Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time to get serious!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Oh no. After that feckin' u21 match Friday I've been a bit under the weather but today I'm smothered with the flu. So much so everything felt heavy :pac:

Don't drink all that often so and usually I only train weekdays so I'll never suffer from the Saturday before syndrome in the gym :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭divito06

Oh no. After that feckin' u21 match Friday I've been a bit under the weather but today I'm smothered with the flu. So much so everything felt heavy :pac:

Don't drink all that often so and usually I only train weekdays so I'll never suffer from the Saturday before syndrome in the gym :pac:

Lemsip whiskey and trackies sleep it off.

Tues 6th Jan

Did a good half hours worth of stretching tonight. Was starting to feel very tight all over. I was gonna go to the gym but after training yesterday looking like a very much smaller and whiter Kai Greene with my red hoodie up and black tracksuit, I was too sick and miserable to motivate myself to train.

Will go tomorrow and Thursday. Don't know if I'll make it in Friday due to other commitments but that's a long ways off yet.

As a final note, fcuk you man flu.

Tues 6th Jan

Did a good half hours worth of stretching tonight. Was starting to feel very tight all over. I was gonna go to the gym but after training yesterday looking like a very much smaller and whiter Kai Greene with my red hoodie up and black tracksuit, I was too sick and miserable to motivate myself to train.

Will go tomorrow and Thursday. Don't know if I'll make it in Friday due to other commitments but that's a long ways off yet.

As a final note, fcuk you man flu.

Keep up the stretching its essential.
    How did training go today.

Kia Greene is a big cnut . Serious trainer, training is his number 1 priority.

Is the gym you train in any good.?
    Any serious lifters there?

divito06 wrote: »
    Keep up the stretching its essential.
    How did training go today.

Kia Greene is a big cnut . Serious trainer, training is his number 1 priority.

Is the gym you train in any good.?
    Any serious lifters there?

I tend to do a good hour a week at home. Then a quick stretch on the muscles I'll be working in the gym that day.

Training was good, lacking a bit of energy with the flu though.

Yeah, I've been following him on YouTube for a bit now. Such a humble lad. I love his outlook on things. His training is his priority but he seems so willing to help others when he can. He still attends the posing classes with the beginners each week with a coach he's had for years.

The gym I train at is okay, it's by no means the best gym but its all my town has so I have to make the best of it. As for serious lifter- no not really. There's a lad who's 19, ex-Irish champion sprinter that's aiming to deadlift 200kg in the coming weeks. There are a few foreign lads who lift big. One I presume takes part in strongman/powerlifting or something along those lines because I doubt he would maintain that much mass for no reason.

• Advertisement

Wednesday 6th Feb.

Smolov Bench

7 x 5 @ 55kg

Decided to change the increments to 5kg rather than 2.5kg meaning I'll be lifting 57.5kg next Monday rather than 55kg.

12min walk @ 5km/hr and 10 min ab work

Deadlifting

100kg x 8
    120kg x 8
    130kg x 8

First time I've done 8 reps of 130kg. Had a 20kg plate on instead of 25kg plate so was lifting slightly lower to the ground.

Good Mornings

40kg x 8
    40kg x 8
    40kg x 8

Superset- Lat Pulldown w/ Wide Grip Chins

40 x 10 w/ 8 chins
    45 x 10 w/ 8 chins
    50 x 10 w/ 8 chins
    60 x 6 w/ 5 chins

V-Bar Pulldowns

50 x 8 x 2
    55 x 8 x 2
    60 x 8

Onto pumping the biceps...

Bicep Curl Machine

35 x 8
    40 x 8
    45 x 8
    50 x 8
    60 x 8

Seated EZ Bar Curls

15kg x 12 x 2
    20kg x 12

Alternate DB Seated Curl

10kg x 16 x 3

Barbell Curls

25kg x 10 x 3

Superset- Cable Curls w/ Rope and Straight Bar

35 x 10 x 3

Back is knackered after today. Glad of the scoop of whey mid way through the work out!

Thursday 7th Feb.

Smolov Bench

8 x 4 @ 60kg

Also decided to do tomorrows because I won't make it to the gym.

10 x 3 @ 62.5kg after a good long break.

Squats

None. Pain in my hip while going down so decided it's best not too chance it. Didn't do any squats. Disappointing really.

Leg Press One Leg At a Time

110 x 10
    130 x 10
    150 x 8
    170 x 8
    190 x 5

Leg Extensions

Warmed up with 20 reps of 30 on either leg.

150 x 10
    190 x 10
    210 x 10
    230 x 8
    250 x 8

Calf Raises Standing on Stepper with 25kg Plates either Hand

Then onto the smith machine w/ stepper..

60kg x 10
    70kg x 8
    70kg x 8

Clean and Press

40kg x 5
    40kg x 5
    40kg x 5

Reverse Flyes

12kg x 10
    12kg x 10
    14kg x 10

DB Shoulder Press

24kg x 8
    24kg x 8
    26kg x 8
    30kg x 5

Superset- Front and Side Lateral Raises

8kg x 16- 8 either side

Same for three sets..

Had to squeeze quite a bit in today but I'm pleased enough..

Thursday 7th Feb.

Smolov Bench

8 x 4 @ 60kg

Also decided to do tomorrows because I won't make it to the gym.

10 x 3 @ 62.5kg after a good long break.

Squats

None. Pain in my hip while going down so decided it's best not too chance it. Didn't do any squats. Disappointing really.

Leg Press One Leg At a Time

110 x 10
    130 x 10
    150 x 8
    170 x 8
    190 x 5

Leg Extensions

Warmed up with 20 reps of 30 on either leg.

150 x 10
    190 x 10
    210 x 10
    230 x 8
    250 x 8

Calf Raises Standing on Stepper with 25kg Plates either Hand

Then onto the smith machine w/ stepper..

60kg x 10
    70kg x 8
    70kg x 8

Clean and Press

40kg x 5
    40kg x 5
    40kg x 5

Reverse Flyes

12kg x 10
    12kg x 10
    14kg x 10

DB Shoulder Press

24kg x 8
    24kg x 8
    26kg x 8
    30kg x 5

Superset- Front and Side Lateral Raises

8kg x 16- 8 either side

Same for three sets..

Had to squeeze quite a bit in today but I'm pleased enough..

Going good keep pushing.

I think you should stick to the programme. Remember i was saying some days you feel stronger than other and decide to up the weight out side of the programme then you'll hit a week when you can't do ****.

Also i wouldn't recommend doing chest two days in row, your not letting the muscle heal witch will effect other exercises using different muscle in the same area.

You don't have a good bench so you should work on it bit more. Maybe your biceps too. Deadlift is coming on slowly.

Get under that smith machine and wack a 100 on the bar for calf raises. Your leg press is strong.

Have you ever tried deadlifting with our your trainers??

What do you wear on your feet squating??

Do you have a belt? I don't mean them Nancyboy ones...

I have a deadlifting suit i wear sometimes to max out. I've worn bench shirts aswell.

Do you have wrist wraps and leg wraps

When i weighed 65kg i could curl 58kg on an e-z bar without dancing around with it. Its all about figuring out which muscle needs more work.

Just akin a few beves at the boys. The miss's is haven an Annsummers party so i had to get the **** outta der

Going good keep pushing.

I think you should stick to the programme. Remember i was saying some days you feel stronger than other and decide to up the weight out side of the programme then you'll hit a week when you can't do ****.

Also i wouldn't recommend doing chest two days in row, your not letting the muscle heal witch will effect other exercises using different muscle in the same area.

You don't have a good bench so you should work on it bit more. Maybe your biceps too. Deadlift is coming on slowly.

Get under that smith machine and wack a 100 on the bar for calf raises. Your leg press is strong.

Have you ever tried deadlifting with our your trainers??

What do you wear on your feet squating??

Do you have a belt? I don't mean them Nancyboy ones...

I have a deadlifting suit i wear sometimes to max out. I've worn bench shirts aswell.

Do you have wrist wraps and leg wraps

When i weighed 65kg i could curl 58kg on an e-z bar without dancing around with it. Its all about figuring out which muscle needs more work.

Just akin a few beves at the boys. The miss's is haven an Annsummers party so i had to get the **** outta der

I'm feeling good though and usually manage to get up through the weight for shoulders. On the DB press, I reckon I could do 35kg's with a spot every now and again.

I can't train weekends so my week usually looks like I'm training Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. With maybe the odd Tuesday thrown in there instead of Thursday. So either way, while following smolov jr, I'll be benching two/three days in a row. Thankfully at this stage it's not too much of a stress on the chest, front delt or tricep so hopefully it'll stay that way.

I think biceps has always been a stronger point for me. I never really trained them to the max lately but there was a stage where I was curling 45kg for about 3 reps.

Could probably do 100kg calf raises to be fair but I don't tend to go too heavy.

Re-deadlifting, I don't wear shoes. In my socks deadlifting for the past few months. Squatting I wear pumps. Not the best but I'm comfortable in them and they bring me closer to the ground which I like.

Had to do a search on bench shirts, never heard of them. Seems interesting. Wouldn't be for me. Don't have a belt myself but a friend has a belt I can use and the gym has two good quality belts I can use when needed.

Don't use knee or wrist wraps mainly because I don't feel as though I need them. Gloves I use, used, have good support anyway.

Ah sure, let the women do what they have to do :P

I'm feeling good though and usually manage to get up through the weight for shoulders. On the DB press, I reckon I could do 35kg's with a spot every now and again.

I can't train weekends so my week usually looks like I'm training Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. With maybe the odd Tuesday thrown in there instead of Thursday. So either way, while following smolov jr, I'll be benching two/three days in a row. Thankfully at this stage it's not too much of a stress on the chest, front delt or tricep so hopefully it'll stay that way.

I think biceps has always been a stronger point for me. I never really trained them to the max lately but there was a stage where I was curling 45kg for about 3 reps.

Could probably do 100kg calf raises to be fair but I don't tend to go too heavy.

Re-deadlifting, I don't wear shoes. In my socks deadlifting for the past few months. Squatting I wear pumps. Not the best but I'm comfortable in them and they bring me closer to the ground which I like.

Had to do a search on bench shirts, never heard of them. Seems interesting. Wouldn't be for me. Don't have a belt myself but a friend has a belt I can use and the gym has two good quality belts I can use when needed.

Don't use knee or wrist wraps mainly because I don't feel as though I need them. Gloves I use, used, have good support anyway.

Ah sure, let the women do what they have to do :P

Re- bench
    What are you tying to achive ... Size or tone

Personal 3 days a week chest is too much for size . You need one good session and tear every part of your muscle. If you do a good session on chest with heavy weight roaring on your last rep and struggling that will help you to achieve your size and strength in one sitting. Rather than wasting three days.

I recommend buying a powerlifting belt. They are an 1 nd 1/2 inch tick. Best job. As for wrist straps give more support. Which on heavy weight lets you focus more.

They all work for me.

• Advertisement

Re- bench
    What are you tying to achive ... Size or tone

Personal 3 days a week chest is too much for size . You need one good session and tear every part of your muscle. If you do a good session on chest with heavy weight roaring on your last rep and struggling that will help you to achieve your size and strength in one sitting. Rather than wasting three days.

I recommend buying a powerlifting belt. They are an 1 nd 1/2 inch tick. Best job. As for wrist straps give more support. Which on heavy weight lets you focus more.

They all work for me.

Well according to smolov 4 days a week is whats required so I'll stick to that for a while now. There's only 2 weeks left anyway. What I've gathered from this game is that its trial and error. Trying to find what works for me.

Looking to build size all over really.

Well according to smolov 4 days a week is whats required so I'll stick to that for a while now. There's only 2 weeks left anyway. What I've gathered from this game is that its trial and error. Trying to find what works for me.

Looking to build size all over really.
    Well your rite there on trial and error. Your going good so far from what you've posted. Remember No pain no gain. Keep me posted on progress.

Mon 11th February

Smolov Bench

6 x 6 @ 57.5

After I did 2 reps at 70kg and 75kg using powerlifting rules. Got a mate to call press and rack. They were good thank god. 75kg feels about 90% of 1RM which isn't bad.

DB Press

26kg x 8
    26kg x 8
    30kg x 5

Chest Press Machine

70 x 12
    110 x 12
    150 x 8

Pec/Deck

20 x 12
    25 x 10
    50 x 5
    20 x 12
    50 x 5

Tricep Pushdown

50 x 10
    55 x 10
    60 x 10
    65 x 8
    70 x 8

Skullcrushers

25kg x 10
    25kg x 10
    25kg x 10

Rope Overhead Extensions

50 x 8
    50 x 8
    50 x 8

Seated Bicep Curls w/ EZ Bar

35kg x 10
    35kg x 10
    35kg x 8

Ab Work and 12min Walk @ 5km/hr

Gym scales say I'm 77kg but I doubt its right tbh. Got a few compliments in size change the past few weeks. Got awful abuse about not training the outside of my biceps today:p

not bad. why did you do 70 & 75 kg bench??
    was that in the programme??

Thats good people noticing change already keep up the eating.

What shake you taking or any other boosters or tablets.

What did they tell you do for the outside of the bicep?? Just curious??

I think if you take to much advise from too many people it'll just wreck you head and confuse urself.

not bad. why did you do 70 & 75 kg bench??
    was that in the programme??

Thats good people noticing change already keep up the eating.

What shake you taking or any other boosters or tablets.

What did they tell you do for the outside of the bicep?? Just curious??

I think if you take to much advise from too many people it'll just wreck you head and confuse urself.

Just did it for self satisfaction really. Not in the programme but someday it'll be a starting weight!:rolleyes:

At the moment, I take ON Serious Mass, vitamins, BulkPowders Whey Protein and BulkPowders Creatine Monohydrate. I take the ON Serious Mass after training with vitamins. After my ab work and walk I take 1 scoop of whey and 5mg of creatine before hitting the weights.

Just stuff like close grip EZ curls and hammer curls to the opposite shoulder. I do a lot of wide grip stuff really. Always hated hammer curls though so that's why I never put them in to my workout.

Ah he's a good mate and wouldn't stray me too far wrong. He's doing the sport, strength and conditioning course I'll be doing in college next year so he knows his stuff to be fair.

Your starting to get excited with all the change so your feeling strong thats why you went of side of the programme?? am i write?

Good exercises, everybody hates atleast one.

ok where do i start on my sweet shop lol-

Finish first- Nitrix , am to pm vaso-muscular volumizer
    Finish first- lean DESSERT protein shake
    ON- enteric coated FISH OIL sortgels
    Sports AST science -Multi Pro32x Multi vitamins & Multi Minerals
    USN - LeuteC - Anabolic Amino Acid
    USN - Gaktec - Power Boost
    USN - 19 anabol TESTO - Testosterone Inducer

Finish first - Syntha-6 Protein shake.

Im not using all of the above. I normally take multipro 32x, Amino acid, Testo & fish oils. my friend went to the leb few months ago with the army so he gave me the rest. I have few other gainers and stuff I gonna up the game a bit ina week or two. Have been out of training for a bit.

I also have H-DROL steriods which i was given but NEVER took any. I was told they are complete dung.

Your starting to get excited with all the change so your feeling strong thats why you went of side of the programme?? am i write?

Good exercises, everybody hates atleast one.

ok where do i start on my sweet shop lol-

Finish first- Nitrix , am to pm vaso-muscular volumizer
    Finish first- lean DESSERT protein shake
    ON- enteric coated FISH OIL sortgels
    Sports AST science -Multi Pro32x Multi vitamins & Multi Minerals
    USN - LeuteC - Anabolic Amino Acid
    USN - Gaktec - Power Boost
    USN - 19 anabol TESTO - Testosterone Inducer

Finish first - Syntha-6 Protein shake.

Im not using all of the above. I normally take multipro 32x, Amino acid, Testo & fish oils. my friend went to the leb few months ago with the army so he gave me the rest. I have few other gainers and stuff I gonna up the game a bit ina week or two. Have been out of training for a bit.

I also have H-DROL steriods which i was given but NEVER took any. I was told they are complete dung.

No not at all. I really only went outside because, and this is silly, but I was struggling away on the Smolov set out for me and thinking 'hmm, 75kg might be a push on my 1RM actually' but turns out I'm fine on it and even managed the 2-3second pause on my chest instead of the normal touch and go.

Mother of god that's quite a bit. I like to stick to the basics for numerous reasons.

1. I don't feel I need them all.
    2. I see results with what I'm doing and believe quite a bit of the supplements on the market are a gimmick.
    3. The moneys required:P

Do you feel any benefit to all those? You should start a log here, it's handy to track your training and I find keeps me motivated.

First thing I would have done with those steroids is throw them in the bin. No steroids, no temptation.

I can see results with just eating. You need vitamins minerals and fish oils. Thats all i take, every now and then i take the induchers with are legal and not steriods. I use the shakes when ive the money.

Ive two babys so i cant always treat my self on shakes.

The steriods dont bother me in the press.. Ill pass them on sometime.

I should start one,

Lets do this thing!

Tuesday 12th February

Warm Up

6min walk @ 6km/hr

2scoops of whey and 5mg of creatine.

Squats

Warm Up

60kg x 5
    70kg x 5
    80kg x 3
    90kg x 3

Belted
    110kg x 1
    115kg x 1
    120kg x 0
    120kg x 1 PB

:D

Leg Extension

150 x 12
    150 x 12
    150 x 12
    150 x 12

Leg Press

230 x 8
    230 x 10
    310 x 8
    320 x 8

Leg Curls

15 x 10 Single leg x 2
    35 x 12
    35 x 12
    35 x 12

SLDL

Bar x 15
    40 x 15
    50 x 15
    60 x 15

Really concentrated on the glutes and hammys here..

On to pumping the guns!

Superset- Curls Machine and Hammer Curls

Machine: 45 x 12 x 3sets
    Hammers: 10kg x 16 x 3sets- 8 either arm

Single Arm Curls On Machine

Went to failure three times on @ weight 20.

Set 1.
    Right Arm: 21
    Left Arm: 18

Set 2.
    Right Arm: 19
    Left Arm: 17

Set 3.
    Right Arm: 16
    Left Arm: 13

25kg x 8 x 3 sets.

Delighted with the squat PB obviously. Very tired now though..

Lets do this thing!

Tuesday 12th February

Warm Up

6min walk @ 6km/hr

2scoops of whey and 5mg of creatine.

Squats

Warm Up

60kg x 5
    70kg x 5
    80kg x 3
    90kg x 3

Belted
    110kg x 1
    115kg x 1
    120kg x 0
    120kg x 1 PB

:D

Leg Extension

150 x 12
    150 x 12
    150 x 12
    150 x 12

Leg Press

230 x 8
    230 x 10
    310 x 8
    320 x 8

Leg Curls

15 x 10 Single leg x 2
    35 x 12
    35 x 12
    35 x 12

SLDL

Bar x 15
    40 x 15
    50 x 15
    60 x 15

Really concentrated on the glutes and hammys here..

On to pumping the guns!

Superset- Curls Machine and Hammer Curls

Machine: 45 x 12 x 3sets
    Hammers: 10kg x 16 x 3sets- 8 either arm

Single Arm Curls On Machine

Went to failure three times on @ weight 20.

Set 1.
    Right Arm: 21
    Left Arm: 18

Set 2.
    Right Arm: 19
    Left Arm: 17

Set 3.
    Right Arm: 16
    Left Arm: 13

25kg x 8 x 3 sets.

Delighted with the squat PB obviously. Very tired now though..
    Looks good. You put in effert tonight.

Any trouble with the hips squating.?

So your right arm is stronger.. Same as.
    You should try do few extra reps with the left.

• Advertisement

Looks good. You put in effert tonight.

Any trouble with the hips squating.?

So your right arm is stronger.. Same as.
    You should try do few extra reps with the left.

No trouble with hip that was significant enough to put me off. Might start a lot more hip abductions though.

Yeah the right is stronger but the left is bigger:pac:

No trouble with hip that was significant enough to put me off. Might start a lot more hip abductions though.

Yeah the right is stronger but the left is bigger:pac:
    They would help a lot. Did you ever think bout using bands or chains for squating .?

You gonna compete in any comps ?

They would help a lot. Did you ever think bout using bands or chains for squating .?

You gonna compete in any comps ?

I'd love to but the gym doesn't have any. Especially love to try the chains.

Maybe, I'll see how things are at the latter end of this year and the start of next year. Might compete in the IDFPA's next year.

I'd love to but the gym doesn't have any. Especially love to try the chains.

Maybe, I'll see how things are at the latter end of this year and the start of next year. Might compete in the IDFPA's next year.
    Is your gym for grannys? Lol

Where is your gym, there might be a club near you that you could use chains and stuff once a week. I doubt they would charge.

Thats a good comp. I was thinking about that one before. I would do good over my weight and what i can lift. You know how it works.

Is your gym for grannys? Lol

Where is your gym, there might be a club near you that you could use chains and stuff once a week. I doubt they would charge.

Thats a good comp. I was thinking about that one before. I would do good over my weight and what i can lift. You know how it works.

Its not aimed towards powerlifting or anything specific really. It's in Tipperary town so UL is probably the closest with chains but that's quite a trek for them.

What are your own stats?

Its not aimed towards powerlifting or anything specific really. It's in Tipperary town so UL is probably the closest with chains but that's quite a trek for them.

What are your own stats?
    I used to train in UL when i was living in annacotty. Savage gym pity bout the fools who just go in the stand in front of the mirror and chat
    so they can tell women they were working out. They were funny cnuts.

So here goes

5ft7inchs
    145lbs

1rep max
    Squat 132.5 kg
    Deadlift 180 kg
    Bench 95 kg

Thats the main ones off the top of my head.
    i bet you taught i was bigger... Lol

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

The tine you spend traveling and looking for chains would be better spent under the bar.

Hanley wrote: »
    The tine you spend traveling and looking for chains would be better spent under the bar.
    If you find out via telephone and incorporate one or two days a month into your programme for bench and squat using chains, then that would make more sence.

Hanley wrote: »

Fact of it. Anyway, back to my log:D

Thursday 14th February

Just an hour stretching and body weight work. This'll be the last of my sessions until Monday. Well maybe Saturday morning but I'll see.

• Advertisement

Monday 18th February

Back in the gym!!

Smolov Bench Press

62.5 x 6 x 6

This was hard after my week off...

DB Press

24kg x 10
    22kg x 12
    22kg x 12

Incline Bench Press

50kg x 8
    50kg x 8
    60kg x 7

Tricep Pushdowns w/ Bigger V Bar

50 x 10
    55 x 10
    60 x 10
    65 x 10
    70 x 10

Superset- Pushdowns w/ Rope and Straight Bar

Set 1:
    Rope: 25 x 12
    Bar: 40 x 8

Set 2 and 3 the same.

Superset- Skullcrushers and Dips

3 sets- all the same.

Skullcrushers: 15kg x 20 (10press, 10extensions)
    Dips: 10

Final Superset- Seated Bicep Curl w/ EZ Bar and Alternate Seated DB Curl

EZ Curl: 25kg x 10
    DB Curl: 14kg either hand x 10

Same for 3 sets.

Bicep Curls on Machine

60 x 5 and 25 x 15

That was a set. It burned like a b1tch. Three sets of it and my arms were on fire.

Hooooooooooooooome.

Advertisement