Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HEA Does not Support WIT and Carlow IT bid for Technological University

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

(Puts on tinfoil hat...)

I wonder if the university bid is stalled at present because Hogan and Howlin will only support it as long as half of WIT is removed from Waterford and moved to Kilkenny and Wexford.

This would create a problem of more bloody campuses dotted around the country, which I'm sure the HEA is not in favour of, given how they're looking for consolidation.

Maybe the HEA is leaving this one in a holding pattern until the two boys retire, and the Cabinet has a more benign attitude to Waterford?

</tinfoil hat>

:D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

fricatus wrote: »
    (Puts on tinfoil hat...)

The hat actually helps the signal
    http://slashdot.org/story/05/11/10/1839224/aluminum-foil-hats-will-not-stop-them
    I wonder if the university bid is stalled at present because Hogan and Howlin will only support it as long as half of WIT is removed from Waterford and moved to Kilkenny and Wexford.

So you think although Kilkenny already has a Maynooth campus that it'll also get half of WIT's? Certainly does seem somewhat paranoid.

Off hand I don't know of any suitable place in Kilkenny for another campus so to do what you're suggesting would involve significant investment

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Swinng

Then in yesterdays papers we have the total opposite:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0117/1224310362772.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

Personally I would rather leave things as they are than go ahead with this university of the south east bull. It has Hogan’s and Howlin’s hands all over it and it is certainly not paranoid to think that, frankly I find it ridiculous saying it is paranoid. The University of the South East is the usual second best offering we get from the Irish state which will only result in things being moved out of Waterford and nothing new actually being put in. The other regions have universities based on one site that can operate properly that is what we should have. WIT is the only viable option for a university in the south east and it should be upgraded now, I am so sick of the crap we get in Waterford for just wanting what the rest of the country has.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Cabaal wrote: »

Aaagh, I've been helping them all along! :eek:

So you think although Kilkenny already has a Maynooth campus that it'll also get half of WIT's? Certainly does seem somewhat paranoid.

Well I was being a bit tongue-in-cheek, but I don't think I would be too far off the mark suggesting that if Phil Hogan was Supreme Dictator, it would happen.

Off hand I don't know of any suitable place in Kilkenny for another campus so to do what you're suggesting would involve significant investment

TBH, I'm sure that would be the least of Big Phil's worries if he were to get his way.

Swinng wrote: »
    Then in yesterdays papers we have the total opposite:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0117/1224310362772.html

That article is a year old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

I heard Tom Boland (CEO of the HEA) on radio this morning and he clarified that the report actually supports the joint proposal from Carlow and Waterford IT's for a Technological University in the South East so I guess it's a little bit of scaremongering !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Nothing to see here, move along.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

BBM77 wrote: »
    Personally I would rather leave things as they are than go ahead with this university of the south east bull. It has Hogan’s and Howlin’s hands all over it and it is certainly not paranoid to think that, frankly I find it ridiculous saying it is paranoid. The University of the South East is the usual second best offering we get from the Irish state which will only result in things being moved out of Waterford and nothing new actually being put in. The other regions have universities based on one site that can operate properly that is what we should have. WIT is the only viable option for a university in the south east and it should be upgraded now, I am so sick of the crap we get in Waterford for just wanting what the rest of the country has.
    Yeah I hear ya. For the last decade Waterford has campaigned for university status for WIT, now the best we can hope for is a technological university (not even proper full status uni like UCD, UCC etc) to be shared with IT Carlow, and possibly campuses in KK & Wexford. As well as this, other ITs will also merge to get the same technological university status, thereby diluting the TU status for WIT/ITC. Waterford and the South East will remain in the second tier of third level education.

Here's what Deasy had to say on WLR today:
    http://www.wlrfm.com/news-and-sport/waterford-news/172077.html

And here is a link to the HEA report:
    http://hea.ie/en/node/1497

Advertisement