Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burglary Reports [ALL POSTS HERE]

Options
  • 15-01-2013 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Just a quick heads up to keep your eye out for any strange activity around the area, were in Charlesland Wood and our poor next door neighbours were broken into late yesterday afternoon.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭audreyp

Can I ask whereabouts in Charlesland Wood? Along the back in front of the green? That is scary!! I will keep an eye out.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭JanneG

How did the break in happen? Did they come in through a door or a window? Is there an alarm on the house? Was the alarm on/triggered?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

JanneG wrote: »
    How did the break in happen? Did they come in through a door or a window? Is there an alarm on the house? Was the alarm on/triggered?
    im really nosey and try to keep an eye on any suspicious behaviour in charlesland..strange cars /weirdos etc..i did notice on tuesday (15) a blue transit van drive real slow driver leaning across the steering wheel checking out houses..now ...he was probably looking for a house numbr and may have been harmless but he could have been spotting too...its easy to get to know your neighbours cars so strange ones stand out more..lets all try be a little more aware and if you see anything odd make a mental or written note of it..this is our neighbourhood and we should all try and be a little proactive in looking after it..

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

On monday night the garda were driving slowly through the estate looking for someone. I saw someone run out of the treess in the central island. The thing is. There were so many people running around (as there is this time of year) he didn't necessarily look out of place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Hondaciv

Maudi wrote: »
    im really nosey and try to keep an eye on any suspicious behaviour in charlesland..strange cars /weirdos etc..i did notice on tuesday (15) a blue transit van drive real slow driver leaning across the steering wheel checking out houses..now ...he was probably looking for a house numbr and may have been harmless but he could have been spotting too...its easy to get to know your neighbours cars so strange ones stand out more..lets all try be a little more aware and if you see anything odd make a mental or written note of it..this is our neighbourhood and we should all try and be a little proactive in looking after it..

hi maudi,i saw this transit driving at very high speed out of charlesland on tuesday so fast i did not get a reg "did you"?i rang garda today as i saw ur post.if u have the reg please ring them.they must be caught.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭LifeBeginsAt40

I saw a blue van doing similar in Redford Park area yesterday lunchtime, again no number plate taken. Was smaller than a transit, more a midi-van size.

Same one?

Hondaciv wrote: »

hi maudi,i saw this transit driving at very high speed out of charlesland on tuesday so fast i did not get a reg "did you"?i rang garda today as i saw ur post.if u have the reg please ring them.they must be caught.
    no!!i thought twas odd..i dnt get the reg tho..any thing else on what they may have been speeding away from?

I saw a blue van doing similar in Redford Park area yesterday lunchtime, again no number plate taken. Was smaller than a transit, more a midi-van size.

Same one?
    yes ..transits are the bigger type..the one i spotted acting odd was more like a new renault traffic..blue .no markings.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭birdwatcher

FYI folks....2 more break-ins this evening...in Charlesland court this time....between 6-7pm...both Duplexes
    One after the other. Smashed the window in the front door of the first and then then, over the balcony and smashed the window of the patio door next door.

Please be vigilant.
    Report ANY suspicious activity to the Gardai.
    Without our help in reporting stuff, they have less leads to act on.

FYI folks....2 more break-ins this evening...in Charlesland court this time....between 6-7pm...both Duplexes
    One after the other. Smashed the window in the front door of the first and then then, over the balcony and smashed the window of the patio door next door.

Please be vigilant.
    Without our help in reporting stuff, they have less leads to act on.[/Quot
    skum..so they broke in the front doors and up the steps?? have those duplexs not got some door to close at the top of the stairs?.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭bido

As there is only one road into the estate a cctv camera system at the entrance would be a great help in getting reg. numbers.
    There is such a system going into the Eagle Valley estate in Enniskerry.

Or get Pixbyjohn to stand there with his camera;)

bido wrote: »
    As there is only one road into the estate a cctv camera system at the entrance would be a great help in getting reg. numbers.
    There is such a system going into the Eagle Valley estate in Enniskerry.

Or get Pixbyjohn to stand there with his camera;)
    good idea bido..or a guard and barrier at the entrance of each..wood/grove etc..asking for name/what business etc..lets see some id..i like it...

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭birdwatcher

Cost of cctv would be huge..and it really wouldn't help if the burglars were on foot.....especially if they were hooded up.
    If there was a webtext alert by the management company to alert people immediately about break-ins, that might make people more vigilant....albeit after the fact.....
    So you'd really want to have someone alert the management company straight after a break-in and get them to text all relevant residents.
    it's a bit more reactive than proactive, but it would start people paying attention to whats going on around them.
    There's too many people around Charlesland who just don't give a sh!t.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Seanie21

Seanie21 wrote: »
    They smashed through the top door with crowbar and knocked radiator of the wall in doing so presumably for leverage. They are obviously very brazen when they smash a front panel of a prominent front door in the daytime and they need to be caught soon or it will just keep happening unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭blueforce

Please be vigilant.
    Without our help in reporting stuff, they have less leads to act on.

Hi birdwatch,

I live in a duplex in the court, ill deffinitly be keeping an eye out. Any idea how they got out of the 2nd duplex when they were done, over the balcony or out the front door?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 tsukhija

Hi All!
    Just wanted to let you all know that our apartment was broken into last week :(
    Happened around 4pm in the evening (scary as this is nearly the time we return back from work). They cut the phone line to disable eircom phone watch which was turned on at that point (so eircom phone watch is really a sham as our phone boxes have such easy access). They entered through the back window- no glass breaking; they used a sharp tool to break the hinges to open to windows. Ransacked the place and didn't leave a single wardarobe/cabinet/drawer unopened. Found our safe and broke the wardarobe where it was installed. When they couldn't get the safe out, they broke the safe! They focussed on cash and jewellery- and boy! they clearly knew what they wanted from the lot of stuff available. Left the laptop, phones, cameras etc. as those wouldn't have been so profitable!!!
    Anyway, just wanted to let you all know to keep a close eye and to be extra vigilant. A session on safety being held by the Gardi on 23rd March in Royal hotel Bray may be worth a visit. http://www.garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=10853.

Tks!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

An Eircom installer told me about how easy the phone lines can be cut in estates like Charlesland. Something to consider is the sim card option for Phonewatch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    An Eircom installer told me about how easy the phone lines can be cut in estates like Charlesland. Something to consider is the sim card option for Phonewatch.

That's good advice. I have both systems so if they cut the line and think that's it there'll be a nasty surprise!

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Robertr

tsukhija wrote: »
    Hi All!
    Happened around 4pm in the evening (scary as this is nearly the time we return back from work). They cut the phone line to disable eircom phone watch which was turned on at that point (so eircom phone watch is really a sham as our phone boxes have such easy access). They entered through the back window- no glass breaking; they used a sharp tool to break the hinges to open to windows. Ransacked the place and didn't leave a single wardarobe/cabinet/drawer unopened. Found our safe and broke the wardarobe where it was installed. When they couldn't get the safe out, they broke the safe! They focussed on cash and jewellery- and boy! they clearly knew what they wanted from the lot of stuff available. Left the laptop, phones, cameras etc. as those wouldn't have been so profitable!!!
    Anyway, just wanted to let you all know to keep a close eye and to be extra vigilant. A session on safety being held by the Gardi on 23rd March in Royal hotel Bray may be worth a visit. http://www.garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=10853.

Tks!

Did that disable the alarm or just prevent Eircom from being notified?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Robertr wrote: »
    Did that disable the alarm or just prevent Eircom from being notified?

did the external alarm go off, & if so did anyone nearby pay any attention?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

loyatemu wrote: »
    did the external alarm go off, & if so did anyone nearby pay any attention?

Generally speaking Eircom PhoneWatch alarms do not have an exterior siren or bell. Instead these systems have a "Dummy Bell Box".

The security of the system relies entirely on the alarm communicating with the monitoring station :rolleyes:

This is explained on the Eircom PhoneWatch website.

A functioning bell box can be added to these systems, personally I think it is worth the extra few bob.

BTW I do not install alarms :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

pixbyjohn wrote: »

Its a much better option to secure the phone box and protect the line.
    GSM is more vulnerable with cheap jammers readily available.
    2011 wrote: »
    Generally speaking Eircom PhoneWatch alarms do not have an exterior siren or bell. Instead these systems have a "Dummy Bell Box".

The security of the system relies entirely on the alarm communicating with the monitoring station :rolleyes:

This is explained on the Eircom PhoneWatch website.

A functioning bell box can be added to these systems, personally I think it is worth the extra few bob.

Good advice. An external bell is a must. Without this a burglar can easily enter a house disable the phone line & internal bell & there is no indication at all the the alarm has activated. Eircom leave this out as an incentive against cancelling your monitoring. Thats where the money is for these cheap, low priced systems they are selling.

Hi All!

Tks!
    so is this an "expo" with stalls and hawkers selling security stuff?door chains. house alarms etc.?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

so is this an "expo" with stalls and hawkers selling security stuff?door chains. house alarms etc.?

It would seem that this event is endorsed by the Gardai, so I would expect the advice to be more impartial than the average "expo".

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Info taken from facebook
    Hi folks just want to let people in the charlesland area know that yesterday a friend of mine was driving in the charlesland court area & there was a brick in the middle of road, she got out of her car to remove so it wouldn't cause damage and in the space of twenty seconds her bag was robbed from her car! Please be vigilant....

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 11,704 ✭✭✭✭altor

Hi All!

Tks!

It is unbelievable how easy it is to access the phone cable in charlesland and all other new estates. Without this line to the monitoring station no one will know your line is down until a test call is made from the system, this is usually once in 24 hours.
    What I would suggest is putting the cable in the back of the box and leave a dummy cable in this box. Another option would be to tamper the box itself through the alarm system, that way if it is tampered with the alarm will know about it.
    A mixture of option 1 and 2 should solve the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 tsukhija

Well we didn't have an alarm outside but we've gone for the Phone+GSM route now. Hope this will make us a bit more secure!

Also just to add- we've been told that Eircom do a test call to check the phone line every 4-7 days!!! I would have thought that 4 mins was too much. We couldn't find this on their T&C's or on their website.

Anyway, have a happy Easter!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Weekly test calls are ridiculous. 24 hours is the norm.

Advertisement