Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenants rights?

Options
  • 16-01-2013 2:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭

my younger sister has just moved into different accomodation in dublin in 2 bed house sharing with another girl. Turns out the landlords daughter crashes there on occasions.2-4 nights a week (so its a 3bed)tho not mentioned when she inspected or anything . She says she has taken over the lease from previous person...with nothing signed.....she did the same to the last place she lived in..new tenant just took over her room with bond +rent.....
    what are her rights here as a tenant? not sure if this landlords daughter pays bills..shes supposidly using washing machine and makes herself feel very much at home even though she arrives unannounced!!!!
    there isnt much of a problem really if landlords daugher pays for bills but i dont want to see her being done wrongly either....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

my younger sister has just moved into different accomodation in dublin in 2 bed house sharing with another girl. Turns out the landlords daughter crashes there on occasions.2-4 nights a week (so its a 3bed)tho not mentioned when she inspected or anything . She says she has taken over the lease from previous person...with nothing signed.....she did the same to the last place she lived in..new tenant just took over her room with bond +rent.....
    what are her rights here as a tenant? not sure if this landlords daughter pays bills..shes supposidly using washing machine and makes herself feel very much at home even though she arrives unannounced!!!!
    there isnt much of a problem really if landlords daugher pays for bills but i dont want to see her being done wrongly either....
    I don't see a problem as long as the daughter pays her way with utilities and bills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

I don't see a problem as long as the daughter pays her way with utilities and bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Sadderday

i'm no expert but if a landlord is planning on dropping in they have to give notice, if a landlord instructs his/her daughter to drop in, there should be notice and if there is a third person living in your rented accomodation 2-3 nights a week you should probably be aware of whether or not they are actually a tenant.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Depending on how often the daughter stays there and what her status on the tenancy is it might in fact entirely change the nature of the tenancy. If she is deemed to be an occupant of the tenancy then the other tenants are in fact deemed to be living with an owner occupier (which can be the landlord or an immediate family member; spouse, child or parent), and as such they are licensees and do not have rights covered by the tenancy act. Licensees have almost no rights or legal protection in the tenancy.

Your sister needs to clarify the situation with her landlord to see exactly where she stands. If she is supposedly renting the property as a single tenancy then she really needs to get a lease signed, which means that there can be no more coming and going unannounced from the landlords daughter. If the landlord sees the daughter as a resident of the property then this needs to be clarified so that your sister can make an informed choice as to whether or not she wishes to continue renting as a licensee or if she would prefer to move to a tenancy that affords her more legal protection and rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

If it's a 2 bed and there are already 2 people where does the landlords daughter sleep?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭goodgolfer64

matrim wrote: »
    If it's a 2 bed and there are already 2 people where does the landlords daughter sleep?

Appreciate the help folks....it was advertised as living with 1 other person.....then when she moved in....the landlords daughter arrived 4 days later and stayed for 2 nights.......its a peculiar set up alright!!!

Advertisement