Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WEST COAST ROAD TRIP

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Bannerman7

Flying into Vegas July 9th .
    Staying in the Aria , checking out July 13th.

Flying to San Fran on 13th
    Staying in the Pickwick , checking out July 16th.

Renting a car on the 16th.

Driving to Monterey 16th .
    Staying in Stagecoach lodge , checking out July 18th .

Check out http://www.montereybayaquarium.org/ and
    http://www.pebblebeach.com/activities/explore-the-monterey-peninsula/17-mile-drive

Hitting Santa Barbara on July 18th , staying in best western peppertree, checking out 20th .

When going thru Malibu try and stop at Paradise Cove for Lunch. http://www.paradisecovemalibu.com/

After you go thru Malibu traffic will start to build up. If you have time for a pit stop check out Santa Monica.

Arriving in Los Angeles July 20th , staying in the marriott in Anaheim . checking out July 23rd .
    will have the rental car up until departing at lax on the return flight home.

If anyone has essential tours , experiences , shows etc can you copy my post and paste in between the dates what ye might recommend at the locations .

Never been to the West coast so will certainly appreciate the advice given .

Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I'd be tempted to hire a car for one of those days in SF. The surrounding areas are well worth seeing and you'll have enough time.

Looks good. A long time in Monterey. You can do pebble beach, 17 mile drive and the Aquarium in one day. Go to the town of Carmel too. Its really beautiful.

I'd be seriously tempted to scratch one of those days and add it to LA if you can.

In July you will be subject to fog. It can be thickest in the morning. Monterey is famous for it, even more so that SF. If it seems cloudy before you start the drive down the coast, put it off for a few hours if you can. It does get better as the day progresses.

Santa Monica is in LA, but Anaheim is good for Disneyland. You'll certainly fill the two days there.

You'll have a great time.

Its really just luck of the draw it seems?

It sounds Perfect. The winter can really be the prettiest time along the coast when there's regular rain and its green and fertile.

If it rained then it was regular Rain Clouds rather than the Coastal Fog.

The Coast fog is worse in the Summer and happens when the extreme heat of inland sucks in cool air from the ocean which then forms fog. It (usually!) dissolves away as the day goes, although different areas can have their own patterns.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Supraman

Heading off tuesday !! Anybody else have advice before we embark on this adventure ?

Have an Amazing time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

Supraman wrote: »
    Heading off tuesday !! Anybody else have advice before we embark on this adventure ?

Report back on trip, I am making similar trip in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Doing a very similar trip to most posters here in August.
    From San Fran we rent a car onto Monterey where we stay 1 night.
    then drive to Santa Barbara for one night.
    We're not keen on LA so we're driving from Santa B to San Diego.

Any recommended stop offs on this route? Is Malibu close to the main interstates/highways from Santa B?
    Wouldn't mind doing a bit of the trek along the coast then hit the interstates.

thnxs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

I'm also doing a similar trip in a few months. I've decided to break up SF > LA with a night somewhere, mainly due to wanting to make a few stops like Monterrey Aquarium, 17 Mile Drive, Hearst Castle, Vandenburg.

Provisional itinerary
    DUB > LHR > SFO
    Night #
    1 SF
    2 Somewhere along 1 possibly San Luis Obispo
    3,4,5 LA (might drop 1 for extra day in SF depends on acquaintance in LA)
    6,7,8 LV
    9,10 Yosemite
    11,12,13,14 SF
    15 SFO > LHR > DUB

Thoughts, previous experiences????

Dubliner28 wrote: »
    We're not keen on LA so we're driving from Santa B to San Diego.

How do you know you're not keen on LA?

Its the second largest city in the United States. Its one of the major cities in the world.

:confused:

Santa b is a retirement home and SD is a naval base. Just sayin'

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Supraman

In vegas since tuesday . Having a ball . Had enough now though ..onto san fran in the morn . Staying in the aria hotel . Very modern . Very clean . Great staff . Place is huge . We've not eaten here so cannot comment on that aspect . Great location .

Done the grand canyon trip today by helicopter , fantastic experience . Bus route would be ridiculous long imo despite saving a few quid .

Went to both outlets for a bit of shopping .. To be honest I wouldn't be super excited about either . Fashion show mall about halfway up the strip is a much better fix of you're looking for that .

Went to peepshow last night for the laugh .. was fine to see a few boobs that was it . Went to cirque de soleil production zarkana tonight in the aria . Tickets discounted in aria box office to 70 . Think they were 99 . Amazing show . Action packed with some light humor also sprinkled in .

Those of you into clubs avoid haze like the plague . $8 for water ... very pretentious , lasted 10 mins and straight to bed then lol.

Bring on San Fran in morn .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Bannerman7

Thanks for the update.:)
    If you get time to visit a Irish bar with Irish staff in San Francisco then I recomend
    http://www.johnnyfoleys.com/ just off Union Sq.

Enjoy & safe driving

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Stojkovic

Full report on San Fran please.
    Apart from the usual stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭kirb42

Bannerman7 wrote: »
    Thanks ror the update.:)
    If you get time to visit a Irish bar with Irish staff in San Francisco then I recomend
    http://www.johnnyfoleys.com/ just off Union Sq.

Enjoy & safe driving

2nd That... You won't go wrong here...There food is also excellent, there's also regular live music acts, Lucky You....

Advertisement