Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can a router (wireless) provide two security keys?

Options
  • 16-01-2013 9:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭

Would love to be able to switch off wireless at a certain time to stop kids being online after hours.....

Hence wondering if a separate security key can be used for different devices?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

mumof2 wrote: »
    Would love to be able to switch off wireless at a certain time to stop kids being online after hours.....

Hence wondering if a separate security key can be used for different devices?
    It really depends on the device. What router do you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

As above, some routers can have 2 accounts, Normal and guest and you can restrict the hours for each day for the guest accounts. they will logon with a different password.

But it really depends on the router.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭mumof2

Have the Eircom ZyXEL model

Have the Eircom ZyXEL model

Then no the Eircom ZyXel models are extremely basic.
    Why not find out what your son's MAC address and then deny that access to the network manually yourself at certain times?

Achilles wrote: »
    Then no the Eircom ZyXel models are extremely basic.
    Why not find out what your son's MAC address and then deny that access to the network manually yourself at certain times?

Thanks, thats a good tip, except its for my older daughter, who uses the iPod for internet access. So not sure if that has an ip address that can be disabled...:confused:

(didn't realise that could be done btw.....:o)

• Advertisement

Thanks, thats a good tip, except its for my older daughter, who uses the iPod for internet access. So not sure if that has an ip address that can be disabled...:confused:

Every device with a network adapter will have an associated hardware MAC address.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

go to settings --->about ---> and then the wifi address is the mac address

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

One of many ways of doing it :

(If its Eircom Zyxel modem)

Some of the Zyxels can turn the wireless on and off on a daily schedule - see attached picture

To check if yours is the same go to:

http://192.168.1.254 password = broadband1

and follow the 1 - 2 - 3 in the attached picture.

You could then have it turn its wireless on and off on schedule.

So that you will have wireless internet access all time, go and pick up something like this :

http://www.adverts.ie/routers-and-modems/d-link-ap-2100/2119792

plug it into the Zyxel
    only allow your own laptop/ipad etc to connect to it

gctest50 wrote: »
    One of many ways of doing it :

(If its Eircom Zyxel modem)

Some of the Zyxels can turn the wireless on and off on a daily schedule - see attached picture

To check if yours is the same go to:

http://192.168.1.254 password = broadband1

and follow the 1 - 2 - 3 in the attached picture.

You could then have it turn its wireless on and off on schedule.

So that you will have wireless internet access all time, go and pick up something like this :

http://www.adverts.ie/routers-and-modems/d-link-ap-2100/2119792

plug it into the Zyxel
    only allow your own laptop/ipad etc to connect to it

Thanks so much for your help:D

Can I plug in a second one of these? Buffalo Wireless G ADSL2 Broadband Modem Router or a Netear N150 Wireless Router? If so, is it just a question of changing the wifi security key on my own gadgets, to keep receiving, and turning off the current Eircom Wifi Box, to stop kids stuff working late?

The Netgear needs a password which I dont have anymore, and I tried the numbers at the bottom of the modem already... but are available (sitting in the press) as they were used in previous houses.

Can I plug in a second one of these? Buffalo Wireless G ADSL2 Broadband Modem Router or a Netear N150 Wireless Router?

Most of them will work fine, you just need change one thing.
    ..... and turning off the current Eircom Wifi Box, to stop kids stuff working late?

Even better ! you can set the Eircom Wifi Box to turn its wireless on and off by itself - and have it on at different times at the weekend.

This won't affect you as you will be connected to the "new" box you found in the press
    The Netgear needs a password which I dont have anymore.

To log in to it:

turn off the wireless on your laptop
    connect your laptop to the netgear with a data cable
    give it a minute or two to get sorted out with an address

Try to go to http://www.routerlogin.com

user = admin
    password = password

If you nose around under

"Wireless Setttings" you should see the password you need

*Important* You will need to do two more things before you unplug your laptop from it

1. Find where it says "DHCP" - set this to disabled

2. Change its IP address
    - you will see 192.168.1.1 somewhere - change this to 192.168.1.253
    -click apply

Unplug your laptop from it, then hook it up like in my wobbly picture.

• Advertisement

@ gctest50,

THANK YOU!!!!

Must get around to set it all up now, im not luxurious on time lately:o

Appreciate your help:pac::pac::pac:

Just one thing: why do this? (prefer to know why I do things than blindly do them and suffer any possible consequences after)

2. Change its IP address
    -click apply

Thanks again....

Just one thing: why do this? (prefer to know why I do things than blindly do them and suffer any possible consequences after)

To save you putting the settings in by hand, those wireless routers have a DHCP server.
    When you connect up to the wireless, your laptop will ask the DHCP server part of the router for settings.

The Zyxel is plugged into the phoneline/internet so it will be giving out the correct information so :

- the new box you have dug out of the press won't give out the correct since its plugged into the zyxel, it doesn't expect this - so it willl be giving out false connection settings.

- no need to have two boxes giving out connection info in your setup
    2. Change its IP address
    -click apply

The new box you got from the press will be sitting on 192.168.1.1

The Zyxel will be giving out addresses from 192.168.1.1 all the way up to 192.168.1.200

There is a chance the Zyxel would give your laptop the address 192.168.1.1 to use.

Since this is the same address as your shiny new box from the press, it won't work.
    You will get an error message like in attached pic

EDIT--> SOLVED (fixed this issue myself, changed the password, kids now connected to a different router to mine)

"To log in to it:

turn off the wireless on your laptop
    connect your laptop to the netgear with a data cable
    give it a minute or two to get sorted out with an address

Try to go to http://www.routerlogin.com"

Reason being is, that when I do the above I have no internet to log into routerlogin.com

Am I missing something? Im currently using my newest broadband provider - the modem they gave me. Trying to set up the Netgear one at the same time to connect the kids to, so that my own will be connected permanently, but theirs can be switched off at night.

Connecting two routers together does require a bit of prior knowledge of networking devices. Both devices are probably using the SAME IP pool and running two different DHCP servers which could be causing you not to get to the Internet.

You will also need to connect your new ISP router to one of the switch ports of your old router and not the WAN port.

Best way to do it is to completely disconnect the second router from everything apart from your laptop with a cable... log in and turn bridging mode on (if there is one).

If not then turn off DHCP and make sure to set the router's IP address to something like 10.0.0.1 so that it's in a completely different range to your new ISP router. That could solve it. Alternatively you could call your ISP for advice with a setup like this but I doubt they'd be willing to assist you as it's not their equipment.

Can you not just take the PCs / laptops off your kids when you don't want them online no?

Advertisement