Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time to get serious!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Here's the Ed Coan Deadlifting programme I'll be doing..

241944.jpg

241945.jpg

241946.jpg

Wednesday 20th Feb

Warm Up

10min walk @ 6km/hr and 20min abs

Deadlifting

1 x 2 @ 127.5kg

Speed Deadlifts

8 x 3 @ 102.5kg

SLDL

8 x 3 @ 70kg

Bent Over Rows

8 x 3 @ 60kg

Reverse Grip Lat Pulldown

8 x 3 @ 50

Arched Back GM's

8 x 3 @ 40kg

Bicep Curls w/ EZ bar

10 x 3 @ 25kg

Seated DB Curls

10 x 3 w/ 14kg DB's

Seated EZ Bar Curls

10 x 3 @ 25kg

Pull Ups

5 x 5

Fat Grip Chin Ups

5 x 5

Barbell Curls

10 x 3 @ 25kg

Determined to get through the DL programme and I'm sure I will!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

How did you do a seated EZ bar curl? And why did you do chinzz in the middle?!

Hanley wrote: »
    How did you do a seated EZ bar curl? And why did you do chinzz in the middle?!

Wide grip and then curl as normal. All the barbells were in use so I had to do something to occupy myself.

Thursday 21st February

Warm Up
    6min walk @ 6kph

Clean & Press

20kg x 10
    30kg x 8
    40kg x 8
    45kg x 5

Shoulder Press

24kg x 8
    24kg x 8
    24kg x 8

Superset- Front and Side Raises

8kg x 10 on both x 3

Shrugs

60kg x 8
    65kg x 8
    70kg x 8

Probably my last session this week till Monday..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭divito06

Thursday 21st February

Warm Up
    6min walk @ 6kph

Clean & Press

20kg x 10
    30kg x 8
    40kg x 8
    45kg x 5

Shoulder Press

24kg x 8
    24kg x 8
    24kg x 8

Superset- Front and Side Raises

8kg x 10 on both x 3

Shrugs

60kg x 8
    65kg x 8
    70kg x 8

Probably my last session this week till Monday..
    Your coming on slowly. You should be able to do more on the clean and press. I was thinking around 65 min. Maybe you need to drop reps for few weeks after this program and work on strength a bit. Only an idea. Other than the shoulders its looking good.

divito06 wrote: »
    Your coming on slowly. You should be able to do more on the clean and press. I was thinking around 65 min. Maybe you need to drop reps for few weeks after this program and work on strength a bit. Only an idea. Other than the shoulders its looking good.

I'm not an olympic lifter so I don't wanna go too heavy. Shoulders were good before but I've abused them the past few weeks tbh.

Two sessions to report of.

Saturday 23rd February

Bench Press

Bar x 20
    40kg x 15
    50kg x 12

DB Press

30kg x 11
    26kg x 12
    24kg x 12

OH Press

30kg x 5 x 5

Drop Set- Shoulder Press

22kg x 8
    16kg x 10
    10kg to failure.

Did that for 3 sets but it was so long ago I cant remember the reps:pac:

Core Work and a 12min walk @ 6km/hr

Did a lot of work on holding at the bottom on the bench and DB press.

Monday 25th February

Big day today..

Warm Up

6min walk @ 6km/hr & stretching

Bench Press

Bar x 5
    70kg x 1
    75kg x 1
    77.5kg x 1 PB
    80kg x 1 PB
    50kg x 15
    60kg x 8

Happy with the PB but not delighted:pac:

DB Press

24kg x 8
    26kg x 8
    30kg x 5

Pec/Deck

50 x 8 x 2... Shoulder felt uncomfortable

Incline Bench Press in Smith Machine

60kg x 8 x 3

Tricep Pushdowns w/ Large V Bar

60 x 8
    60 x 8
    70 x 8

Kickbacks

10kg x 10 x 3

Superset- Skullcrushers w/ Dips

15kg x 20 & 10 dips
    15kg x 20 & 10 dips
    15kg x 20 & 8 dips

Rest intervals were about 45sec throughout the day so I'm really knackered.

Hoooooooooooome..

Those sessions look good. How you find the new programme few weeks in?

Is your diet still the same?

Those sessions look good. How you find the new programme few weeks in?

Is your diet still the same?

The Ed Coan Deadlifting programme? I like it so far, I was knackered after it Thursday but I can see it bringing me on. For motivation, I'm deadlifting with a mate, he's 64kg and is attempting 200kg this week. Haven't seen a deadlift of that magnitude in my gym so I hope it'll spur me on to eventually do the same.

Well today, I consumed roughly 3500 kcals. All clean bar the carton of ribena:pac:

How's your own training?

Its all hit and miss. but finding the rite programme never ends because we always changing it so the body doesn't get used to it.
    i wouldn't attempt to keep up with some of my mates for the simple reason is that they be deadliftin and squating up and over 200- 250 - 300 -.

That'll be a good lift if he gets it. im only 65kg aswell and pulling 180. Have never tried 200kg not ready. Training is going fine gonna bulk up now staring from monday next week. going to asda tmoro to stock up on essentials got a bag of serious mass from discount supplement and the shakes below. Everyone is different hwen it comes to training , you could past your mate out ina year if your work it rite.

These are the new shakes..

• Advertisement

Its all hit and miss. but finding the rite programme never ends because we always changing it so the body doesn't get used to it.
    i wouldn't attempt to keep up with some of my mates for the simple reason is that they be deadliftin and squating up and over 200- 250 - 300 -.

That'll be a good lift if he gets it. im only 65kg aswell and pulling 180. Have never tried 200kg not ready. Training is going fine gonna bulk up now staring from monday next week. going to asda tmoro to stock up on essentials got a bag of serious mass from discount supplement and the shakes below. Everyone is different hwen it comes to training , you could past your mate out ina year if your work it rite.

These are the new shakes..

I'm not trying to keep up with him, obviously I'd love to keep up with him but that day will come at a later stage I hope. Will be doing my own programme Thursday. Just want to see a deadlift of that size.

Good good, keep me posted. I must go have a look at the nutritional break down of those shakes although I've heard good things about Syntha-6.

Quick question... how many programmes are you running simultaneously???

Quick question... how many programmes are you running simultaneously???

Well I was coming to the end of Smolov Jr and then took upon Ed Coans Deadlift programme, so 1.

i was just wondering, i was reading one of your other posts about running both together.

im uppen the game next monday, hitting the weights hard.
    reps 4-8 depending on the % for that week.

I remember late last year i pushed my self to the limit of vomiting and my eyes were badly blood shot for 3-4 days after from the pressure.

the gym were i am has no leg press, rack or dumbell over 20kg. there is a smith machine which i hate because you cant bench or squat properly , i bring my own dumbell bars to make up to 40's. there is the college gym in sligo or letterkenny for anything i cant do.

Thats why i want to open my own gym, but for insurrance reasons i need to have gym/ personal trainers certificate..
    There is the National Training College in dublin that do the course and its a level 4 which is the highest certificate out there. 18weeks monday to thursday 2 1/2 hours each day. €2180

i was just wondering, i was reading one of your other posts about running both together.

im uppen the game next monday, hitting the weights hard.
    reps 4-8 depending on the % for that week.

I remember late last year i pushed my self to the limit of vomiting and my eyes were badly blood shot for 3-4 days after from the pressure.

the gym were i am has no leg press, rack or dumbell over 20kg. there is a smith machine which i hate because you cant bench or squat properly , i bring my own dumbell bars to make up to 40's. there is the college gym in sligo or letterkenny for anything i cant do.

Thats why i want to open my own gym, but for insurrance reasons i need to have gym/ personal trainers certificate..
    There is the National Training College in dublin that do the course and its a level 4 which is the highest certificate out there. 18weeks monday to thursday 2 1/2 hours each day. €2180

Has to be done. Did you make any progress out of it? Because pushing yourself to the point where you're vomiting seems a bit stupid, sorry if that sounds harsh.

Are the 1RM maxes you told me based off the smith machine or from training in a better equipped gym? If I was you I'd be gone from that gym, seems very poorly equipped. Don't think I could train in a gym without a squat rack.

Are you gonna do that? PT'ing is something I will probably look at after college is finished at the age of 23. But for the next 4 years Sport, Strength and Conditioning at level 8 will do me.

Still at the early stage yet im in talks with a few mates down the country they all have there own gyms one of the fella's hold the irelands strongest man title.

I said i push my self to the limit of vomiting, not actually vomiting. All my 1RM are in a universty gym best in the country.

Its very bad altogether, my training could be better.

ive been looking at a unit 3,668 sq ft high ceiling its hugh. The costs are adding up when i get pen to paper. My plan is for a hardcore gym with 2 seperate room , 1 for spin classes / aerobics ect to be rented out at a €€ per hour and the other for the women to train in peace with out fellas looking at there jiggly arses. you know the way women are, like all sensitive about there apperance. The main gym will have 2 dumbell racks 5-50kg and few pairs of the larger one's. Racks, leg machines, upperbody resistance, cable machines, leg press, chains & bands all ab equipment, kettlebelles, boxing area ect. Everything needed all under one roof.

Its the initial costs is working out just over the budget. So back to the drawing board with the calculator.

The PT course would help in areas im not too keen on. Your course sounds good, i no a fella in limerick UL doing it. He's a bodybuilder now training hard. Doing comps and all.

Still at the early stage yet im in talks with a few mates down the country they all have there own gyms one of the fella's hold the irelands strongest man title.

I said i push my self to the limit of vomiting, not actually vomiting. All my 1RM are in a universty gym best in the country.

Its very bad altogether, my training could be better.

ive been looking at a unit 3,668 sq ft high ceiling its hugh. The costs are adding up when i get pen to paper. My plan is for a hardcore gym with 2 seperate room , 1 for spin classes / aerobics ect to be rented out at a €€ per hour and the other for the women to train in peace with out fellas looking at there jiggly arses. you know the way women are, like all sensitive about there apperance. The main gym will have 2 dumbell racks 5-50kg and few pairs of the larger one's. Racks, leg machines, upperbody resistance, cable machines, leg press, chains & bands all ab equipment, kettlebelles, boxing area ect. Everything needed all under one roof.

Its the initial costs is working out just over the budget. So back to the drawing board with the calculator.

The PT course would help in areas im not too keen on. Your course sounds good, i no a fella in limerick UL doing it. He's a bodybuilder now training hard. Doing comps and all.

I see what you mean. Budget will always limit what you want to do unless you're absolutely minted.

Ah I see. I suppose that gym is grand for starting off but if you're serious about training you'd have to move. How far away is your next best gym?

That would be great. Would you have the interest in your town in something on that scale? In my town, we have everything for people to be top of there sport but if it was all under the same roof, it would be unbelievable.

The chap I'm deadlifting with Thursday is doing it and the knowledge he's gotten just since September is unreal. Thought me a good bit to be fair.

i'm well past beginners training. slowly cracking up.

Im not in it just for money its more like hobbie.

when you really get your heads on something you would be very supprised how much you would take in especialy when you've an interest.

Hit 4,000kcals today for the first time ever. If I can stuff in what I want tomorrow I should up that to 4,300 tomorrow.

Hit 4000 kcals today. If tomorrow goes as planned I'll be hitting 4,300.
    That good. Im looking at a bulking diet plan and it starts at 500 cals above your daily maintenance. 16 weeks going up 300 cals every 2weeks.

• Advertisement

That good. Im looking at a bulking diet plan and it starts at 500 cals above your daily maintenance. 16 weeks going up 300 cals every 2weeks.

So, presuming your maintenance, you'll be eating circa 5000kcals a day?

So, presuming your maintenance, you'll be eating circa 5000kcals a day?
    3,000 + 500 week 1-2
    3,500 + 300 week 3-4

Up 300 every 2 week. Last 2 weeks hitting 5,100.

What weight are you looking to hit?

Wednesday 27th February

Squats

50kg x 5
    60kg x 5
    70kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    40kg x 10

Front Squats

40kg x 8 x 3

Box Squats in Smith Machine

50kg x 8 x 3

Calf Raises

Lots and lots and lots...

Superset- Extensions and Leg Curls

Can't remember the weight but it was medium weight high reps

Lunges

About 120 yards all in unweighted.

Biceps

Curls, hammers, seated EZ curl etc..

Noticed some size difference today and weighed in at 77kg. Also quite lean which is good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

[

Box Squats in Smith Machine

No

No

I can't do them in the squat rack, I always feel like falling on my hole:pac:

Other then that, how do you think my trainings looking? Think I've cleaned up my bad habits?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

Other then that, how do you think my trainings looking? Think I've cleaned up my bad habits?

We'd take you more seriously if you said i fell on my hole trying to do box squats that saying you squatted in the smith machine...

keep eating...keep squatting..report back in 10-12 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

Surely that should tell you theres something wrong either a technique thing or just a weakness somewhere. Theres no shame in doing them bar only to get the hang of it.
    I did them last week for the 1st time, I got to the same weight Id use on my 2nd warm up set for regular squats, I couldnt go any higher, it was an eye opener!

Surely that should tell you theres something wrong either a technique thing or just weakness. Theres no shame in doing them bar only to get the hang of it.
    I did them last week for the 1st time, I got to the same weight Id use on my 2nd warm up set for regular squats, I couldnt go any higher it was an eye opener!

I'm gonna have a good look on youtube now for a properly good technique video. I was so shocked at the amount of poor form of some people in the gym today. People throwing crazy amount of weight on the bar to squat less then halfway down..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

I'm gonna have a good look on youtube now for a properly good technique video. I was so shocked at the amount of poor form of some people in the gym today. People throwing crazy amount of weight on the bar to squat less then halfway down..

I like to call them power courtesys! Ive seen it too and it makes me wonder, I worked in with a lad squatting and he commented I must have good knees as I was going to parallel as opposed to his half squats, presumably he had an issue but I think generally its about working the ego not the lift.

Advertisement