Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to become an account technician?

Options
  • 16-01-2013 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi, I'm doing my second year of Business and Computers and would love to become an accounts technician, do I need to do more training or could I go straight to a job?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

You can go straight into the job. It's not a difficult job if you are good at following rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

You can go straight into the job. It's not a difficult job if you are good at following rules.
    It's not quite as easy as that.

After your degree you could choose an accounting route where you could apply to an accounting firm do your accountancy exams whilst doing your 3.5 years study and hopefully qualify.

Or you could be become and accounting technician by doing the 2 year course via CAI or ACCA. You may be exempt from 1st year depending on subjects taken.

People now want people with the necessary skillset for a job the ATI is a good place to start.

Best of luck

Check out the accountancy forum you'll get more detailed threads in there on accounting technician.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

It's not quite as easy as that.

I walked into an accounting role in the past even though I had no accounting experience or qualification... ended up being the financial controller.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 maria2murphy

Hi laura

Im in the same position as yourself. Looks like more training for us. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 laurab2

Hi Maria

Hope all goes well for us :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

I walked into an accounting role in the past even though I had no accounting experience or qualification... ended up being the financial controller.

Same for me! didn't even do business studies in school! lol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

laurab2 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm doing my second year of Business and Computers and would love to become an accounts technician, do I need to do more training or could I go straight to a job?

as there are fewer accounting technicians jobs around you will be in competition with A LOT of qualified technicians that can't find work.

the two year IATI technician qualification is very respected by irish business because it ain't easy and is very applicable to real world business environments. It does not cost a fortune and can be done either full time or part time ( two evenings a week). this will also give you module exemptions if you continue to ACCA accountancy.

Advertisement