Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time to get serious!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Brian? wrote: »
    Your upper back needs serious attention, as soon as you start to pull it collapses.

Your set up is all over the shop, what's with all the moving around. Once your hands are on the bar it should be knees bent and then pull IMO.

There's more wrong as well. You need to back off on the weight and get correct form locked in. Stick up a vid of you doing a set of 5 at a 5rm and it will tell me more.

Yeah, I do notice that and feel it going when I begin to pull.

Re the movement- It's something I've always done since starting and when I don't do it I feel like I'm losing momentum.

Will do, could be Monday before I get that up with recovery and next week being the end of the Coan programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,316 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Brian? wrote:
    Your upper back needs serious attention, as soon as you start to pull it collapses.

I don't think its a case that it collapses, but rather that its wrong the entire time.

Even as you are setting up your straps, you are hunched over with a rounded back and straight legs, the issue is poor hip mobility. If you look at your vids, you'll see that your bad posture when strapping is carried over directly into your lift. You bend over, strap up, duck and lift.You back stays in that bad shape the whole time. Ideally your posture is good all the time. But at the very least, you should attempt to set a good posture between strapping and lifting.

Check out this series of images. This is the 2 second period immediately before you lift. Form will break down a bit on true max efforts. But is was from the first rep at 120kg. See what I mean about your back?

251058.jpg

Mellor wrote: »
    I don't think its a case that it collapses, but rather that its wrong the entire time.

Even as you are setting up your straps, you are hunched over with a rounded back and straight legs, the issue is poor hip mobility. If you look at your vids, you'll see that your bad posture when strapping is carried over directly into your lift. You bend over, strap up, duck and lift.You back stays in that bad shape the whole time. Ideally your posture is good all the time. But at the very least, you should attempt to set a good posture between strapping and lifting.

Check out this series of images. This is the 2 second period immediately before you lift. Form will break down a bit on true max efforts. But is was from the first rep at 120kg. See what I mean about your back?

That's possibly the best and most eye opening post I've read, thank you for you time and effort Mellor!

So my approach is what's causing my entire deadlift to be off? If I go back 3 weeks, 120kg x 3 deadlift also but I do this without straps/belt, do you find the fact that I don't hunch over to set up straps improves my form because I just have to focus on my back?

This is the video I'm talking about;

It was really interesting to see those 2 seconds prior to lifting broken down and it's definitely and image I've saved. Making a list of things to work on, would you have anything to add to this;

1. Concentration setting up.
    2. Hip mobility.
    3. Controlling my back throughout the entire lift.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,316 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

That ones a lot better imo.
    That looks like a good list of areas to work on.
    I think the problem is that the right position isn't comfortable (mobility) so its easier to strap up in a bad position, which gets carried over.
    I'd definitely work out the set up first of all. Sort out straps, then set up the lift. Actively think to move your hips into the right position before you lift. Using chalk and not straps would allow for a faster set up, which lessens the chance of slipping into a bad position as you hang about before lifting.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,263 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Re the movement- It's something I've always done since starting and when I don't do it I feel like I'm losing momentum.

Will do, could be Monday before I get that up with recovery and next week being the end of the Coan programme.

Losing momentum is a good thing in this case, it's a deadlift.

Lose the straps, they're a distraction.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

Mellor wrote: »
    That ones a lot better imo.
    That looks like a good list of areas to work on.
    I think the problem is that the right position isn't comfortable (mobility) so its easier to strap up in a bad position, which gets carried over.
    I'd definitely work out the set up first of all. Sort out straps, then set up the lift. Actively think to move your hips into the right position before you lift. Using chalk and not straps would allow for a faster set up, which lessens the chance of slipping into a bad position as you hang about before lifting.

Seems like it's just all my own laziness in not setting up correctly after setting the straps. I'll look into getting some chalk so I could lose the straps. I have serious grip issues.
    Brian? wrote: »
    Losing momentum is a good thing in this case, it's a deadlift.

Lose the straps, they're a distraction.

I know but losing it to the point where I won't lift.
    Dathai wrote: »

Thanks Dathai, that's an interesting video.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,168 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Do you use mixed grip and chalk?

Also I think you're probably underestimating effect of you mobility on your setup. If you've good mobility a good setup will almost come naturally.

Look up the couch stretch and do that for 10+ minutes every day for next two weeks to loosen out hips.

Sangre wrote: »
    Do you use mixed grip and chalk?

Also I think you're probably underestimating effect of you mobility on your setup. If you've good mobility a good setup will almost come naturally.

Look up the couch stretch and do that for 10+ minutes every day for next two weeks to loosen out hips.

I use a under/over grip with straps.

Thanks, will do.

Get some chalk asap. Most outdoor stores sell it, will only set you back a few euro. Powder or liquid is fine. You'll be surprised how much of a difference it will make.

• Advertisement

Get some chalk asap. Most outdoor stores sell it, will only set you back a few euro. Powder or liquid is fine. You'll be surprised how much of a difference it will make.

The likes of B & Q would sell it?

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Turbo_diesel

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭divito06

Buy a block of chalk.. dont mind that liquid stuff..

Whats the liquid stuff like?

Whats the liquid stuff like?

I tried it once it wasn't for me.. Always chalk, it works.

divito06 wrote: »
    I tried it once it wasn't for me.. Always chalk, it works.

Did you pick it up online? Is it literally liquid?

It was a spray. Your hands can still sweat with it. The thing about chalk is it can be a little messy on the bars. If your gym dont mind it.

Try a bit off someone. see what you think your self.

divito06 wrote: »
    It was a spray. Your hands can still sweat with it. The thing about chalk is it can be a little messy on the bars. If your gym dont mind it.

Try a bit off someone. see what you think your self.

My gym would be fine with it as long as I don't make a mess. Most of the people in my gym don't go near the spare Olympic bar anyway.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0018IB7RS

You can buy a bag for it aswell so u dont waste any or a persil tablet bag for the washing machine will do and put it in a lunch box. Bingo lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭Thud

most of the liquid chalks aren't sprays, it's chalk dust in alcohol in a squeezy bottle, the alcohol evaporates quickly so you are left with chalk dust on your hands.

Great Outdoors, Snow & Rock in Dundrum or climbing/camping stores sell it

• Advertisement

Thud wrote: »
    most of the liquid chalks aren't sprays, it's chalk dust in alcohol in a squeezy bottle, the alcohol evaporates quickly so you are left with chalk dust on your hands.

Great Outdoors, Snow & Rock in Dundrum or climbing/camping stores sell it

I'll order some off ebay. Dublin is a bit of a trip from Tipperary and I don't know if I'll be in Limerick before the camping store is closed this week.

Monday 29th April

Warm Up

Hip & Shoulder Mobility
    Stepper

Squats

Bar x 5 x 2
    30kg x 5
    40kg x 5
    60kg x 5
    70kg x 3
    80kg x 3
    90kg x 1 x 2
    95kg x 1
    100kg x 1
    105kg x 1

50kg x 10 x 4

SLDL

70kg x 10 x 4

Leg Press

250 x 10 x 4

Lunges w/12kg & 10kg DB's

4 sets of these. A set is about 80metres. Up and down with weight then drop and up and down without weight. Was doing it with a mate so when he had the 10's I had the 12's. 2 sets using each weight.

Leg Extensions

110 x 10

Dropset-

190 x 10
    170 x 10
    150 x 8
    130 x 7
    110 x 10

No rest- f*cked.

Pull Ups

BW x 5 x 5

Other Lat Work & Calves

Squat Video;

105kg

100kg

More on my channel but these were the top sets.

Tueday 30th April

Last day of Spring thank god, ****ing hate Spring:pac:

Warm Up

Shoulder + Hip Mobility
    Stretches
    Talking:pac:

Superset- Incline DB Press w/ Incline Flyes

Press- 30kg x 6 x 5
    Flyes- 14kg x 10 x 5

Bench Press

40kg x 5
    50kg x 5 x 2
    60kg x 5 x 2
    70kg x 3 x 3
    50kg x 12 x 2

Triceps for the first time in ages:pac:

Pushdowns w/ Rope- 5 sets
    Cable Extensions- 3 sets either arm
    Skull Crushers- 4 sets @ 15kg

Deltoid Press

30 x 8 x 2
    35 x 8
    40 x 8
    50 x 5 x 2

Superset- Neutral Grip Chin Ups & Pull Ups

BW x 6 x 5 on each

60 reps of pull ups/chins:eek: They're coming along thank god.

Feeling fatigued but strong today. I'll aim for 30kg x 7 x 5 on the incline DB next week and hopefully keep progressing each week. Our DB's jump from 30kg to 35kg so I'll have to get real strong before touching them. I'd press them but I'd need a spotter to get them up.

Taking tomorrow so will just foam roll and stretch before Thursday when I smash 170kg and hopefully even more!

Squats look a lot better than your deadlifts. Depth is decent as well. I'd suggest maybe going a fraction deeper in order to break parallel.

Squats look a lot better than your deadlifts. Depth is decent as well. I'd suggest maybe going a fraction deeper in order to break parallel.

Squat weight has gone to though. Squatted 120 3 months ago or so. I was trying out those shoes for the first time too. Going to try something different with squats for the next few weeks considering the Coan programme is near as good over.

Going sorting out my hips for good next week when I get my bands. Been watching a lot of Bryce Lewis lately.

Thursday 2nd May

D-Day!!

Warm Up

5min walk @ 5km/hr
    Shoulder and Hip Mobility
    Back Extensions

Deadlifts

Warm Up;

70kg x 5 x 2
    100kg x 5
    120kg x 3
    140kg x 2
    150kg x 1 (Starting PR) Done for old times sake:pac:

So did it happen? By f*ck it did!

170kg x 1 PR
    175 x f

Speeds;

120kg x 3 x 3

Bent Over Row

70kg x 5 x 2

Pulldowns

Front- 4 sets
    Back- 4 sets
    V-Bar- 4 sets

10 reps per set

T Bar Row

35kg x 10
    50kg x 10
    65kg x 10
    80kg x 10
    50kg x 15

DB Row

35kg x 8 x 3

Pull Ups

Neutral Grip & Overhand

BW x 5 x 5 on each.

SLDL

70kg x 5 x 2

Biceps

Hammer Curls
    Preacher Curls w/ EZ Bar
    Reverse Curls

Updates;

1. My lever belt arrived today as you'll see in my deadlift video to come. Took a nice while to set up but once it's done, it's done. Was nice to have it today, delighted when the courier rang to say he had it.

Link; http://www.bestwhey.co.uk/product/-3v3b3c2l3c.html

I got the medium. It might look cheap or whatever but it's a very solid belt and helped me PR today.

2. Ordered some resistance bands earlier too. They're not the best but they'll do for what I want. Also ordered chalk.

3. Coan programme is over. Ten weeks later and each week I've gotten stronger and stronger. Delighted with the results, delighted that I committed to finishing and have the mentality to believe in the fact I can do it.

Video of the 170kg x 1;

Ignore either the shouting or the bad music to cover the shouting please:pac:

Yeah I know what's to come here but I've been working on my hip mobility and it's only been a week and it appears to have improved slightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Congrats with the weight, quick question for you. Iv only been doing dl's for 2 months at most ut should your starting position not be lower to the ground.

stuchyg wrote: »
    Congrats with the weight, quick question for you. Iv only been doing dl's for 2 months at most ut should your starting position not be lower to the ground.

Thanks man. Yeah, I should be much lower but I have hip mobility problems and for me this is actually decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Thanks man. Yeah, I should be much lower but I have hip mobility problems and for me this is actually decent.

Thats grand, I was worried I had been doing them arseways. How's the bulk going by the way. Iv been on it a month and I'd reckon iv gained a kilo at most

• Advertisement

stuchyg wrote: »
    Thats grand, I was worried I had been doing them arseways. How's the bulk going by the way. Iv been on it a month and I'd reckon iv gained a kilo at most

No, you're probably doing them fine man, don't worry:) Bulking is going fine, I've plateaued lately though and hover around the 172pound/78kg mark. I'm happy enough with it though because back in February I'd say I was weighing in around 157pounds which was nothing. Arms were circa 11 inches etc.. Then again, I'll bulk till I feel comfortable. I see you have a wedding soon though so you'll have to cut? Plus, mine hasn't been all that clean either, yours has from what I read.

Just gotta keep lifting and eating and we'll be well up there with the Hanleys, COH's and that:P

Advertisement