Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

strong gun safe?

Options
  • 16-01-2013 2:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭

what would be a good strong gun safe for around €500.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Cavan duck buster

warehouse1 wrote: »
    what would be a good strong gun safe for around €500.

You cant go wrong with a buffalo river safe. I got mine for €180 from sportsden.ie and they offer free shipping over €100 + 1-2 divelery

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

It depends on how much your firearms are worth and how serious you are about your security. I have spent alot more on my security then i have my firearms. I don't understand lads buying firearms worth several thousand euros and then storing them in tin cans. I feel safe in knowing that in the unlikely event someone dose get into my safes and past my other security measures i will have no problem getting a licence again. I would say spend as much as you can it's an investment.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Spannerman7

If you going to spend then get a good one, with more than 2-3mm plate, people see a big bulk behind the door and assume that it offers protection, that bulk is only a place to hide the lock mechanism, the door itself is still only a few mm. Between 6-10mm solid high grade steel or a laminate containing a sheet of stainless. Oxy-fuel cant cut stainless. If the plate it's made from is of sufficient thickness the even if by some chance they manage to pry it off a wall and floor, two men could not lift it, otherwise it's just a cabinet with a lock, not a safe. If you could stretch to €800-€1000 you would be going in the right direction and you'll have it and your firearms for life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Most of us have gun lockers, not safes. A pry bar and 10 mins will open most of them. I've never seen quality safes for sale in this country but I imagine they wouldn't be cheap. ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭warehouse1

Is there any names ye would recommend because the only safes i can find for sale are made out of 2mm steel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

Thinking of upgrading myself, some nice ones here

http://www.mustangsafes.ie/gun-safes/

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭zeissman

My mate bought a great safe recently from www.mccloyguns.com
    Its a proper safe and really heavy.
    When you get to this quality of safe the price rises sharply.
    It cost him about 800 sterling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Rosahane

There is a very good selection of safes in Hilltop including one that is fire rated ...although I reckon you would need to take the roof off the house and hire a crane if you want to get it upstairs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Is the aim of the gun safe to act as a deterrant to getting at your firearms rather than a 'Bank of Ireland your not getting in' safe???

Thieves have gotten into far better safes than you or I have for storing our firearms.

A safe is only as good as the person holding the key
    THINK ABOUT THAT

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Remember that the actual location of your gun-safe can help to make it more secure. Apart from placing it where it cannot be seen from outside the house, remember to site it where the hinge-side can be positioned right up to a wall. This prevents attacking the hinges, or makes them much less vulnerable to any kind of a lever/crowbar.

Every gun-safe that is for sale in the UK has been tested and assessed and given the BSI and Security Products Standards mark of approval - else we could not buy it under the Sale of Goods and Fitness for Purpose Acts.

So if you buy anything in the RoI that is also sold here, you should be fine.

tac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

clivej wrote: »
    Is the aim of the gun safe to act as a deterrant to getting at your firearms rather than a 'Bank of Ireland your not getting in' safe???
    Yes, but it has to be an effective deterrent to the opportunistic lad who's just looking to rip it off the wall (possibly using your tools that they saw on the way through the house from the broken window in the garage).

(If they're the sort of mob who show up with their own power tools, we're in a whole other kind of unhappy place, and yeah, at that point an uncrackable safe becomes a liability)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭warehouse1

sound lads there's some nice safes on those sites.
    clivej wrote: »
    Is the aim of the gun safe to act as a deterrant

I understand what you mean but i'd rather have a safe that takes someone 30 minutes to get into rather than 2. as sparks said its just to deter the opportunistic buglar and if they see a good strong gun safe compared to a weak one they most likely wouldn't bother there time trying to get in to it as all they want to do is get in and out as fast as they can.

Advertisement