Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancelling VHI policy

Options
  • 16-01-2013 9:42am
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 29

Hi

I have been with VHI since January 2010. In November just gone I switched to AVIVA as it was being offered for free by my employer. (no brainer) I cancelled my direct debit and sent VHI a letter to cancel my policy.

They compeltely ignored the cancellation letter. Instead they are sending me letters insisting I continue my monthly payments and they are even outlining my renewal plan for 2013. (my contract would have been up for renewal this month anyway).

So basically they want the final 2 monthly payments + a €50 admin fee off me now.

My question is, am I tied into these new terms and conditions? The only time I spoke to someone at VHI was when I rang up to take the policy out in 2010. I gave my details over the phone and agreed to everything. The policy has renewed automatically ever since.

I think under the original policy I might've been able to leave mid term or at least there wasn't this cancellation fee. Can VHI really hold me under the new terms and conditions even though I never agreed to them? Or does just letting the policy renew automatically constitute agreement to new terms?

Thanks

da_shee

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

Double check with VHI but as far as I know if you cancel mid year*, they will look for payment for entire year.

I'm with VHI - the policy year runs from March to March so if I want to cancel it has to at VHI year end, i.e. March.

* VHI year, not necessarily calendar year.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭caitrionaanne

Why dont ya just ring them sure!! If they didnt get the letter, they aint gonna know why ya stopped paying. If that happened with any company they would do the same!! They do charge a fee to cancel mid year ( in t&c's) but im sure since ur new one is free they cant really expect ya to pay for another one as well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

By continuing the policy you automatically agreed to the t&c.
    they will charge you for the balance of the year and are entitled to do it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

If it was a 1 year contract then they can insist you pay the premiums for the year.
    You do have 14 days grace after taking out/renewing a contract to cancel it
    at any time.
    Ring them and tell them you have moved job and the job insurance is with Aviva, they may do something for you but only being with them for 2 and a bit years won't help your case.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 29 da_shee

Thanks for responses, spoke with someone on the phone yesterday. (eventually!!!!)

Turns out that prior to each renewal I am posted out updated terms and conditions for the next policy. They acknowledged my letter intending to cancel and are just looking for the last two monthly payments at this point. No further mention of the €50 penalty.

• Advertisement
Advertisement