Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TEFL course for qualified or trainee secondary school teachers

• 15-01-2013 10:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭

Hi all

I have heard from a few people that qualified secondary school teachers or those doing the Hdip can do a kind of fast-track TEFL course that is recognised abroad.

Does anyone know anything more about this? Where is it offered? How long is it? Is it recognised abroad? Is there funding available?

I will be finishing the Hdip this year in UL in May so would be really keen to do it as I am hoping to teach abroad next year so a TEFL would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 209 ✭✭eager tortoise

Yes there is a course called the Preparatory TEFL Qualification which is for state qualified teachers and is recognised by the DES in teaching TEFL for junior/summer students. I did it a few years ago. It ran for a week in June.It mostly concentrated on the grammar components/level structures/methodologies of TEFL; the idea of teaching experience, classroom management etc is taken as read. If you look at the link below you will find a list of all the schools that run it. I did it after my dip and subsequently taught at an ESL Summer School in Dublin for a couple of summers. Later I also got EAL hours in a secondary school, which I suppose there is less and less of now but still, the certificate is no load to carry :) You may want to look into it further if your intention is to work abroad as I know a lot of foreign language schools want a CELT or CELTA course but I would imagine that a course such as this one along with your teaching qualifications would put you in a good position to make applications.

Here's the link:
    http://www.acels.ie/acelselt.htm#2

• Registered Users Posts: 43 paulap

i-to-i also havea course i was able to travel and wrok with it in asia, im also a qualified teacher but in art so the i-to-i course allowed me to also teach english
    its a great experiance to travel and work abroad
    :)

Advertisement