Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New pedals - ultegra carbon or regular?

• 16-01-2013 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭

So I just bought a new road bike (knock down price in wiggle sale, couldn't say no!) with carbon frame and ultegra components and need to get pedals. I'm going to go with ultegra pedals but am wondering should I go carbon or cheap out and get the regular set (what material are these made from anyway, aluminium?).

The carbon set weigh 260 grams and the regular are 310g. I'm trying to justify the difference in price in going for the carbon. Would there be any other difference between them, feel wise, or durability or anything else?

What do ye think?? :-)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

The cheap ones, unless you think you might be in with a shout for prize money on some Alpine TT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,106 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I'd get the cheap ones.

I've had bad experiences with composite pedals, although those were Time not Shimano.

I'm currently running €20 SPDs and they do much the same job of attaching my feet to the cranks as my €180 Time ones did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

Ha! Ok, that's all I needed to hear! Thanks.

Screw it, in that case I might just go for a set of the 105s at half the price again. It's just that sticker on them that will be different to everything else on the bike - why am I such a sucker for labels?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭3102derek

go for the regular one, take a **** before you go for a spin. there the difference in weight saved!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

I can't comment on the 105s but I have had a set of ultegra pedals for the past 5 years and had absolutely no issues.

I already have the 105 pedals on another bike which has a full 105 setup (like I said, I'm a labels whore) and they're fine as far as I'm concerned. But I was just going to go with ultegra pedals for the new bike so it all matches up. Sad I know.

I might just share the one set of 105s between both bikes for now seeing as I can only cycle one bike at a time anyway and stop spending all of my money on my bikes! :-)

Advertisement