Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chaps/Gaiters

Options
  • 16-01-2013 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Am I right in saying that the only difference is gaiters are highier up the leg and rounded on top? A lot of sales people I ask say they are the same thing! I use which I think are gaiters, a brand called Rectiligne. Got them a few tears ago and find them really comfortable. I was looking for another pair lately and see they are priced around €120. Can any of you recommend an alternative or do you know where these Rectiligne can be purchased at a better price??

Thank you!
    P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭FueledByAisling

From my knowledge, Chaps are standard size in height in most brands and then come in S, M,L etc in width sizes. Chaps are usually suede and sometimes leather. Gaiters however, are a thicker leather, smarter version of chaps. I've been wearing Tredstep gaiters for years now and love them! I've never heard of the brand you use.

My tredstep Pro gaiters retail at around €120, however I got them in the Holmestead warehouse for €70 (haggled with them) and they are brand new undamaged! So perhaps it's worth taking a trip there to see if you can pick up a bargain?

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭silverfox88

Agree with the above, Tredstep are fab!! I hate chaps, I think they're really scruffy looking most of the time and they tend to loosen out and end up sliding down your leg!! I have Tredstep gaiters I picked up in Homestead as well, I think someone was a bit loose with the pricing gun that day as I picked them up for 25, rrp 125!! I prefer gaiters as an alternative to long boots as I find I can never get long boots to fit me properly, so the gaiters and a nice pair of short boots are great. Ive been wearing the tredstep ones now pretty much day in day out, and even with the filthy mucky fields during the winter they still scrub up perfectly for shows!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭pmason

Well guys, looks like I will have to start bargaining them down a bit. Good for ye though, I never seem to get a bargain on anything:(
    Thanks for the info, much appreciated.
    P

are these the one pmason? http://www.equepet.com/rectiligne-bayonne-leather-gaiter-p-828.html
    id say even with postage they work out about half the price you said earlier?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭pmason

Thanks silverfox. I came accross them last night. They look very similar so Im going to give them a try:)
    Thanks a million!
    P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭FueledByAisling

pmason wrote: »
    Thanks silverfox. I came accross them last night. They look very similar so Im going to give them a try:)
    Thanks a million!
    P

Always look on discount places! I bought tredstep gaiters on ebay brand new for 20 euro but unfortunately they're an 18" in length so ended up being too tall for me and they're just sitting at home!

New gaiters sometimes open when riding so the little trick is to attack a keyring ring to the zip and put the clasp through it and then close the clasp together. and it holds them up while breaking them in!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

I've got both chaps and gaiters.

I have these chaps. They were worth ever cent as worn daily for at least two years and still in great condition. I've the brown ones and I think they look lovely and not scruffy at all. I would wear there daily and just use the leather ones for shows. They don't slip down at all and over time they have gotten to be the shape of my leg and fit like a glove. The zips are still perfect which is amazing as i;ve had some expensive leather chaps before where the zips and poppers did not stand up to this level of work.

http://www.triequestrian.ie/index.php/tri-equestrian-product-categories/for-the-horse/detail/38-chaps-a-gaiters/youjoomla/1005-turfmasters-suede-half-chaps.html?sef=hcfp

The gaiters I have are tredstep and they do last well and they are nice leather they also come in a variety of width and length. I've a brown and black pair and they were a true bargain at 20 euro and 40 euro in the homestead warehouse sale (I also got a pair of brogini leather jod boots there for about 40 euro!). So its worth keeping an eye out to see if this sale is back on as you might pick up a nice pair there.

I got the brogini boots down in homestead too Phoenix, they're fantastic! fan for life of them now :D

Advertisement