Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gasworks Carpark planning approved

Options
  • 16-01-2013 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone had any up to date info on this. It was announced last year that 350 spaces were to be made available. Ive since heard that the Port of Waterford Company have objected ( competetion for their carpark i suppose). Any recent info.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

It's up to An Bord Pleanála whether it gets permission.
    Case is due to be decided by 16-01-2013

http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/JN0003.htm
    http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/JD0019.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Spudmanpat

It's about time they did something about the parking in the town. It's hard to park anywhere in the town with the new traffic warden. He won't give anyone a chance.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Spudmanpat wrote: »
    It's hard to park anywhere in the town with the new traffic warden. He won't give anyone a chance.

If he stops the muppets double parking on the quays and other such idiocy then I'll buy the new warden a pint!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

I just can't believe that another business would think that stopping this car park would be good for their business.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭jad2007

I think its a perfect example ( sadly) of how vested interests in the city work against each other and in the long run hinder the development of the city.

Every week on here people cite parking as a key issue hindering the retail trade. Here we have 350 spaces within five mins of the city centre that cant be used because the Port of Waterford have objected.

You would think that the Port would be working with WCC rather than against them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

Has it actually been refused?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Finnbar01 wrote:
    I just can't believe that another business would think that stopping this car park would be good for their business.
    The Port of Waterford is based out in Belview so this car park has no impact on them like it would for the city centre shops. But the Port have commercial interests (they own a car park on the Quay) so a new car park could be bad for their car park's business. That's my understanding of the situation anyway.
    comeraghs wrote: »
    Has it actually been refused?
    No. Waterford City Council gave permission and had there been no objections it would be going ahead now. Port of Waterford objected (no one else objected) so now An Bord Pleanála will have the final say. As I mentioned above they are due to make a decision on 16th January (today!) so we should know tomorrow - check the links I posted above.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

Shocking action by the port to begin with. If it were a little more concerned with its core business which has been in decline for at least a decade it might fair better as a player in the business.

The council should be pushing to gain control of the carparks as the quays are vital part of the city and to have them in the hands of the port would seem to be a bad idea.

What is the governments involvment in the port nowadays?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I cant see how they would see these spaces as a threat, people would have to be lured by price to park down there. Shoppers want to be parked under Kylemore or within spitting distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Is this the same Port Authority who couldn't come to an agreement with CIE on a right of way on the North Quays which blocked any potential development or cleanup of the site!?

I can't see how An Bord Pleanala could justify blocking it on commercial grounds. If that was the case it would be impossible to operate a business. Imagine if I own Centra on the Quay and I object to a Spar opening up in Johnstown!? Madness.

Johnstown, Catherine St and Parnell St are in dire need of more footfall. Each of these areas have a lot of potential but are looking pretty run down at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭MacGyver

It's up to An Bord Pleanála whether it gets permission.

http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/JN0003.htm
    http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/JD0019.htm

Both cases now pushed to 22-01-2013

The Port of Waterford is based out in Belview so this car park has no impact on them like it would for the city centre shops. But the Port have commercial interests (they own a car park on the Quay) so a new car park could be bad for their car park's business. That's my understanding of the situation anyway.

Yes, I can see where they are coming from but it is a very bad business decision to put in a compliant. One way to attract people into the city is car parking. The more car parks the better (well up to a certain extent anyway). If this car park goes ahead, this should lead to an increase in traffic and more business for the Port of Waterford car park.

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    Yes, I can see where they are coming from but it is a very bad business decision to put in a compliant. One way to attract people into the city is car parking. The more car parks the better (well up to a certain extent anyway). If this car park goes ahead, this should lead to an increase in traffic and more business for the Port of Waterford car park.

I'd say that the people who work in the city centre would provide their main customer base - Mon-Fri when there wouldn't be too many tourists or shoppers about. Anything which they get at the weekend would be a bonus. If the Gasworks came along, the two would be competing for that business.

A bit late to address the situation after the horse has bolted, but the parking shouldn't ever be there in the first place. You wouldn't expect to find parking along the prime locations along the Quays of Cork or Dublin, unless it was multi story in a mixed development.

A really sad decision by the Port to try and block it, Apparently WCC were also going to hold events there as they did with Bolton Street for Spraoi etc.

Parking issues are mentioned on here every day and here is a carpark within 5 mins of the centre lying idle. Only happen in Waterford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

I would imagine Waterford City Council are gagging for a positive result on this as if they get it into action it frees up Millars marsh as a potential site for them for the by now famous M&S

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

"Port of Waterfords appeal to An Bord Pleanala was turned down and that the car park at the Waterside (old Gasworks site) can go ahead. Work due to commence after flood defence works are completed on that side of the river - due to start in April."
    from Cllr Mary Roche FB feed

hardybuck wrote: »
    I'd say that the people who work in the city centre would provide their main customer base - Mon-Fri when there wouldn't be too many tourists or shoppers about. Anything which they get at the weekend would be a bonus. If the Gasworks came along, the two would be competing for that business.

If anything business would increase as the preception that there is more parking space in Waterford would increase more visitors to the city.

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    If anything business would increase as the preception that there is more parking space in Waterford would increase more visitors to the city.

Sure there is hardly a sinner in Waterford for most of the week, the vast majority of those who are there are working. I was referring to the two sites being in competition for the workers, who will be their steady customers.

As an aside, while providing ample parking will help provide a better overall experience for the visitor, I'm not sure if it is keeping people away at the moment.

Looks like it got the go ahead according to Mary Roche on fb

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭south

Could they stick a M&S on top of it and keep a lot of people happy..

• Advertisement

south wrote: »
    Could they stick a M&S on top of it and keep a lot of people happy..
    No its only a medium term lease from bord gais on the site, so they cant build a structure on it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

ABP gave this the go ahead, I can confirm. You heard it here second. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

Do the port get paid for hosting the ice skating rink? If so the council should look to move it to one of thier own car parks.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

jayboi wrote: »
    Do the port get paid for hosting the ice skating rink? If so the council should look to move it to one of thier own car parks.

Its a private company running the skate so its up to them where they go I suspect.

Also, ill edit this thread title so its more accurate.

Actually as the OP I would prefer if the title wasnt changed, when I started the thread it was far from a fargone conclusion. The thread now looks like a good news story item. My intention was to highlight how competing vested interests in Waterford were contributing to the decline of the city.

Please change it back.

jad2007 wrote: »
    Actually as the OP I would prefer if the title wasnt changed, when I started the thread it was far from a fargone conclusion. The thread now looks like a good news story item. My intention was to highlight how competing vested interests in Waterford were contributing to the decline of the city.

Please change it back.

It was never rejected. It was misleading since the start. It was given the nod by the Council, then appealed, and then given the nod by ABP. Neither body rejected it. All the planning authorities approved it.

Sully, loads of thread titles on here are incorrect / misleading, surely the idea is that people debate the issue and draw a consensus.

If you spend your time correcting thread titles there is not much point in having a discussion.

You commented in the thread and made your point please dont go meddling with the thread title.

jad2007 wrote: »
    Sully, loads of thread titles on here are incorrect / misleading, surely the idea is that people debate the issue and draw a consensus.

If you spend your time correcting thread titles there is not much point in having a discussion.

You commented in the thread and made your point please dont go meddling with the thread title.

Chriky, I didn't expect a drama over this. Feel free to give me a PM to discuss this further. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

Where abouts exactly is this Gas works?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

There, the empty space

Advertisement