Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time to get serious!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

I like to call them power courtesys! Ive seen it too and it makes me wonder, I worked in with a lad squatting and he commented I must have good knees as I was going to parallel as opposed to his half squats, presumably he had an issue but I think generally its about working the ego not the lift.

I got that last week when I was going for my 120kg squat last week 'Do you not think that you're going a bit deep for a heavy squat like that?' Well no, thats just how their done!

Thursday 28th February

What a ****ing session! Mate hit 190kg deadlift, got the 195 to his knees and couldn't go any further. Another mate hit 135kg. He was saddened after when I told him leave the weight on the bar I have to do reps of it:P

Warm Up

10min walk & Hyper extensions.

Deadlift

Bar x 15 and 60kg x 10 to warm up to back

135kg x 1 x 2

Speed Deadlifts

110kg x 8 x 3

SLDL

80kg x 8 x 3

Arched Back GM's

45kg x 8 x 3

Bent Over Rows

65kg x 8 x 3

Reverse Grip Lat Pulldowns

60 x 8 x 3

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭divito06

What weight are you looking to hit?
    I would hope to gain 2 pounds a week. I should have a stone on by June. All going well. Worked out diet so j won't gain alot of fat. Had 3,587 cals yesterday. I measured everyone to give me a rough idea what i was consuming already so I've to up the game abit before. I wasn't full yesterday at all. I done a big shop in asda of all clean food. Shopping trolly was over flowing it cost €165. 2kg bag of oats £1.83 etc very cheap.

How did you get on with your 4,300cals?

What weight are you looking to hit?
    I would hope to gain 2 pounds a week. I should have a stone on by June. All going well. Worked out diet so j won't gain alot of fat. Had 3,587 cals yesterday. I measured everyone to give me a rough idea what i was consuming already so I've to up the game abit before. I wasn't full yesterday at all. I done a big shop in asda of all clean food. Shopping trolly was over flowing it cost €165. 2kg bag of oats £1.83 etc very cheap.

How did you get on with your 4,300cals?

All looking well so. Hope it falls into place for you anyway.

Yeah I hit 4,300 no problem. Probably closer to 5,000 before I actually felt full. Snacked on almonds/pistachios/cashews throughout the day and hadn't realised I'd nearly eaten my 'recommended' bulking calories. Might slow the bulk down a bit just so as I don't get a bit of a tummy. I like my abs after all :P

• Advertisement

All looking well so. Hope it falls into place for you anyway.

Yeah I hit 4,300 no problem. Probably closer to 5,000 before I actually felt full. Snacked on almonds/pistachios/cashews throughout the day and hadn't realised I'd nearly eaten my 'recommended' bulking calories. Might slow the bulk down a bit just so as I don't get a bit of a tummy. I like my abs after all :P
    Thats good. Its easy enough when you think about it. I made a shake today 300ml milk 3 scoop ice cream 3 tbsp peanut butter 50g scoop of gainer and top it off with ice, blend and enjoy. Hitting a bout 900 - 1000 calories. Im trying the same not to take in too much fat around 120g. Carbs 400 protein 250.

Burn off the belly when your cutting.

Monday 4th March

Warm Up

6min walk @ 6km/hr & stretching.

Bench Press

40kg x 5
    50kg x 5
    55kg x 5
    60kg x 5
    65kg x 5

Gonna keep adding 2.5kg to the start. Next week will see 67.5kg x 5 at the top set. Hoping in a few weeks I'll be able to increase my 1RM again.

Floor Press

20kg x 6
    22kg x 6
    24kg x 6
    26kg x 6 x 3

First time doing this. Great exercise really felt a good pump in the chest. Changed the angle I usually hold the DB's at and felt it a lot more. This will feature more for sure..

Incline Bench

50kg x 8 x 3

Superset- Kickbacks & Dips

KB's- 10kg x 10 x 3
    Dips- BW x 5 x 3

Close Grip Bench

40kg x 12
    45kg x 10
    50kg x 8

Tricep Extension Machine

150 x 10
    160 x 10
    170 x 8

Machine only goes to 170lbs so its all about reps here..

Skull Crushers

20kg x 10 x 2
    25kg x 8

Attempted a few muscle ups before leaving but didn't have it in the tank to do them. Helped out a newbie guy getting his technique right doing squats. 15 yrs old atm so hopefully he'll be very strong if he sticks at it in a few years..

On the weight news, I weighed in at 78kg this morning:D Delighted to finally see some mass. Another 7kg and I'll cut back to maybe 80kg. Then I'll go on a slow leaner bulk to 85kg and maintain. Well, that's the plan anyway:rolleyes:

Wednesday March 6th

Words cannot begin to describe how much effort it took to get me to the gym today...

Warm Up

Walking, stretching etc..

OH Press

30kg x 6
    35kg x 6
    40kg x 6
    50kg x 5

Clean & Press (from the hips)

30kg x 6 x 2
    40kg x 6 x 3

Shoulder Press Drop Set

20kg x 6
    16kg x 8
    12kg x 12

Did that 3 times..

Raises- Front and Side

8kg x 10 x 3 on both raises.

Shrugs w/ Barbell

70kg x 6
    90kg x 6
    100kg x 5
    110kg x 3

Weighted Chins

BW + 10kg x 10 x 3

Have these in my Coan programme next week so I said I'd see how high I could go. Should be okay in them.

Hoooome. Not feeling the best today, had an awful nights sleep so I fear its because of that.

Deads tomorrow with the two lads

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭BaneV26

How did you find Smolov Jr? I'm thinking of starting it next week and would like to hear your thoughts...

BaneV26 wrote: »
    How did you find Smolov Jr? I'm thinking of starting it next week and would like to hear your thoughts...

Its difficult, but I liked it. One thing I regret was not getting enough food in throughout the weeks I was doing it. I don't think I got in enough fats to recover to 100% before the next session.

All said though, I'd recommend it. Currently I'm just adding 2.5kg to my bench each week on the top sets to hopefully in 4 weeks time to get my current 1Rm max of 80kg x 3 and maybe get a PR of 85-90kg.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

smolov + food == Profit

or to look at it in another way

volume + food ==Profit.

that is all.

smolov + food == Profit

or to look at it in another way

volume + food ==Profit.

that is all.

A fact I'm learning all too well. Feeling much stronger on most exercises since my calories have been over 3500. Beginning to love my eating and get grouchy without food:pac:

Thanks drifter, for the advice over the past few weeks.

No gym til next week. Girlfriend was admitted to hospital. Somethings just matter more.

See you next Monday log..

• Registered Users Posts: 39,311 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

No gym til next week. Girlfriend was admitted to hospital. Somethings just matter more.

See you next Monday log..
    Hope it's nothing too serious. Take a break from it for a few days. No point in trying to do too much if your head is else where.

How's Coan going anyway? What week are you on now/next?

Mellor wrote: »
    Hope it's nothing too serious. Take a break from it for a few days. No point in trying to do too much if your head is else where.

How's Coan going anyway? What week are you on now/next?

Exactly. Everything will be fine in a few days all going well, thanks.

Coan is going well. This week, tonight actually, would have been week three. Would have had me doing 145kg x 1 x 2 sets and 120kg x 8 x 3 speed deads. Was a tad worried about this week being so close to my 1RM. Even bought a pre workout today in prep for it:p It won't go to waste thats for sure.

Next week I'll hit week 3. Week 4 is going to be a PR for me- 152.5kg x 1 x 2 and the speeds approach 130kg if I'm remembering right.

It's brought me to realise a lot of the advice I got on here (that I admittedly ignored) needs to come into practise when you take on a programme of the magnitude like Coans.

I hope Hanley's previous comment on the percentage volume doesn't come into play in weeks 5-6 and I can keep getting stronger.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

IIRC, week 4 and week 8 are a nightmare. I've missed reps on those weeks but retried them the next week and hit them grand. Once you stick to it, you'll be fine.

Hopefully it'll all go to plan but if it doesn't I'll just re-do that week twice until I get it.

How did you find the speed deads?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

Didn't have much of a bother with the speed deads. Just not always speedy!

Squeezed in a quick session today in Eastway Fitness Club when the hospital kicked me out after visiting hours ended. Like the gym and the guys in it seem pretty sound. Jason? I think was the dude on the front desk and was extremely welcoming and asked me a nice bit about myself. I'd love to train there full time but the distance would be crazy. Maybe in Sept when I'm in college I'll train there more often but for now I'll just stick to training there when I can.

Just did a bit of DB Pressing, Flyes and Bench Press there. Was doing 75kg x 1 x 6 just because I had no spotter. On my 4th set for say I was just about to rack when Blue Shinners was standing over me spotting saying you have 3 more in you. Small bit star-struck, I did it. Which actually made it a PB for me- 75kg x 4.

Did a little bit of biceps and triceps too. Tried my new pre workout, SAW, great stuff I felt pumped after mixing it with some creatine. Tasted lovely too.

Squeezed in a quick session today in Eastway Fitness Club when the hospital kicked me out after visiting hours ended. Like the gym and the guys in it seem pretty sound. Jason? I think was the dude on the front desk and was extremely welcoming and asked me a nice bit about myself. I'd love to train there full time but the distance would be crazy. Maybe in Sept when I'm in college I'll train there more often but for now I'll just stick to training there when I can.

Just did a bit of DB Pressing, Flyes and Bench Press there. Was doing 75kg x 1 x 6 just because I had no spotter. On my 4th set for say I was just about to rack when Blue Shinners was standing over me spotting saying you have 3 more in you. Small bit star-struck, I did it. Which actually made it a PB for me- 75kg x 4.

Did a little bit of biceps and triceps too. Tried my new pre workout, SAW, great stuff I felt pumped after mixing it with some creatine. Tasted lovely too.
    Blue is sound. He used to have a supplement shop on station road in limerick couple of years ago. My cousin done a bit of training with him getting him ready for Mr. World about 2 to 3 years ago.

• Advertisement

divito06 wrote: »
    Blue is sound. He used to have a supplement shop on station road in limerick couple of years ago. My cousin done a bit of training with him getting him ready for Mr. World about 2 to 3 years ago.

I'd love to get talking to him but he seemed pretty engrossed in his workout and I'd be damned if I interrupted him:pac: I'd love to hear his experiences and knowledge of bodybuilding. There were 3 lads deadlifting today and were doing 250kg + at there ease. I was in awe. I wish my own gym was more focused because after just training in that environment I felt really motivated and hit the muscles hard today.

How did he got on?

It gives you a buzz when you training. They would all push each other on when it comes to training. He won.. Now either Im eating tomuch or what but my weight is gone up 6.3 lbs since i started my diet 2 weeks ago.. Stuffed

Got another session in at Eastway on Saturday. Did some deadlifting along with the rest of my Coan workout. Wasnt of much benefit considering the low kcal diet I've been having the past few days.

Herself is still inside, looking as though it'll be tomorrow when she's home. See you late this week/early next week log..

Not to bad. Keep it up.

Hope all is well.

Good news, girlfriend was let out this afternoon. Will probably hit the gym tomorrow and do some squats or whatever I feel like at the time :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

Good news, girlfriend was let out this afternoon. Will probably hit the gym tomorrow and do some squats or whatever I feel like at the time :pac:

Or you could stay at home and make sure your girlfriend is comfor......na **** that...go squatting.

Or you could stay at home and make sure your girlfriend is comfor......na **** that...go squatting.

She threw me outta the hospital Saturday and told me and I quote 'Go do some deadlifting or something' :pac:

Tuesday 12th March

Great, fantastic session today!! Feeling pumped and destroyed after it:D

Warm Up

5min on stepper @ effort level 7.
    Hip Abductions.
    15min stretching.

Back Squats

75kg x 2 x 3
    80kg x 2 x 3
    85kg x 2 x 3
    50kg x 10 x 3

Front Squats

40kg x 10 x 3

Leg Extensions

110 x 15 x 3
    190 x 10 x 2
    250 x 5 x 2

Leg Curls

30 x 15
    35 x 15 x 2

Jefferson Squats

Bar x 8
    30kg x 8
    40kg x 8

Then another 1km on the stepper @ effort level 7.

Front squats really ****ed with my back today and the belts in the gym were digging into my hips and really causing discomfort.

Having a properly dirty bulking day. Need to throw on the kg's since my low kcal eating weekend. Tipped in at 79kg today in the gym so I can't complain. These are numbers I've never seen before too.

Gotta get me some dedicated squatting shoes too. Probably be converse because I can't afford to throw 200e at adi-powers.

Will keep doing jefferson squats also, they feel like they target the legs in a whole new way. As well as those I'm gonna keep using the stepper. Legs were nicely warmed up for squats after it.

Felt the tingles from Beta Alanine today. Didn't mind the feeling in my legs but around the mouth was a tad uncomfortable. Will look at getting a pre workout that is more caffeine based and not as stimulative as whats in SAW pre workout. It gives good pump and that but I don't feel comfortable with the tingles.

Anyway as a finishing note.. DOMS... Come at me brah:cool:

You should buy a powerlifting belt from irishlifting.com that where i got mine. Great quality and strong, the support is unreal.

Your weights coming on.

• Advertisement

You should buy a powerlifting belt from irishlifting.com that where i got mine. Great quality and strong, the support is unreal.

Your weights coming on.

Advertisement