Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did your lawn grow over the winter?

• 16-01-2013 1:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,751 ✭✭✭✭

Just looking at my gardens the last few weeks and I am sure there has been growth in them since I did my last cut at the end of the autumn.

Its probably the mild winter we have been having so far, or am I imagining it? Anyone else's growing?

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 56 ✭✭TheGolfer01

NIMAN wrote: »
    Just looking at my gardens the last few weeks and I am sure there has been growth in them since I did my last cut at the end of the autumn.

Its probably the mild winter we have been having so far, or am I imagining it? Anyone else's growing?
    Yes there is still growth there, although sporadic, also it's not unusually for Ireland(in particular the SW) to have growth for 12 months of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,751 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

When is it ok to start cutting grass again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

I'd leave it till early March and wait till the ground is reasonably dry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,658 ✭✭✭✭looksee

For all sorts of reasons my lawn had been neglected for a while and I had to cut it just before Christmas as it was getting like a meadow. I had to do it twice, once to hack it down and once to make it tidy. Its growing again fine, too wet to cut but not too shaggy. The grass here, as someone else said, rarely stops growing completely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭rje66

Grass will grow when ground temp is above 5 deg.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 56 ✭✭TheGolfer01

NIMAN wrote: »
    When is it ok to start cutting grass again?
    You can cut it now no problems, but don't cut it too short, just give it a light trim to take the uneven look away.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

rje66 wrote: »
    Grass will grow when ground temp is above 5 deg.

6 :pac:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

The grass has been growing all winter here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭rje66

MidlandsM wrote: »
    6 :pac:

oops.... knew it was there or there abouts.

lets not split degrees over this;););)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

ahh yer grand......

it has been a mild winter all in all, bit my grass has'nt grown really at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,751 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

You can cut it now no problems, but don't cut it too short, just give it a light trim to take the uneven look away.

I'd rather not take the ride-on on to my grass at the minute, I'd say its much too wet for that.

Might wait it out for another while, hate cutting very wet grass on wet ground, too messy.

Advertisement