Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time to get serious!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,600 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I don't try it often enough. Never thought of trying it like that though.

JJayoo wrote: »
    If I have it on the safety bars I will put the bar where I want it (just under my chin) and then lock out my legs lifting the bar the one or two inches off the safety bars. It's just something you would have to experiment with.

I have also tried doing walks once I have the bar in this position, now these are nasty but not really practical in the gym.

Tell me, what lift do you do this for?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Tell me, what lift do you do this for?

Well I would assume it helps the OH press, will melt your delts, but it would be a hard exercise to structure into a programme. Just one of those different/fun exercises to stick in every now and then.

I have also tired racking movements. So I would unrack the bar as if I am going to do an OH press with my 1rep max, but once I have it in position I will rack it and count this as one rep, and do a set of 10.

I also like to do something similar with Dumbbell pushpress. I will get a heavy DB and lift it into position and then control it back down to the floor and count this as one rep. Then do sets of ten.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Week 2 of 5/3/1

Bench- 65kg x 3+(6)
    OHP- 50kg x 3+(4)

Happy enough although I felt so sluggish going in. Did a few other bits too;

Pull Ups
    DB Bench
    Then some Bro' stuff.

Bench- 65kg x 3+(6)
    Quick question: what's the number in brackets mean?

• Advertisement

Quick question: what's the number in brackets mean?

That's the number of reps I actually hit:)

So you went for 65x3 but got 9 reps? Nice work

No the number in the box is the number of reps I hit so 6. Although I like your idea better:pac:

Next time just say nothing! :D

Next time just say nothing! :D

No short cuts:D

I think I'll hit up smolov in February or so. Weeks and weeks of squatting, Yaaay:D

• Advertisement

Tonight's Highlights

Squats

95 x 1+(3)

Deads

120kg x 1+(3)

Pull Ups

5 x 8

Was training my mother earlier in the day also. She was shocked to believe that I weigh more:pac:

Been doing 4-5 pull ups every time I walk through the door of my bedroom for the past week. It's helping a lot! I suck at them. Plan on doing the same with dips soon.

First round of 5/3/1 over and done with. Going to start looking into next year tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Was training my mother earlier in the day also. She was shocked to believe that I weigh more:pac:

Been doing 4-5 pull ups every time I walk through the door of my bedroom for the past week. It's helping a lot! I suck at them. Plan on doing the same with dips soon.

First round of 5/3/1 over and done with. Going to start looking into next year tonight.

My mother has only recently stopped telling me i needed to eat more. I had to point out i was 14 stone before she did though. Now i am too muscular apparently :rolleyes:

My mother has only recently stopped telling me i needed to eat more. I had to point out i was 14 stone before she did though. Now i am too muscular apparently :rolleyes:

Mothers eh?:P my own is small so she appears an awful lot heavier than she actually is.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,168 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Why did you decide to do 5/3/1? To be honest, I think you'd benefit from more time under and/or over the bar (as the case may be). You don't get this with 5/3/1.

Sangre wrote: »
    Why did you decide to do 5/3/1? To be honest, I think you'd benefit from more time under and/or over the bar (as the case may be). You don't get this with 5/3/1.

To be honest I did it because it tied in nicely with the end of the year. I considered continuing through next year but a few things are popping into my head the past few days to kick off the new year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,168 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Fair enough, it is nice to mix things up every now and again.

I did 5/3/1 for a decent while when I was a similar stage as yourself. While I obviously made some gains, in hindsight there were far better programmes. In particular, I don't think the programme works at all for benching.

Of course, I'm hardly moving massive numbers now so take that so feel free to disregard!

Sangre wrote: »
    Fair enough, it is nice to mix things up every now and again.

I did 5/3/1 for a decent while when I was a similar stage as yourself. While I obviously made some gains, in hindsight there were far better programmes. In particular, I don't think the programme works at all for benching.

Of course, I'm hardly moving massive numbers now so take that so feel free to disregard!

For me I think it's worked dr just squat and OHP tbh. Bench doesn't feel like it's moved all that much not does DL.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

For me I think it's worked dr just squat and OHP tbh. Bench doesn't feel like it's moved all that much not does DL.

I did 5/3/1 for a while on the BBB alt workout (i.e your assistance for squat is dead and vice versa). My bench started slow but came on strong after a cycle or 2. There's plenty of volume in it tbh and if you are using a self adjusting spreadsheet it soon catches up to you.

Bucket loads of pull ups and core work.

Training in UL tomorrow morning so that should be fun.

Trained in UL Friday. Did squats, front squats, deadlifts, KB pressing and rows.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Trained in UL Friday. Did squats, front squats, deadlifts, KB pressing and rows.

Were you not fighting for plates and space?

Were you not fighting for plates and space?

I had a platform and plenty of space. I was in around 9am?

Gonna log what I actually did Friday.

Deadlifts:

60kg x 2 x 3
    90kg x 2 x 3
    110kg x 5
    120kg x 3
    130kg x 3

Squats:

Bar x 10
    60kg x 2 x 3
    80kg x 2 x 5
    90kg x 3
    100kg x 2

Front Squats:

60kg x 3 x 5

KB Press:

20kg x 2 x 5
    24kg x 2 x 5
    30kg x 3 x 3

Tried some KB Swings too:

16kg x 10
    20kg x 10
    24kg x 10

Good bye hamstrings.

Spent Saturday doing what I'm calling my conditioning work:pac: Two hours ice skating and pushing my GF around the rink for an hour of that:pac:

I like using KB and can't wait to get to doing my PT course so I can learn more about it. Might look to invest in them afterwards then:)

Back to squats and OHP tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Spent Saturday doing what I'm calling my conditioning work:pac: Two hours ice skating and pushing my GF around the rink for an hour of that:pac:

Dude those things have cooties.

JJayoo wrote: »
    Dude those things have cooties.

She's been cleared of them. Did you think I was gonna be that stupid??

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭johnfaul

Just wondering what your goal is regarding lifting weights?
    Just seems like you would benefit a lot more from a simpler routine ,
    Not being a dick just interested

johnfaul wrote: »
    Just wondering what your goal is regarding lifting weights?
    Just seems like you would benefit a lot more from a simpler routine ,
    Not being a dick just interested

To be the strongest motherfcuker I can is the simple answer:P I respect your opinion and you probably are right. I'm gonna go for 13 weeks of squatting doing smolov and see how things progress after.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

I'm gonna go for 13 weeks of squatting doing smolov and see how things progress after.

Probably 13 weeks of recovering or being crippled for life :pac:

Dathai wrote: »
    Probably 13 weeks of recovering or being crippled for life :pac:

True true:pac: it'll probably take me 15-6weeks depending on how much I can get to the gym.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭johnfaul

To be the strongest motherfcuker I can is the simple answer:P I respect your opinion and you probably are right. I'm gonna go for 13 weeks of squatting doing smolov and see how things progress after.

Why don't you do simple linear progression ?
    Is smolov not for advanced lifters not saying it won't work but there may be faster ways to do things.
    I do an upper lower after doing a full 3xweekly full body routine for 6 months

Advertisement