Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leg Tattoo in Dublin

• 15-01-2013 11:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭

Howdy all, was hoping to get my leg tattooed, something like this, but I'm kinda new to the game, and don't really know any artists. So, I was hoping if anyone could point me in the direction of someone who could do this well? Living in North Wicklow, so anywhere in Dublin is grand really. Also, I'm a student, so I can't really do the spenso places
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Chikablam wrote: »
    Howdy all, was hoping to get my leg tattooed, something like this, but I'm kinda new to the game, and don't really know any artists. So, I was hoping if anyone could point me in the direction of someone who could do this well? Living in North Wicklow, so anywhere in Dublin is grand really. Also, I'm a student, so I can't really do the spenso places
    Cheers

Calvin and Hobbes <3

TBH the first thing you need to sort is the price. You can't say that you shouldn't go to an expensive place because you are going to have this for the rest of your life and you need it to the best that you can, even if it means saving for an extra year or longer.

For that pic, I'd say Darren or Rob in Colourworks would be your best bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Agreed with Rob in Colourworks.

Tbh if money is an issue, wait. Good tattoos don't come cheap and cheap tattoos aren't good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

LyndaMcL wrote: »
    Good tattoos don't come cheap and cheap tattoos aren't good.

This! ^^^^^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭hunter164

I can vouch for Rob too, he's a serious artist and this would be right up his street.
    Also second what everyone else is saying about price, you have to look at that tattoo for the rest of your days at least make it look good :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭Chikablam

By expensive places, I mean like a grand. Would anyone be able to give a ballpark on how much something like that would cost?
    I've about 200 saved up at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,347 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Agree with the three above. You won't always be a student, and what seems expensive now will seem reasonable (or even cheap. Best of luck after college! ;)) in years to come. A cheap piece won't improve with age in the same way your bank account will.

By expensive places, I mean like a grand. Would anyone be able to give a ballpark on how much something like that would cost?

We really couldn't come close to a ballpark figure, as we're not artists. You're looking at around 100 an hour, although most places will do a set price for a large piece, which works out cheaper. 200 won't cut it, though. Honestly, wait, save up some more money and get it done when you can afford some great work.

200 is a good start. To do get the detail into that picture, I'd say you'd be looking at 3-400.

Don't suppose anyone could give me ballpark figure?
    200? 500? 1000?

Don't suppose anyone could give me ballpark figure?
    200? 500? 1000?

• Advertisement

This may seem like a cheeky answer, but its not.... :D

An artist would give a ballpark figure. Asking is cheap. Busfare and a chat. Or free, if yer of a walkin' persuasion!

'We don't get many of a walkin' persuasion round these here parts pilgrim....'

Where's the John Wayne emoticon at?!?

Quick edit..... I remember being a full-time student. Part-time these days! E200 would have taken ages to scrape together. It doesn't now. I'm not loaded or anything, but once you're out and working, the balance won't take too long to gather. Don't be compromising on the quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

No one here can really give you a certain price but more than likely be looking at 100 euro an hour.

From looking at the image you posted id imagine it will be quite a big piece with a lot of detail and color work takes longer to do aswell so could easily be looking at a grand but in the long run would be worth every penny instead of going to someone who will leave a mess on your leg which will serve as a constant reminder of what could have been.

No one here can really give you a certain price but more than likely be looking at 100 euro an hour.

From looking at the image you posted id imagine it will be quite a big piece with a lot of detail and color work takes longer to do aswell so could easily be looking at a grand but in the long run would be worth every penny instead of going to someone who will leave a mess on your leg which will serve as a constant reminder of what could have been.

Also bear in mind that if you get a 'cheap' tattoo that is rotten quality, you could easily spend thousands more getting it removed/faded/covered up.

Damn, sorry for those reposts, my internet's kinda stupid...

Damn, sorry for those reposts, my internet's kinda stupid...
    Everybody's internet is kind of stupid. That's what makes it so much fun!

:D

endacl wrote: »
    Everybody's internet is kind of stupid. That's what makes it so much fun!

:D

My internet is just cats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

I have a piece on my arm going from my wrist to my inner elbow, took two hours and cost €240 euro. Depending on how big that would be on your leg, say ankle to knee, and with the detail, I'd say your looking at about 400-500.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

Also, there's no rush into getting a tattoo, so take the time and save ;) The only real irritation is the wait, but sure then when you've got it, you're already planning the next.

So I'd suggest research your artist you want and start putting a bit aside each week. Even a fiver can add up pretty quickly - so long as you don't keep looking into the piggy bank :)

Henry the Hippo is helping me get the money together for my next piece, and I'm looking at a long waiting list too. It's worth it in the end when you've had the right artist do it for you. Price really shouldn't come into it per se, time allows you to accumulate the cost :)

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    I have a piece on my arm going from my wrist to my inner elbow, took two hours and cost €240 euro. Depending on how big that would be on your leg, say ankle to knee, and with the detail, I'd say your looking at about 400-500.

Im sorry but if he was to go to Rob Mulligan with that image say he wanted ankle to knee full colour and with the amount of detail involved in that piece there no way that would only cost 400-500.

Op best bet is to find an artist you like go in for a consultation discuss size placement etc and take it from there, but trust me when it comes to tattoos dont concern yourself with the price focus on getting the best tattoo you can first and foremost and if takes longer to get the money to do it it will be worth it in the long run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Im sorry but if he was to go to Rob Mulligan with that image say he wanted ankle to knee full colour and with the amount of detail involved in that piece there no way that would only cost 400-500.

Op best bet is to find an artist you like go in for a consultation discuss size placement etc and take it from there, but trust me when it comes to tattoos dont concern yourself with the price focus on getting the best tattoo you can first and foremost and if takes longer to get the money to do it it will be worth it in the long run.

Sorry, I dont know him, basing it on my own artist and the size of my own tatt :D Obviously agree on the price front, I had 400 saved for my tattoo, it just happened to be cheaper than i expected (but not tacky cheap). Going from what I paid, 100 an hour sounds about right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭feelpablo

LyndaMcL wrote: »
    Also bear in mind that if you get a 'cheap' tattoo that is rotten quality, you could easily spend thousands more getting it removed/faded/covered up.

^^^^^This......

I have spent almost a year getting a crappy tribal "design" i had done when i was younger lasered enough so Rob could cover it up....cost of lasering €720...cost of original tattoo?? (prob was around 500 punt) cost of new tattoo so far €600 and still tons more to do to get my sleeve finished.

I wish I had done my research, I wish I hadnt been a petulant young one and rushed to the first local artist that I knew feck all about...

You see it week in here, Take your time, do your research and saves your monies!!

Oh and Rob is fantastic, his work is just brilliant.

8216673784_be92657436.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭gregers85

endacl wrote: »
    This may seem like a cheeky answer, but its not.... :D

An artist would give a ballpark figure. Asking is cheap. Busfare and a chat. Or free, if yer of a walkin' persuasion!

'We don't get many of a walkin' persuasion round these here parts pilgrim....'

Where's the John Wayne emoticon at?!?

cowboy.gif

You're a pretty persuasive bunch, no doubt about it :)
    I'll probably pop into rob sometime soon then
    Oh, and cheers everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭bubblebery

Its a pretty basic design, that does not contain too much detail... its a bit simple to devote so much space especially if its your first tattoo. Scale it down and get it on your calf. It should not cost more that £400.

feelpablo wrote: »
    ^^^^^This......

I have spent almost a year getting a crappy tribal "design" i had done when i was younger lasered enough so Rob could cover it up....cost of lasering €720...cost of original tattoo?? (prob was around 500 punt) cost of new tattoo so far €600 and still tons more to do to get my sleeve finished.

I wish I had done my research, I wish I hadnt been a petulant young one and rushed to the first local artist that I knew feck all about...

You see it week in here, Take your time, do your research and saves your monies!!

Oh and Rob is fantastic, his work is just brilliant.

I second this I was in a rush to get a tattoo as soon as I hit 18 was on holiday got the first thing I saw without much thought a few years later after spending over 500 euro on laser removal and so far 900 on the cover up wish I had put some thought into it. Picking the right tattoo and the right artist is the main thing :), and with Rob Mulligan for a design like that you really cant go wrong.

Have a think about size , have a chat with Rob see what feels best for you, but dont be afraid no harm one bit in going large for your first tattoo if thats what you desire, I know a lot of people who wish they had of had the balls to go large on there first tattoo.

I should probably point out this'll be my second. Also the plan for the moment is for it to go on my calf, not sure how much of it yet though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

Lots of love for Rob on this thread, good to see it. He did both of my Tatts and is drawing up my sleeve right now. Top bloke and very talented.

The last pic aint me btw haha

They're pretty sweet, I'd say I'll most probably be going there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭hunter164

Serious love for Rob here chap has done 5 of mine :) can't big him up enough!

• Advertisement

Sure is a lot of love for him and well deserved, Im planning on getting him to do my next tattoo.

Advertisement