Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Triton T80 too hot or too cold

Options
  • 16-01-2013 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭

Brand new Triton T80 in my apartment. Its a mains fed electric shower. Electrician installed it this week but found out only goes roasting hot of freezing cold. There is no in between no matter which setting i put it on. He is waiting to hear back about the issue from Triton but thought I may ask here also just to see if anyone had any ideas on it?

Pressure is also not great but wasnt the best with previous one either. Live on 3rd floor of apartments complex and its fed directly from mains rather than from a tank by sounds of it. The low pressure light is staying off.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Fluctuation pressure is going to make temperature control difficult as the water temp is dependent on the flow.

Also remember each temp set point adjustment should be small and the change in temp will not be immediate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

2011 wrote: »
    Fluctuation pressure is going to make temperature control difficult as the water temp is dependent on the flow.

Also remember each temp set point adjustment should be small and the change in temp will not be immediate.

I appreciate temp changes wont be immediate but they are not happening at all. It stays boiling hot, i move it down a small bit and wait for a change for a minute, nothing happens, keep moving, wait, no change, move down, wait, no change, then it will hit a point where I can hear a switch clicking and it goes cold.

There just seems to be no temperature control. Its either cold or hot. I am unsure if maybe the control unit for the element is possibly faulty or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭frankmul

Is the shower providing any heat at the medium heat setting?.

frankmul wrote: »
    Is the shower providing any heat at the medium heat setting?.

You mean the economy setting? If so yes.

chris85 wrote: »

You mean the economy setting? If so yes.
    and when you say turn it down, you are going from hot to cold? 10 to 1?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

I appreciate temp changes wont be immediate but they are not happening at all. It stays boiling hot, i move it down a small bit and wait for a change for a minute, nothing happens, keep moving, wait, no change, move down, wait, no change, then it will hit a point where I can hear a switch clicking and it goes cold.

There just seems to be no temperature control. Its either cold or hot. I am unsure if maybe the control unit for the element is possibly faulty or something.

The pressure/flow rate (dynamic pressure) of the water, is likely too low. It has not got enough flow rate to get down to a usable temperature. An electric shower puts a fixed amount of heat into the water on each element setting, and so the temperature depends on flow rate. Lower rate = higher temp water out.

If it cant get above a certain flow rate, it will be too hot.

After a time, the overheat stat is probably cutting out, causing the heating elements to go off.

Is the shower definitely connected to the mains water?

Bruthal wrote: »
    The pressure/flow rate (dynamic pressure) of the water, is likely too low. It has not got enough flow rate to get down to a usable temperature. An electric shower puts a fixed amount of heat into the water on each element setting, and so the temperature depends on flow rate. Lower rate = higher temp water out.

After a time, the overheat stat is probably cutting out, causing the heating elements to go off.

I'd be agreeing with Bruthal. Here is the manual for the si model
    http://www.tritonshowers.co.uk/media/1156239/t80si.pdf
    Electrical drawing on page 11. I'd think it is the outlet Temperature cutout that is clicking.

Thats what the electrician said, he said connected to the mains. Its an old school apartment. makes sense what you are saying though. Got any ideas best way to solve this?
    I'd be agreeing with Bruthal. Here is the manual for the si model
    http://www.tritonshowers.co.uk/media/1156239/t80si.pdf
    Electrical drawing on page 11. I'd think it is the outlet Temperature cutout that is clicking.

Cheers for that.

Thats what the electrician said, he said connected to the mains. Its an old school apartment. makes sense what you are saying though. Got any ideas best way to solve this?

It depends on the setup in the apartment. If it has a water storage tank, I would of thought a t90 would have been better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

There isnt enough pressure too operate the shower correctly.Change the pipeing from mains too tank and install a tank fed pumped shower
    The old mains shower may have operated ok for years but new showers are different.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

There isnt enough pressure too operate the shower correctly.Change the pipeing from mains too tank and install a tank fed pumped shower
    The old mains shower may have operated ok for years but new showers are different.

I agree that this would be a good solution, but the OP lives in an appartment so I would not think that a tank is possible.

2011 wrote: »
    I agree that this would be a good solution, but the OP lives in an appartment so I would not think that a tank is possible.

May be possible. Top floor apartment with an attic above it which I use for storage. I am sure a tank could be placed there. However I rent here and will have to talk to the landlord and may be their decision how to solve this. Electrician was out to check it out today. Agrees may be low pressure and a plumber is coming out tomorrow to have a look at it.

Is there any better shower or configuration to use instead of installing a tank due to the cost that may involve.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭iopener

I think you answered the question yourself.the water pressure isn't good enough.whats happening with the shower is the heating element is heating up gets too hot due to lack of water the anti scaled stat opens up.the water cools down and the anti scaled stat closes then heats back up too scalding again.this cycle continues on and on.

iopener wrote: »
    I think you answered the question yourself.the water pressure isn't good enough.whats happening with the shower is the heating element is heating up gets too hot due to lack of water the anti scaled stat opens up.the water cools down and the anti scaled stat closes then heats back up too scalding again.this cycle continues on and on.

op state that when he turns the shower down, it gets coold. is turning a shower down not increasing the flowrate of water through the shower?

i think the high temp stat on output disconnect one element. he also says that it freezing. should one element not keep it warm?

op state that when he turns the shower down, it gets coold. is turning a shower down not increasing the flowrate of water through the shower?
    It is, but if there is too low a flow rate for the shower to operate properly, turning the the temp dial to cooler, will increase the flow if there is extra capacity for the flow to increase. It may increase slightly if the capacity is not there, but still not enough to prevent water and elements from getting too hot, but may slow down the stat on/off cycle a little.
    i think the high temp stat on output disconnect one element. he also says that it freezing. should one element not keep it warm?
    It will, but it could well be tripping the main stat. But even if it is just tripping the output stat and one element, it may still feel cold compared to the very hot water before it trips. But there is a good chance both stats are tripping.

It is, but if there is too low a flow rate for the shower to operate properly, turning the the temp dial to cooler, will increase the flow if there is extra capacity for the flow to increase. It may increase slightly if the capacity is not there, but still not enough to prevent water and elements from getting too hot, but may slow down the stat on/off cycle a little.

Very good point, never thought of that

It will, but it could well be tripping the main stat. But even if it is just tripping the output stat and one element, it may still feel cold compared to the very hot water before it trips. But there is a good chance both stats are tripping.

I think the main stat is not resettable according to the instructions, outlet stat only switches off one element it seems. But yes the cool water wil feel very different to the hot water.

I think the main stat is not resettable according to the instructions, outlet stat only switches off one element it seems.

Yea that is true alright, I think when the main one goes on the triton showers, it needs to be replaced. Its like a last line of defence if the elements came on with no water flowing through the tank, which would happen if the pressure switch somehow closed, or stayed closed when the shower is off at its start button.

Just an update on this. Shower was changed out and a Triton T90 installed. THis was connected up to a pipe coming into the apartment from large tanks above the apartment which feed the bathroom and hot water tanks only in each apartment. Mains supply feed into tanks. About 2m head there so also good. We now have good pressure and good control of heat.

Advertisement