Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Problem getting issued a PPSN card - any advice

• 16-01-2013 12:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 360 ✭✭

Hi

Just wondering if anyone would have any suggestions on ways to appeal a decision not to issue me a PPSN card by the local Social welfare office.

I have an unusual situation in that although I'm born in Ireland and have a full Irish passport, PPS number and am obviously an Irish citizen, I was adopted as a baby back in the late 1960's and so only have whats commonly called a "short form" of my birth certificate which just shows my name and date of birth, along with a certificate of adoption in the adopted childrens register which shows my adopted parents names. I had applied for the PPSN card and explained everything and provided all the other required documents - passport, proof of address etc. But they are refusing to issue me a PPSN card saying I need to provide a birth cert with my birth mothers name. (I don't know this and to be honest I don't want to know as my adopted parents are the only ones I had).

I've tried repeatedly to solve this , e-mailing and trying to call them but am having no luck at all.

I have also tried to get this birth cert they require (with my birth mothers name on it), but I have run into similar problems with the registrars as they seem to need to know her name before they can get the certificate. So I'm kind of in a catch 22 situation.

Would anyone know of any central place I can get help with this ? Thanks very much for any suggestions or advice :)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Contact an adoption/adopted persons group.
    They'll more than likely have come across your situation before and will advise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭Think_then_talk

Hi mikedublin,
    I'm the same they have been giving me the run around since last nov I have been to the office 6 times for a new card they took my photo, birthcert shortform , passport, then said it was no good sent me to joyce house for a cert, I had a battle trying to tell them that joyce house does not do or deal with adoption. You have to deal with adoption board roscommon ,

A cert for a normal person is 1 EURO for social welfare use, However since your an Adopted person you will have to pay 10 Euro for the same cert.

Or travel to county roscommon to get your 1 euro cert.

So how does it feel to be a second class citizen in Ireland 2013,

Fare play minister joan burton The Minister for Social Protection, An an adoped person.
    http://tinyurl.com/av2nxf2

Advertisement