Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free or cheap car park recommendations on Clare side of Limerick City

• 16-01-2013 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hi all,

My workplace is being moved to limerick city in the next couple of weeks and unfortunately no car parking is provided by the employer.
    Can anyone recommend somewhere that is free to park like a housing estate within 10 minutes walk of the city on the Clare side? I will be driving from Clare every morning. Alternatively what is the best option when it comes to the multi stories and weekly/monthly tickets?

Appreciate any info!
    :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭black & white

Hi ,

Q Park run a couple of sites in the city ( Howleys Quay and Cruises Street ) and I know thay do good deals on monthly and annual tickets; http://www.q-park.ie/ie

There's a place across the road from the Absolute Hotel that are fairly cheap as well but I can't remember the name of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭DBIreland

When you say the Clare side do you mean you are coming in the dual carriage way or in through Corbally?

If in through Corbally then the multi-story at Grove Island was free i think, check it out. Also, O'Driscolls in Corbally allow people to park for free in their carpark and walk into the city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,338 ✭✭✭✭phog

If you're coming in from the Shannon side then you could park out near Caherdavin and bus it in ot try for a spot along the Ennis Rd and park and walk.

From the Corbally side then park out near Grove Island or in the car park near the Absolute Hotel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

phog wrote: »
    If you're coming in from the Shannon side then you could park out near Caherdavin and bus it in ot try for a spot along the Ennis Rd and park and walk.

From the Corbally side then park out near Grove Island or in the car park near the Absolute Hotel.

Grove Island is only free for the first 40 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

I know I shouldn't be recommending this but my mother is a nervous driver and won't drive into the city centre to go shopping so she parks at the maternity hospital and walks it in from there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

No parking in the maternity is bold. To be honest parking smack bang in the middle of the city will be just as handy as anything else. You can get cruises street car parks for €16 Mon - Fri or €18 Mon-Sat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Where in the city will you be working? There are a lot of car parks dotted about the city that are away from the main shopping areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 GS2K

Iang87 wrote: »
    No parking in the maternity is bold. To be honest parking smack bang in the middle of the city will be just as handy as anything else. You can get cruises street car parks for €16 Mon - Fri or €18 Mon-Sat.

And how do you get a weekly ticket for this car park?
    On parkopedia they just advertise hourly and daily rates for all the carparks in Limerick, never see Weekly or monthly rates. Do you need to prebook a weekly ticket?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Wilbert13

I know I shouldn't be recommending this but my mother is a nervous driver and won't drive into the city centre to go shopping so she parks at the maternity hospital and walks it in from there.

No wonder patients who actually need parking can't get a space in there. Using a hospital space when you don't need it is a disgrace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭black & white

GS2K wrote: »
    On parkopedia they just advertise hourly and daily rates for all the carparks in Limerick, never see Weekly or monthly rates. Do you need to prebook a weekly ticket?

Give them a buzz and talk to them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Do you need to prebook a weekly ticket?
    I think you can just park up in there, head away down to the office and buy one, you don't need to "pre-book" it online or well ahead of time or anything.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,000 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Pappyodaniel I so so so so so want to ban you for what your mother does, that really annoys me, the Maternity is 1 of the very few hospitals left that has free parking, to hear of people taking advantage of it is very annoying. If she doesn't want to drive into town she could park across the way in The Strand hotel and leave the hospital parking for people in the hospital.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

What I used do was go up on the monday morning double park outside for a second run up to the guy working at the counter pay for the ticket and away you go in.

That was for the carpark overhead icon there across from flannerys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

Can you get her to stop that please...Herself is due in a few weeks!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,000 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

phill106 wrote: »
    Can you get her to stop that please...Herself is due in a few weeks!

Congrats, some advice about parking in there, try to avoid 9-11 to call to visit, there seems to be a lot of classes and clinics around that time so there's no parking, when you are collecting herself park as close as possible to the door as possible.

Also, nothing to do with parking, but strangely enough the maternity hospital does not cater for men that well, have a sleeping back and pillow in the car as well as something to read, if you have a smart phone make sure to have a charger with you as well, bring something to keep you occupied as well (be it a book, games or something), you'll be amazed once you arrive there you'll be very unlikely to want to leave "in case" something happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭dcmm

Wilbert13 wrote: »
    No wonder patients who actually need parking can't get a space in there. Using a hospital space when you don't need it is a disgrace.
    I worked there before I retired, the aggravation and sheer selfish thoughtlessness of "random parkers" is a constant battle for :Patients in pain,worried relatives, Dr's called in on emergency calls,emergency ambulances,emergency blood deliveries, all hampered by random parkers. I'll stop there. My blood's boiling.
    Maybe one day you or someone you know could be in need in that hospital, think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Wilbert13

dcmm wrote: »
    I worked there before I retired, the aggravation and sheer selfish thoughtlessness of "random parkers" is a constant battle for :Patients in pain,worried relatives, Dr's called in on emergency calls,emergency ambulances,emergency blood deliveries, all hampered by random parkers. I'll stop there. My blood's boiling.
    Maybe one day you or someone you know could be in need in that hospital, think about it.

I am there every 2 weeks at the moment for clinic with my better half who is unable to walk and we have once gotten a parking space in the hospital since last July, even the two disabled spots are usually taken up by 3 cars. We usually end up parking in the nearby estate a couple of hundred yards from the hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 GS2K

Thread is gone a bit off topic.
    But yes I agree with parking in a hospital is off limits.
    Is it safe to leave a car in the Ardhu bar carpark all day?
    seems to be the best option so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

Thread is gone a bit off topic.
    But yes I agree with parking in a hospital is off limits.
    Is it safe to leave a car in the Ardhu bar carpark all day?
    seems to be the best option so far

Seems good, and you can reward yourself with a coffee after walking back to car!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭banner gal

HI

the Strand hotel do monthly for €45 a month.

along the ennis road (from maternity back to tennis club on both sides )is free but usually full early is so depends on start time .
    i got a deal on groupon or one of them for aviry car just off dock road for €59 for 2 months and they renewed it for me after 2 months its just off dock road left after bellisimo up there on right.

hope this helps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 thomasrcleary

Hi,

Is anybody parking outside Tesco, Dunnes or Woodies on the Ennis road? I know it's a bit of a trek and I was thinking of parking in one of these locations to get fit and more importantly to save €552/year.

I currently park in the Strand Hotel; €46/month for 7 days a week, 24hrs a day and today it took me 35mins from my house in Sixmilebridge to get to the Strand Hotel. It takes me 38mins to cycle the same distance.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,338 ✭✭✭✭phog

Hi,

Is anybody parking outside Tesco, Dunnes or Woodies on the Ennis road? I know it's a bit of a trek and I was thinking of parking in one of these locations to get fit and more importantly to save €552/year.

I currently park in the Strand Hotel; €46/month for 7 days a week, 24hrs a day and today it took me 35mins from my house in Sixmilebridge to get to the Strand Hotel. It takes me 38mins to cycle the same distance.

Thanks

Park on the Ennis Road, anywhere from about the maternity outwards is free.

Advertisement