Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donations of cat food

• 16-01-2013 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

I was just wondering if anyone knows of any charities in Dublin which would take donations of cat food? My cat can't eat certain flavours of food from the Felix pouches that I buy so these are left over and I'd like to see them go to a decent place.

One of my friends suggested <snip>. I know they are reported to do good work, but I had a very unpleasant experience with them and it has put me off ever having anything to do with them - I contacted them and offered to home one or two cats, went through a rigorous interview process (even though I've kept cats for years), then was 'allowed' to go out and visit someone with cats, fell in love with one little kitten and was told to come back a week later with a travel carrier etc, and when I did the woman told me that she gave the kitten away to someone else who had actually never looked after cats and didn't even go through the interview process, becuase this person was married (she hadn't even bothered to ring me to tell me this). I know of other people who have been refused cats by <snip> (when they could offer great homes) because other people with children are 'more suitable'.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 RuggieMuffin

I've had a lot of dealings with <snip> and have found them to do great work. Everybody involved volunteers their own time and homes for the work they do and that's the kind of animal charity I want to support.

I'm sure there's a good explanation for what happened with your homing.

If you really don't want to give a donation of food to them then no problem but for people doing volunteer rescue of animals I don't think they should be publicly named and shamed. There are plenty of rescues out there that would love the donation of food - many will insist you deliver it as their volunteer time is taken up the majority of the time. <snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭thesiren

I appreciate that they do great work, but the fact that it isn't just something that has happened to me and actually seems to be a trend with people who are perfectly willing and able to look after cats but just don't happen to have children really bothers me and makes me wonder if all of the volunteers have the same intentions.
    At the end of the day, if you have a lot of cats needing loving homes, I think it's appalling that they have repeatedly turned down a bunch of singletons/childless couples.

I haven't kids and they homed two cats to me. I guess they have had soooooo many cats that return back into rescue once a baby arrives that they try to avoid that situation.

Anyway for the food the <snip> can probably take the food but I know purina give them dog and cat food for free. It will be more appreciated by little rescues like <snip> or <snip>.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 jackieha

I don't have kids....they let me foster and then adopt and I know lots of other people who have adopoted from them too !!! You seem to be "put out" that they did a thorough homecheck, I applaud them, at least they care where their cats go!!! Are you sure there wasn't another reason...i.e. busy road, renting and no letter of agreement from your landlord etc. etc. Hate to see a fantastic charity like this slandered on a public site.
    P.S. And I'm single !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Yeah i find it odd too that they wouldnt rehome to a childless person, i would've thought this was a benefit in some way as its a quiet home with no disturbances and less likely to be mishandled by young kids.

• Advertisement

Thàts what I thought. If I was a cat I'd rather be in a kid free zone lol!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I'm very surprised at this story. I can't help feeling that there's more to the story than the OP is saying. I've never come across a rescue that only re-homes to families. I think it's very unfair to the charity to make that kind of allegation. The OP has the luxury of anonymity,however making anonymous allegations about any rescue really damages the reputation of the charity and could put people off adopting from them. The real loser then is the cats.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I have removed the references to the organisation in the OP: I only wish this thread had been reported, as I only stumbled upon it now, and the OP has been there all day for all to see.
    OP, this is not the place to highlight your concerns about a rescue group.
    Everyone else who posted names of rescues, please remember that naming rescues in this forum is against the forum charter. One of the reasons for this is to stop anonymous posters posting critical remarks which the rescues concerned cannot defend themselves against.
    Thread closed.
    Thanks,
    DBB

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement