Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Martial arts for kids

Options
  • 16-01-2013 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

I have 5 & 6 year old boys who would like to get involved in Karate (or some form of martial arts). I have seen some old threads on this but just wondering what the current state of play is in the city - where clubs are located, what form of MA do they teach, how much per lesson and what duration, lesson times etc, etc. More importantly I'd welcome feedback on how you find the club - do their kids enjoy it, would you recommend etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 aro13

You should check out Waterford MMA in the Lacken road buisness park.They run a beginners class Tuesday and Thursday at 5 o clock.Very friendly class and instructor.The kids would do a mixture of kickboxing,wrestling/grappling,its good fun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Brick Session

Plus one on MMA, Anthony the instructor is top class, I can PM you his mobile if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭JohnnyBingo

Thanks for the feedback and yes please pm the contact number. Any idea on costs?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭rayr

Pat Rockett Blackbelt Academy in Avondale is superb. Pat is a 5th Dan Blackbelt and highly qualified and excellent with the kids a mixture of all ages. My 9 yr old has trained in Karate since 6 and is now a Blackbelt. Training is two nights a week at 6-7 for beginners on Tuesday and 7-8 for all for Kata (grading routines) on Thursdays. It is a little pricey at €7 per night but top class. He also does kickboxing but I'd say yours kids are a bit young for that. His gym is down past Azzuri toward Store all.

Advertisement