Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time to get serious!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,600 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Well, that'd help as well. :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Well, that'd help as well. :-D

I've learned loads to put into my training just from going off on tangents with the tutor. Everything makes sense after the past few days:pac:

Looking back, if I'd known what a deadlift was when I first rowed and someone told me that rowing technique isn't dissimilar to deadlifting technique, it'd all have made more sense :)

Just a load of technique stuff and messing in rings today. Feeling good.

110kg solid squat and 155kg deadlift. Bring on wendlers 5/3/1.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

ATG squat?

ATG squat?

Roughly 3 inches below parallel. The way I see it is that if it's not a powerlifting good lift then it doesn't count for squats.

That all goes out the window for bench though, as long as it's not a huge bounce I'll take any PR:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Roughly 3 inches below parallel. The way I see it is that if it's not a powerlifting good lift then it doesn't count for squats.

That all goes out the window for bench though, as long as it's not a huge bounce I'll take any PR:P

Ha ha, thats even a more impressive squat now...Do people still actually bounce the bar off their chest when bench...what happened to control?

Ha ha, thats even a more impressive squat now...Do people still actually bounce the bar off their chest when bench...what happened to control?

Some people just completely disregard the negative and bounce it off their chests and call it a press.

Today in LIA;

Squats & Chinz

Warmed up

50kg x 2 x 3
    60kg x 2 x 5
    70kg x 3 x 3
    80kg x 5
    90kg x 3

In between all sets I did 5 chinz.

The flu has caused me to lose 5 pounds. Fcuk you man flu, ruining my gains!

Will bench and OHP tonight going by wendlers 5/3/1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Will bench and OHP tonight going by wendlers 5/3/1.

Not 5/3/1 if its on the same day though.

Not 5/3/1 if its on the same day though.

I know it's not but I can't get to the gym 4 days due to other commitments so I just combine these. To be totally honest I was thinking about merging squats and deads too and use the extra day as another squat session.

I'll get through the first month first though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

I know it's not but I can't get to the gym 4 days due to other commitments so I just combine these. To be totally honest I was thinking about merging squats and deads too and use the extra day as another squat session.

I'll get through the first month first though.

Would you not combine an upper and lower, like squat and a press? Makes more sense to me anyway than combining 2 uppers.

Always just makes me think of this:

54321.png?w=645

Would you not combine an upper and lower, like squat and a press? Makes more sense to me anyway than combining 2 uppers.

That's true actually. I didn't think of it really! If I've time this evening I'll scribble something up.

Toyed around there with programming. I'll try stick it up later.

Tonight:

A. Bench:

Warm up;
    30kg x 5
    35kg x 5
    45kg x 3

5/3/1
    45kg x 5
    55kg x 5
    60kg x 5+ (8)

B. OHP:

Warm Up;
    25kg x 5
    30kg x 5
    35kg x 3

5/3/1
    40kg x 5
    45kg x 5
    50kg x 5+ (5)

C1. DB a Incline Press- 24kg x 10 x 3
    C2. Pushdowns- 45 x 10 x 3
    C3. Lateral Raises- 10kg x 10 x 3

D. Core circuit

Haven't been doing anything structured really the past week. Just in the homing down technique for my assessments. Passed my mock easily today so it's all about the biggie tomorrow!

Doing loads of mobility work too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Recently I have started sitting on a lacrosse ball when ever I am on the computer, Just shove it in there and roll on it ;) Handy if you are studying alot and stuck at a desk .

JJayoo wrote: »
    Recently I have started sitting on a lacrosse ball when ever I am on the computer, Just shove it in there and roll on it ;) Handy if you are studying alot and stuck at a desk .

That's a different sensation altogether:P it's mostly my hip flexors that are painful lately. Everything else fires grand:)

• Advertisement

Interdasting! I do like to roll the soles of my feet over the lacrosse ball at work but I haven't really considered squirming about in my chair on it. I should because my hips and glutes are my biggest problem areas for flexibility/mobility.

Mon 2nd Dec

Warm Up

Dynamic stuff

Deadlifts

50kg x 5
    60kg x 5
    75kg x 3

90kg x 3
    100kg x 3
    115kg x 3+(5)

Squats

40kg x 5
    50kg x 5
    60kg x 3

70kg x 3
    80kg x 3
    90kg x 3+(4)

Leg Press

190 x 5 x 15

Good Mornings

40kg x 5 x 12

Core Work

135kg Front Squat Hold- 3 x 30s w/ 45s recovery
    Ab Wheel Roll Out- 3 x 10

Great session! Loving squats and DL's. Running so smooth!

135kg Front Squat Hold- 3 x 30s w/ 45s recovery
    What's this, Ted?

What's this, Ted?

I tried them out because my tutor in LIA said they were great for core strength training. It's basically just unrack the bar and stand braced:)

Basically this;

Ah, i'm with you now. I had a suspicion that was what you meant. I used to do that (well,not repeatedly and not for as long) before going for a new max on back squats - add on 20kg, walk it out, hold it for maybe 10s and then rack it. Strip off those 20 and when you walk it out, it feels lighter (relatively). Psychologically it's a boost that it feels lighter before you try a max.

Ah, i'm with you now. I had a suspicion that was what you meant. I used to do that (well,not repeatedly and not for as long) before going for a new max on back squats - add on 20kg, walk it out, hold it for maybe 10s and then rack it. Strip off those 20 and when you walk it out, it feels lighter (relatively). Psychologically it's a boost that it feels lighter before you try a max.

It kicks ass! The rest I left myself with was not long enough at all:pac: But then again, I got through it.

I suppose that does make sense. Trickin' yourself into heavy lifting:pac:

I have done something similar with heavy holds. Un rack the bar as if you're going for an OH Press and then just hold the bar. I used to hold it so my chin was resting on the bar. If you put the safety bars high enough you can lift the BB from them instead of having to unrack it and step away from the pins. Been a while since I have done these but I think I was up to 15 second holds with 130kg.

Please use the safety bars if you try this and put them as high as possible so if you need to bail the bar only has a few inches to fall.

I have done something similar with heavy holds. Un rack the bar as if you're going for an OH Press and then just hold the bar. I used to hold it so my chin was resting on the bar. If you put the safety bars high enough you can lift the BB from them instead of having to unrack it and step away from the pins. Been a while since I have done these but I think I was up to 15 second holds with 130kg.

Please use the safety bars if you try this and put them as high as possible so if you need to bail the bar only has a few inches to fall.

So you've pressed the weight to a certain extent and then hold?

This "feels lighter" thing really works for BB OH press. If I wanted to go for a 10 rep PR the best thing I could do would be to push for a 1RM and then drop down and try for the 10 rep set. The bar feels soooooooo light.

It might be all in the head but I remember reading an article about this type of training on by Christian thibaubababababado on TNation.

• Advertisement

So you've pressed the weight to a certain extent and then hold?

If I have it on the safety bars I will put the bar where I want it (just under my chin) and then lock out my legs lifting the bar the one or two inches off the safety bars. It's just something you would have to experiment with.

I have also tried doing walks once I have the bar in this position, now these are nasty but not really practical in the gym.

Advertisement