are all that weak tbh. I use the belt to prevent injury like I would with OHP and deadlifts. I notice I pitch forwards but it only gets really bad when I start to struggle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Yeah I do need the belt doing 90kg. I don't think my lower back or abs are all that weak tbh. I use the belt to prevent injury like I would with OHP and deadlifts. I notice I pitch forwards but it only gets really bad when I start to struggle.

Right.

If technique is good, you wouldn't get injured performing the lift(s), you'd just fail the lift, if that makes sense.

I thi k you've added the belt too early tbh.
    Anyway, that's my 2 cents, you asked for a critique

Thursday 30th May

Warm Up

Stretches
    Mobility

Squats

40kg x 10 x 2
    50kg x 5 x 2
    60kg x 5 x 2
    70kg x 5 x 2
    80kg x 5
    90kg x 5
    100kg x 2 x 2

Rack Pulls

70kg x 10
    100kg x 10
    110kg x 10
    130kg x 8
    150kg x 5

Lat Pull Down (Neutral Grip) & Cable Rows

60 x 10
    65 x 10
    70 x 10

35 x 8 x 3

Lat Pull Down(To Front)

50 x 10 x 4

Pull Ups & Neutral Chinzz

Pull Ups

BW x 8 x 3

Chinzz

BW +5kg x 5 x 3
    BW +10kg x 5 x 3

Bent Over Rows

50kg x 10 x 3
    60kg x 10

Biceps

35kg x 10 x 5 Barbell Curls
    14kg x 10 x 5 Hammer Curls

Videos From Squats;

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭imnothim

i really think you should work on your ability to record yourself, technique is awful. maybe reduce the volume of video's that your uploading untill you can complete one video with perfect cinematic form.
    going for max uploaded video's every week, when there all shot from every angle bar the correct one will lead to neck injuries. for everyone.:)

I really don't know why the heavy set went up upside down?:pac: lighting is shocking in the gym for a front view on squats though so that can't be helped :P

wrote:
    :)

Sort those videos out Ridley, giving a crick in my neck...

:)

Sort those videos out Ridley, giving a crick in my neck...

I don't get it though I videoed them with the phone upright and they still go arseways!

Anyway, what do you think of my outward knees?

Seems ok from video. I'd be interested to see a front view squat at a heavier weight without the band though. Particularly in the 3-5 rep range.

Seems ok from video. I'd be interested to see a front view squat at a heavier weight without the band though. Particularly in the 3-5 rep range.

Tuesday I'm due to do 95kg x 5 x 3 as my heavy set so I'll record that from the front (as best I can:pac:).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I don't get it though I videoed them with the phone upright and they still go arseways!

Turn off auto rotation.

Turn off auto rotation.

Is that a setting on YouTube?

• Advertisement

No it would be on your phone.

No it would be on your phone.

When I watch the videos on my phone they show upright. I don't know what goes on when I upload them.

When I watch the videos on my phone they show upright. I don't know what goes on when I upload them.

That's 'cause you've got auto rotation on probably.

Tuesday 4th June

Warm Up

Mobility stuffs etc..

Bench Press

Bar x 10 x 2
    30kg x 10 x 2
    40kg x 8 x 2
    50kg x 8 x 2
    60kg x 8
    70kg x 5 x 2
    60kg x 8 x 3

DB Press

26kg x 8 x 3

Chest Press

110 x 10 x 2
    130 x 10
    150 x 10
    170 x 5 x 2

Push Downs

35 x 10
    45 x 10
    50 x 10
    55 x 10
    60 x 10

Push Ups (Close Grip)

Close Grip Bench

50kg x 10 x 3

Abzzz & Cardio

Leg Raises
    Hanging Knee Raises
    Crunches

Burned 200kcals on stepper & Eliptical.

#Bollocksed

Wednesday 5th June

Warm Up (Not that it was needed:pac:)

Shoulder Mobility
    Foam Rolling

OHP Press

Bar x 10 x 2
    25kg x 10
    30kg x 10
    35kg x 8
    40kg x 8
    45kg x 5

30kg x 10
    25kg x 10
    20kg x 10

Rear Delt Flyes & Raises (Front & Lateral)

25 x 10
    30 x 10
    35 x 10

8kg x 10 x 3 on both raises

Shrugs w/DB

35kg x 10 x 3

Deltoid Press

25 x 8
    35 x 8
    45 x 8
    35 x 8

Biceps

Yawn.

Thursday 6th June

Warm Up

2 hours of painting in the heat. I was well warmed up afterwards!!

Pull Ups

Bent Over Rows (Under and Over Grip)

50kg x 10 x 2
    55kg x 10 x 2
    60kg x 10

Lat Pull Down

40 x 10 x 2
    50 x 10 x 2
    60 x 10

Lat Pull Down w/ V-Bar

45 x 10
    55 x 10
    65 x 8
    55 x 10

Lat Push Down

50 x 12 x 3

Cable Rows

35 x 10 x 2
    45 x 10 x 2
    50 x 10

Machine Lat Row

90 x 10
    110 x 10
    130 x 10
    150 x 10
    170 x 10
    190 x 5

Forgot how much I love this machine.

Abz, Cardio & Stretches

Wrecked after this weeks training. I stayed away from deadlifts and plan to do the same for squats this week as my back hurts from a funny step I took. Getting a sharp pain up my left leg that stops at my hip at the back even when I press the clutch in the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭divito06

Maybe thats from your technique being off whilst lifting heavy?.

divito06 wrote: »
    Maybe thats from your technique being off whilst lifting heavy?.

Could be but I felt a twinge walking down stairs Sunday so it could be that too.

Won't be training till midweek since I virtually wrote off the car this weekend. Why do w@nkers in there ****ty Civics have to be such cocky arseholes on the road? Glad I came out the other end of this one tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭divito06

Won't be training till midweek since I virtually wrote off the car this weekend. Why do w@nkers in there ****ty Civics have to be such cocky arseholes on the road? Glad I came out the other end of this one tbh.

F..k. a car can be fixed or bought. . Did he crash aswell or just send u off track

Advertisement