Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moving in together.

• 16-01-2013 1:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭

Myself and my girlfriend want to rent a house together, im 23 employed full time earning €1600pm after tax, she is 21 claiming job seekers what way would her js be affected if we rented a house together help appreciated :)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

heffoo wrote: »
    Myself and my girlfriend want to rent a house together, im 23 employed full time earning €1600pm after tax, she is 21 claiming job seekers what way would her js be affected if we rented a house together help appreciated :)

I imagine its not affected at all. I doubt she would be granted anything in the rent allowance scheme though. Other than that, it's no problem what so ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭heffoo

gstack166 wrote: »

I imagine its not affected at all. I doubt she would be granted anything in the rent allowance scheme though. Other than that, it's no problem what so ever.
    We were just worried that she might of been means tested against my wages and cut off, thanks for the quick reply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

She could be classified as your dependent and have her payment stopped.
    The term 'cohabitant' is defined in the social welfare code in accordance with Section 172 (1) of the Civil Partnership and Certain Rights and Obligations of Cohabitants Act, 2010

"For the purposes of this Part, a cohabitant is one of 2 adults (whether of the same or the opposite sex) who live together as a couple in an intimate and committed relationship and who are not related to each other within the prohibited degrees of relationship or married to each other or civil partners of each other."

If you are assessed as being a member of a cohabiting couple your Social Welfare payment may be affected.

Your payment could be suspended pending further investigation
    Your payment/claim could be stopped/refused
    The Department of Social Protection could assess an overpayment against you and seek repayment of any monies they believe were paid to you incorrectly while you were cohabiting.
    http://www.inou.ie/workingforwork/1/what-is-cohabitation/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

We were just worried that she might of been means tested against my wages and cut off, thanks for the quick reply.

Not at all, shur you're only her boyfriend, not her husband. The social welfare will only need to be informed of the change of address for postage etc. that's all. All that can be done over the phone. She'll only be means tested if she is looking for rent allowance which at 21 & currently living at the home house with parents, she has absolutely zero chance of getting rent supplement allowance telling the social she's moving out of the family home with no job to live with her boyfriend. Other than that, they won't care.

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    She could be classified as your dependent and have her payment stopped.

http://www.inou.ie/workingforwork/1/what-is-cohabitation/
    Were not living together yet as we wanted to see what way it would affect her payment first, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Heffoo -

It depends what payment she's on. If she's in receipt of Jobseeker's Benefit (Stamps) then her payment won't be affected. If its Jobseeker's Allowance (Dole) she's on, then Welfare will require recent payslips for you and her JA will be affected, but she will most likely still qualify for some amount.

Not at all, shur you're only her boyfriend, not her husband. The social welfare will only need to be informed of the change of address for postage etc. that's all. All that can be done over the phone. She'll only be means tested if she is looking for rent allowance which at 21 & currently living at the home house with parents, she has absolutely zero chance of getting rent supplement allowance telling the social she's moving out of the family home with no job to live with her boyfriend. Other than that, they won't care.
    No she wouldnt be looking for rent allowence(if only ha)

deccurley wrote: »
    Heffoo -

It depends what payment she's on. If she's in receipt of Jobseeker's Benefit (Stamps) then her payment won't be affected. If its Jobseeker's Allowance (Dole) she's on, then Welfare will require recent payslips for you and her JA will be affected, but she will most likely still qualify for some amount.
    Yep its the dole, payslips wouldnt be a problem, they could hardly dock her the full amount €100 i mean im only on €1500+ the odd 100bonus a month which in reality wouldnt support 2ppl a month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Yep its the dole, payslips wouldnt be a problem, they could hardly dock her the full amount €100 i mean im only on €1500+ the odd 100bonus a month which in reality wouldnt support 2ppl a month.

You're allowed a weekly 60 euro disregard against your income and they assess the remainder at 60%.

At any rate, you'll need to call in to the office and fill out a form and also bring the payslips and a proof of address (rent agreement or utility bill) and they'll let you know what the story is in due course.

deccurley wrote: »

You're allowed a weekly 60 euro disregard against your income and they assess the remainder at 60%.

At any rate, you'll need to call in to the office and fill out a form and also bring the payslips and a proof of address (rent agreement or utility bill) and they'll let you know what the story is in due course.
    Thanks very much :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 643 ✭✭✭maryk123

This is such incorrect information. Job seekers allowance is means tested if you are living with someone, her weekly payment maybe reduced based on her boyfriends income. Look up welfare.ie. I can't do links sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,565 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

disregard all the above.
    If she moves in with you ,ye will be classed as a couple (co-hab) depending on what type of jobseekers she is on the payment might be affected(Benefit or Allowance).Best for her to call into the local social welfare office and discuss it with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

So you have no problem advising the OP to defraud the State:rolleyes:

Thanks for the replys guys shes on the dole and we found out she would lose her €100 a week if we move in even though i earn€ 400 a week after tax theres no way we could manage after paying rent and other bills.

Advertisement