Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time to get serious!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Its weird because the belt is the one I normally wear so I don't know what was up. I'd love an Inzer belt but that'll take some saving!

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭divito06

Its weird because the belt is the one I normally wear so I don't know what was up. I'd love an Inzer belt but that'll take some saving!
    You'll get a good belt for round €50 - €70. I only played 50. Careful if you ever think about buying from Irish lifting.

I was buying the misses brother a belt two weeks ago and on line there all in stock. So i rang to be sure and he said it'll be a long long time before he gets them in.

How far are you into your programme.?

divito06 wrote: »
    You'll get a good belt for round €50 - €70. I only played 50. Careful if you ever think about buying from Irish lifting.

I was buying the misses brother a belt two weeks ago and on line there all in stock. So i rang to be sure and he said it'll be a long long time before he gets them in.

How far are you into your programme.?

I'm around Limerick a lot so I could pick one up if I really needed it. I'll scout about online for those lever belts. I'll ask in the off-topic thread too.

Well last Thursday was supposed to be week 3 but since my girlfriend ended up in hospital I didn't get around to doing it. Although I did deadlift Saturday, I'll just do week 3 this Thursday just so as I don't get ahead of myself and take a battering.

Back in the gym!!!!!! Back day mo fo's!!

Thursday 14th March

Back day..

Warm Up

5 mins on stepper.
    Lots of stretching and broom stick work:pac:

Deadlift

Warm Up;

70kg x 12
    100kg x 8

Working;

145kg x 1 x 2
    120kg x 6 x 3

Form was SH!T as you'll see in the videos..

SLDL

70kg x 8
    80kg x 8
    90kg x 8

These were actually very good.

Barbell Bent Over Rows

70kg x 8 x 3

Gonna drop the weight next week and get more time under tension.

Lat Pull Down

55 x 10 x 3

Pull Ups

8 x 3

V Bar Pull Downs

50 x 12 x 3

DB Lat Row

Set 1:

16kg x 8
    10kg x 12

Set 2:

20kg x 8
    10kg x 12

Set 3:

22kg x 8
    10kg x 12

No breaks in between higher weights and lower on either arm.

Reverse Flyes

8kg x 8 x 5

So here are my first ever videos I've recorded. The form on both is shocking which is unlike me cause I'm a form freak. Disappointed to say the least but, I'm gonna put them up here for people to criticize me:pac: Showed it to one of the boys and he was like are you sure that's you?:pac: Disappointed but I know what I did wrong compared to usual. I didn't sit into it enough and get to the flat point in my back. Oh well, it didn't cause injury but I fear it would if I kept this up. I'll get it sorted next week.

145kg x 1

120kg x 6

Must say the phone did a good job in quality of picture recording:pac:

Anyway, off ye go with ye're 'Your form is **** comments':pac:

I'll continue to post videos of the big lifts and ones I feel necessary that need critiquing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

Did you not just deadlift 3 days ago?

• Advertisement

Dathai wrote: »
    Did you not just deadlift 3 days ago?

Nope. Squatted Tuesday.

I've seen worse. When you did the 145kg it wasn't great or **** but it'll get better with practice. The 120's where better, get the chest out. The banging ( bouncing) the weight is cheating a bit. But we all do it. Everything else is great. Keep it up. . Every little helps.

I've seen worse. When you did the 145kg it wasn't great or **** but it'll get better with practice. The 120's where better, get the chest out. The banging ( bouncing) the weight is cheating a bit. But we all do it. Everything else is great. Keep it up. . Every little helps.

I usually perform much better but tonight I just wasn't on it. My feet didn't settle right either.

Re the speeds- I don't know whats really meant by them whether its bounce and lift or drop and lift. But then it's not a speed DL for say, just an ordinary one?

I think it’s important to outline what a speed deadlift is. Simply take any variation of the deadlift, and perform it at a lighter percentage: 35-80% of one-rep max (1RM) for sets of 1-5 reps. The higher the percentage, the lower the rep scheme, and vice versa. Examples include 8x1 at 80% of 1RM, 6x3 at 50% of 1RM, and 4x5 at 35% of 1RM. It’s possible to add chains or bands to the exercise, too, if you have access to them. You would rest anywhere from 30s to 120s between sets. That doesn't mean you have to bounce it.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,310 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I think it’s important to outline what a speed deadlift is. Simply take any variation of the deadlift, and perform it at a lighter percentage: 35-80% of one-rep max (1RM) for sets of 1-5 reps. The higher the percentage, the lower the rep scheme, and vice versa. Examples include 8x1 at 80% of 1RM, 6x3 at 50% of 1RM, and 4x5 at 35% of 1RM. It’s possible to add chains or bands to the exercise, too, if you have access to them. You would rest anywhere from 30s to 120s between sets. That doesn't mean you have to bounce it.
    Except that the program already has preset values for weight %, sets, reps and rest.

It looks like you copy and pasted that from here. You forgot the part that actually defines a speed deadlift, bar speed.
    Re the speeds- I don't know whats really meant by them whether its bounce and lift or drop and lift. But then it's not a speed DL for say, just an ordinary one?
    With speed deadlifts, you are try ing to lift from the ground as fast as possible. The idea is that "faster lift = more force produced"
    It's not about doing the whole set as fast as possible, nor about going from rep to rep without stopping. So there no need to bounce or hurry. You only need to do the lift part fast, you can take you time on the descent and also when resetting.

So something like this;

Lift as fast as possible
    Lower calmly under control
    Reset the bar on the ground, get ready
    Lift as fast ... etc

is still a speed deadlift.
    Hope that helps.

Deadlift

Warm Up;

70kg x 12
    100kg x 8

Working;

145kg x 1 x 2
    120kg x 6 x 3

Form was SH!T as you'll see in the videos..

I don't like the idea of jumping from 100 to 140kg, at least stick in a 130kg triple or something.

But the biggest issue, if that you've made a mistake with the program.

145kg x 1 x 2 ... This is supposed to be a double at 145kg, ie 1 set of 2 reps
    120kg x 6 x 3 .. This one is supposed to 6 sets of 3 reps, not sets of 6. The bright side is that this makes the "speed" easier to hit for only 3 reps.

The notation for Coan is "sets x reps". I'm guessing you did it the wrong way around for the first two weeks also, I didn't notice until you posted the videos.

SLDL

70kg x 8
    80kg x 8
    90kg x 8

These were actually very good.

Barbell Bent Over Rows

70kg x 8 x 3

Gonna drop the weight next week and get more time under tension.

Lat Pull Down

55 x 10 x 3
    These are supposed to be a done as 3 circuits (along with good mornings)
    Pull Ups

V Bar Pull Downs

DB Lat Row

Reverse Flyes

These aren't part of the program, there's prob no harm in the extra work at this stage, but you should concentrate on getting the program right first. - as you approach the peak the program alone will get ridiculously tough.

Hope this post isn't doesn't sound too negative, but Coan is a very tough program, getting it the little things wrong could see it not be of any benefit. I would start again, maybe just repeat week 3 if you think you can.

• Advertisement

One word.. BALLS!

Thanks Mellor!

To say I feel stupid now would be an understatement..

Actually forgot to type in the GM's. Not that it matters anymore..

GM's:

40kg x 8
    50kg x 8
    55kg x 8

sigh...

One word.. BALLS!

Thanks Mellor!

To say I feel stupid now would be an understatement..
    Don't sweat it.
    Easy mistake to make tbh. I always log my sessions as "reps x sets" too. So i automatically reads others that way. Apparently we're the minority.

Repeat week 3 or 4 next week and go from there.

Mellon,, looks can be deceiving. Im afraid your Wrong i didn't get from here. Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

Mellon,, looks can be deceiving. Im afraid your Wrong i didn't get from here. Lol

Then why is your post, word for word, identical to the text on the website?

DylanJM wrote: »

Then why is your post, word for word, identical to the text on the website?
    Its not identical its exactly what worded. Mellon said i got from here (boards). But It from here http://www.ericcressey.com/5-how-to-deadlift-technique-strength-training-programs. I never said i did or didn't write it. Now if there anything else i can help u with pm me so we're not filling this up with **** .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

Its not identical its exactly what worded. Mellon said i got from here (boards). But It from here http://www.ericcressey.com/5-how-to-deadlift-technique-strength-training-programs. I never said i did or didn't write it. Now if there anything else i can help u with pm me so we're not filling this up with **** .

Sorry I misunderstood, I thought you were saying you didn't get it from that site.

Lol what are you talking about?
    I didn't say you got it from boards, i think you need check my post again the, word "here" is a link to a website. The exact website you said you got it from. I really hope you missed the link and misread my post, because otherwise you're not making much sense.

Mellor wrote: »
    Lol what are you talking about?
    I didn't say you got it from boards, i think you need check my post again the, word "here" is a link to a website. The exact website you said you got it from. I really hope you missed the link and misread my post, because otherwise you're not making much sense.
    I misunderstood. My apologies. Anyway back to training..

Friday 16th March

Warm Up

Stepper
    Broom Work
    Stretching

OH Press

50kg x 8 x 3
    55kg x 6
    60kg x 5

Raises- Front & Side

8kg on both x 12 x 3

Seated Press

22kg x 10 x 2
    24kg x 8
    26kg x 5

Reverse Flyes

14kg x 8 x 3

Shrugs

80kg x 10
    90kg x 8
    100kg x 5

Still feel a small bit deflated over the whole Coan programme thing. Thanks to Mellor for pointing it out. Probably made my job harder but it'll be worth it in the end. As suggested, I'm going to repeat week 4 next week. Had a look at the programme again online and still think I would have read it reps x sets.

Anyway, I'm going to begin some more fitness work. My poor aul Ridley Noah needs some loving:rolleyes:

See you next week lads and Happy Paddys Day.

• Advertisement

Man on a mission today, awake at the craic of dawn! This week I intend to eat my way to 80kg! Starting with 150g of oats, a protein shake and a pint of milk! 9 o clock and its fry time!

Boooooo yeaah!!! In a great mood today. Squats later I think! Must look at the programme and I'll see what this weeks splits are!

It finally got serious...

Tuesday 19th March

Warm Up

Stepper- 5mins
    Hip Abductions 5 x 15-20 reps
    Stretches- 15mins

Squats

Bar x 10
    50kg x 10
    60kg x 5
    70kg x 3
    80kg x 2
    85kg x 2
    90kg x 2

5kg progression here. Gonna keep this up.

15 second rest here;

60kg x 3 reps x 2
    50kg x 6 reps x 2
    40kg x 8 reps x 2

Leg Extensions

Single Leg;

90 x 12 x 2

Both;

190 x 10
    210 x 10
    230 x 10

Single Leg (No rest);

50 x 5 x 5

Leg Curls

Single Leg;

10 x 10
    15 x 10

Both;

35 x 10
    40 x 10
    45 x 8
    50 x 8
    55 x 4

Front Squats

Bar x 10
    30kg x 10
    40kg x 8
    50kg x 5

Calf Raises

Lotz and lotz of these..

Stepper

High intensity for 5 mins.

Safe to say I'm spent. Food is going well today, I'll reach 4,000kcals before the end of the night.

Happy with the progression. Legs are coming along now and are about 24inches compared to the measly 21 1/4 inches I had in late January.

245638.jpg

Got bored so I said I'd throw up my stack of goodies. Got some new things today so I'm gonna have a test of those and see how I get on with them. Here;

5kg bag of 82% protein- BulkPowders
    5kg bag of oats- BulkPowders (New)
    5kg bag of ON Serious Mass- Optimum Nutrition
    2 x 500g bag of creatine monohydrate- BulkPowders
    x4 Shaker bottles- ON, BulkPowders, Maximuscle (x2 new)
    200g tub S.A.W pre-workout- Trec Nutrition
    L-Glutamine x 2
    Joint Care
    100g bag of L-Taurine- BulkPowders (New)
    Sampler of Trec Nutrition whey protein.
    1kg bag of dextrose- BulkPowders (New)
    Straps and gloves.

So what, I got bored:pac:

Sorry for huge pic..

Nice..

Wednesday 20th March

Warm Up

Shouder work with broom stick
    5min on treadmill

Incline Bench Press

40kg x 10
    50kg x 8
    55kg x 7
    60kg x 5
    50kg x 8 x 2

Floor Press w/ DB's

22kg x 5 x 2
    24kg x 5 x 2
    26kg x 5 x 2
    30kg x 5

Incline DB Press Dropsets

Set 1;

22kg x 8
    16kg x 10
    10kg x 12

Set 2;

22kg x 6
    16kg x 9
    10kg x 12

Set 3;

22kg x 5
    16kg x 8
    10kg x 10

God this hurt..

Bench Press

40kg x 8
    50kg x 8 x 2
    60kg x 5
    50kg x 5 x 2

My stupid double joints in my left shoulder decided to reap there ugly head and cause me to fail on my 6th rep on the last 50kg.. embarrassing.

Bicep Curls- EZ Bar and Seated Alternates w/ DB's

Set 1;

10kg x 20 - seated
    25kg x 8- EZ

Set 2 and 3 were the same.

Bicep Curls on Machine

Set 1;

45 x 8- both arms
    20 x 8- either arm

Set 2 and 3 were the same.

Barbell Curls

20kg x 10 x 3
    25kg x 8 x 2

Rope Curls

45 x 8 x 3

Showed a mate how hard the stepper actually is after his leg work today:pac: He dropped out after 3 minutes. Did 10 myself to cool off.

Thursday 21st March

Warm Up

Shoulder work with broom and dumbells.*
    Stepper for 5mins @ 6

Deadlifts

Warm Up;

70kg x 5- Sumo-ed these for the first time.
    100kg x 3
    130kg x 3
    140kg x 3

Workings;

152.5kg x 2- I did it right this week! Easy. PR

Speeds;

127.5kg x 3 x5 sets

SLDL's

90kg x 3 x 8

Bent Over Rows

40kg x 8 x 3
    50kg x 5 x 2

Did them really bent over so I dropped the weight and took a shot to my ego:pac:

Lat Pull Down

40 x 8
    50 x 8
    60 x 8

Reverse Grip Lat Pull Down

40 x 8
    50 x 8
    60 x 8

Dropsetted then;

60 x 8
    50 x 12
    40 x 16

V Bar Pull Downs

45 x 8
    50 x 8
    60 x 8

Lat Rows

Set 1;

22kg x 8
    10kg x 12

Sets 2 and 3 were the same.

Arched back GM's

55kg x 8 x 3

Looooooots of volume on back tonight. Loved it, even if it's not in the programme.

Did calf raises too.

Bench Press

60kg x 1
    65kg x 1
    70kg x 1
    75kg x 1
    80kg x 1

Was spotting a mate and decided I'd jump in to do a few sets of 1. 80kg, my previous best, was easy.

Warm Down

More stepper. I love this thing:pac:

*The shoulder warm up work is getting much better since beginning it. Able to hold the broom much closer and put it behind my back and stuff now. A mate needed the width of the broom to do it, was pleased:pac:

Its funny, I remember when I was in 3rd year and there was this asshole in my school who used to always act the 'hard man' around the school that was in the gym tonight. A few years ago, he used to try intimidate people including myself, and tonight, I laughed. I'm not being cruel but he's a weak little pussy:pac: Seen him do a few bench sets, 5kg on either side of the bar and failing at 10 reps.

Was only warming up when he was doing these. He gave me this smart arse smirk as if to say 'You in a gym? HA!' which I laughed at cause I knew he was a pathetic tool. I then went deadlifting. Safe to say his smugness changed. Came over to me all complimentary, he left the gym with a brown nose:pac:

It's funny, when I think back to then being 57kg, probably afraid more then anything to tell them **** off:pac: Now I see these idiots walking the streets stoned and drunk all day everyday, destined for the dole for life and think I was such an ass back then:pac:

I'd love to see them step inside a gym, lie under the bench and press their body weight, stand with 120kg on there shoulders, pick 150kg off the floor cause I bet they couldn't. Something I learned recently is, who you are in a town as in your surname, determines whether you're a 'hard man' or not- which is ridiculous. Physical strength is determined in the gym not just because you're a scummy little pr!ck with a few mates who can hold you down while he plays the hard man role!

Sorry about the long post, rather nostalgic tonight:pac:

/nostalgia over.

Did biceps, triceps and shoulders on Friday. Lots of dropsets and supersets for super bro pump.

Will be squatting tomorrow.

Monday 25th March

Warm Up

Shoulder Mobility
    Stepper @ 7 for 5 mins
    Hip Abductions 5 x 15 (2 heavy, 3 lighter)

Squats

Bar x 8
    40kg x 8
    50kg x 5
    60kg x 3
    70kg x 3
    75kg x 2
    80kg x 2
    85kg x 2
    90kg x 1 x 2
    95kg x 1 x 2

Dropset;

70kg x 3
    60kg x 5
    50kg x 6
    40kg x 8

Leg Extensions

Single Leg;

70 x 8 x 3

Both Legs;

150 x 8
    190 x 8
    230 x 8
    250 x 8

Single Leg (No Rest);

70 x 5 x 5

Leg Curls

Single Leg;

10 x 10
    15 x 10

Both Legs;

35 x 8
    40 x 8
    45 x 8
    50 x 8
    55 x 8

Front Squats

Bar x 8
    30kg x 8
    40kg x 8
    50kg x 8
    55kg x 5

Calf Raises

Looooadzzzzzzzzzz...

Floor Press

24kg x 6 x 2
    26kg x 6 x 3

Bench Press

Bar x 5
    40kg x 15
    50kg x 15
    60kg x 5
    70kg x 3

Dropsets:

50kg x 10
    40kg x 12
    30kg x 15

Stepper

@7 for 5

Meant to video the squats but I was a bit engrossed and there was quite a few people in the gym for a change. First 95kg squat was a disaster, needed a touch from my friend but it was because I hadn't gone wide enough and let my knees out.

Bench was simple. Lost a lot of weight the weekend so I'm concentrating on getting that back up this week. Slowing my bulk down a tad so I'll be gaining muscle and not fat. Calories will be about 3000kcals.

Shattered, gonna eat and sleep well tonight.

I had intended on bulking through to May and getting shredded to whatever extent I could for Summer but what I think I'll do now is bulk till I feel as though I'm happy with my size. I'd love to compete at something, be it bodybuilding or powerlifting or maybe even both.

Here are a few measurements that I decided to take;

Height: 5 ft 11 inches
    Weight: More accurate reading tomorrow but according to gym scales 78kg. Will take in my trunks tomorrow.
    BF %: Probably 12-13%? Must get it checked.

Arms: 13''
    Quads/Hamstrings: 24''
    Calves:16''
    Chest: 38''

Trainings feeling good but a slight bit monotonous tbh. I'll probably take it handy the next two weeks and back down to 3 days a week.

• Advertisement

Gym scales are lying big time to me. 71kg by my new one. Gutted! Must get onto the gym about that.

Took weight in my normal gym gear At 72.5kg.

New shoes though for squatting/deads

Advertisement