Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Report from UCD

• 16-01-2013 12:51pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 208 ✭✭

Hi,

Maybe someone could help with this query. My dog passed away before xmas and the vet concerned said that he would send the body to UCD vet hospital for an autopsy to find out the cause of death. I have received the report back from the vet and i am just wondering if anyone has received one of these reports before. Not all of the fields on the report are filled in properly. These fields below are blank on the report, would this be normal practice for a veterinary hospital not to fill in this info?

Animal Name : Blank
    Case No : Blank
    Sex : Blank
    Colour : Blank

Thanks Daver

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Did you get the results of what happened to your dog though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Never had one but it does seem odd I mean how do they keep track of everything.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 208 ✭✭daver123

andreac wrote: »
    Did you get the results of what happened to your dog though?

How do i know it was my dog with all this important information missing?

I dont know, but did you get a result or not? Maybe ask your own vet why the info is missing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

It depends whether your vet relayed the information clearly to UCD. Some vets are ridiculously basic with the info they provide i.e a submission form could say just say "CKCS, owner Bloggs, do PM please" and that's it, others send reams of info. So, ask your vet what they sent first.

UCD are very thorough with their post mortems so i wouldn't be worrying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

I have dealt with UCD quite a bit and they are usually painfully detailed when it comes to aminal/owners info so I would definitely look into it - it is most likely an oversight or, as anniewho pointed out, a lack of info on your vets part but it's better to make sure. Your vet is the one to ask and if they can't answer it you need to contact UCD directly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 208 ✭✭daver123

I have dealt with UCD quite a bit and they are usually painfully detailed when it comes to aminal/owners info so I would definitely look into it - it is most likely an oversight or, as anniewho pointed out, a lack of info on your vets part but it's better to make sure. Your vet is the one to ask and if they can't answer it you need to contact UCD directly.

Hi Lorebringer thks for yr reply....I did speak to the vet and UCD, unfortunately UCD will only deal with the VET ( client ) so they will not give out any details to myself.

Did you get a result back from the PM?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

One of mine died suddenly on the 22nd of December too and I gave her body for research to UCD and I wasn't presented with this option. Is it possible to find out what happened still?

Sorry if I've gone OT a bit.

One of mine died suddenly on the 22nd of December too and I gave her body for research to UCD and I wasn't presented with this option. Is it possible to find out what happened still?

Sorry if I've gone OT a bit.

Did it come via your vet or did you bring it to UCD directly? As OP mentioned UCD will only give reports back to vets so they will need to contact UCD and relay the info back to you.

• Advertisement

anniehoo wrote: »

Did it come via your vet or did you bring it to UCD directly? As OP mentioned UCD will only give reports back to vets so they will need to contact UCD and relay the info back to you.

It's the vet, brought her down and she was PTS straight away and just they just asked would we like to donate her body to vet science, we said yes and off we went. They gave us an idea of what might of happened but I'd still like to know for certain.

It's the vet, brought her down and she was PTS straight away and just they just asked would we like to donate her body to vet science, we said yes and off we went. They gave us an idea of what might of happened but I'd still like to know for certain.
    Ok well your vet needs to contact UCD and ask for a report. The only problem is the "donation for research" part mightnt necessarily involve a full PM as such as the body may have just been used as teaching purposes for students to practice on if you know what i mean. Specifically requesting an actual post mortem is completely different though.

Ok well your vet needs to contact UCD and ask for a report. The only problem is the "donation for research" part mightnt necessarily involve a full PM as such as the body may have just been used as teaching purposes for students to practice on if you know what i mean. Specifically requesting an actual post mortem is completely different though.

Thanks for that, sure ill give my vet a call and see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭fiounnalbe

It depends whether your vet relayed the information clearly to UCD. Some vets are ridiculously basic with the info they provide i.e a submission form could say just say "CKCS, owner Bloggs, do PM please" and that's it, others send reams of info. So, ask your vet what they sent first.

UCD are very thorough with their post mortems so i wouldn't be worrying.

Surely though the only info they wouldn't be able to answer from the list of questions they left blank that the OP mentions above would be Animals Name?So even if the vet didn't give much information, the others should be filled in albeit with only an approximate age.

It probably is your dogs results alright, but I would keep on at the vet to get a new report sent out to you with all the areas completed for piece of mind. It's quite unprofessional really imo to have sent out this one with so much detail missing.

fiounnalbe wrote: »
    It's quite unprofessional really imo to have sent out this one with so much detail missing.

Normally an owner wouldnt get the actual report given to them.Most vets relay the info in "lay mans" terms as unless you've got medical training none of the terminology is easily understood. Most vets write up just the final result minus the medical jargon and thats given to the owner.

In relation to some post mortems as insensitive as it sounds the animal name,colour,breed isnt important (and often isnt provided by vets) unless the post mortem is complicated and then the pathologists contact the submitting practice.If there's private cremation requirements then the animals name is needed but UCD dont use case numbers for PMs only Necropsy numbers and thats what the animal is known as.

As i said earlier, so many vets write the bare basics which isnt a problem as the owners do not generally get to see the final report.Once an animal is logged with a Necropsy number and the pathologist doesnt require any further info then its pretty straightforward. As the OP has only pinpointed one small area of the report its probable it was an uncomplicated PM and the report was more than sufficient for their vet.

Advertisement