Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HDD transfer help

Options
  • 16-01-2013 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi,

Hopefully someone here can help me.

I recently bought a new 250GB HDD as my current 20GB one is almost full. I have the older style XBox's, not the slim version.However when I tried to do the transfer the system tells me that the 250GB has 31GB free. Obviously this can't be true. I did format it if that is important.

When I go to move the data the new device shows up in the settings as a Memory Unit rather than a Hard Drive. Is this significant? The new HD looks exactly the same but on closer inspection it doesn't have some Microsoft stickers and holograms that the existing one has.On the list of devices it lists the existing HD ( with Microsoft next to it's name) the cloud and then "memory unit".

I've googled and it appears that there are 3rd parties making HDD's, which Microsoft approval I assume. Have I been unlucky here, or have I been sold a pile of crap?

It only cost €60 from a company in American called www.tmart.com and at that price I was obviously suspicious but the company seems to be huge with the variety of items they sell so I assumed they could buy and sell cheap so I went for it.

I don't want to risk it as I don't want to lose my existing games etc. Does anyone who knows more than me know if the missing GB's will show up when I transfer the data? (I'm being stupid there aren't I :o )

If not can someone recommend somewhere to get proper Microsoft official memory units? 125 or 250GB would be prefered.

Thanks for any info and help.

Microsofts own xbox site was very poor in terms of the info provided. Plenty of info about transfering to new XBox's but nothing about new HDD for your existing one. Unles they are the same thing but if so they don't make it clear at all.

Comments

Advertisement