Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tramore or Faithlegg

Options
  • 16-01-2013 1:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭

Hi
    I've been racking my brain as to which golf club to join this year, I have till the end if Jan.
    The thing is I live in Tramore so it would be very handy. The course has 27 holes and its challenging and a nice course. The only thing is I've heard bad stories about older members throwing their weight around etc. and that puts me off.
    I've played in Faithlegg a couple of times lately and I love the course. I do feel less intimidated there also as it seems like a friendly club.

|Im playing off 19 and I hope to drop to 15 this year.

Please let me know what you think.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭hades

I really like Tramore, and i got the chance to play the new 9 last summer which i really enjoyed.

I found the staff really nice, but the one that would concern me is the way they run the weekend competitions. From what i've been told, they have a draw for slots on the timesheet so you have to be in the clubhouse during this draw. And then you can barter with other folks to get your time swapped around if it doesn't suit. It may have changed, but if you're the kind of fella who needs to play at a particular time, you may be in a tricky position.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Ben1977

I won't be put off by stories, if Tramore is on yor doorstep think of the advantages, i.e. 9 holes on a beautiful summers evening, 27 holes.
    I would look at the members numbers and facilities and how stable the club is. It all clubs you will find people thinking they own the place, don't let that put you off.
    Get involved and mix with the members, bet you meet loads of nice people and the others you can easily avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭blue note

I've been a member in Tramore for about 15 years (junior to intermediate). I don't find there is any problem with older members "throwing their weight around" or anything like that. It's a typical club in terms of members enjoying giving out but it essentially being a nice and friendly place.

The 27 holes is useful, if there's something on that you're not down to play in you'll almost certainly have the option of going for 9 holes. And in my opinion, it's a considerably better course than Faithlegg anyway.

The draw for the timesheet is true (and not a bad idea in my view - it fills the bar on a Saturday night, for an hour or two at least). You'll still get times and rarely be stuck for one that's some way decent if you don't get to the bar on the Saturday night. It's just a pity that they don't put it on the internet after because for just someone like me who lives in Dublin I end up looking for a time on Saturday night which can be a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Member in Tramore and heard the same stories when I joined. Never witnessed any of it. Sure there are the same quibbles and shenanigans going as there would be anywhere else but I find it a pretty friendly place. And I like playing with different people on Sundays not just with my buddies.

The draw is only fair as most people want those early times IMO. I usually show up the night before the actual comp and home in on the cancellations and get a good enough time anyways.

But most of all if you live in Tramore it's really a no brainer. Makes all the difference in the summer when it takes you just 5 mins to nip down for a few evening holes.
    You wouldnt do it half the time with the 35 mins spin to faithlegg.

Plus the 27 holes are great. No matter what day or time you will get out somewhere.

I know we were struggling a bit last year with overall course maintenance quality and especially with the greens but I hope we'll get our act together this year.
    Despite this I think its the better course.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 niall147

I've played both about half a dozen times in the Dunmore east golf classic. I really like both so you're spoilt for choice. to be very honest with you the decision is a total no brainer- You play the course you can reach in 5 mins and wont cost you much over the year in travelling expenses

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 JohnMcClane

I've been a member of Tramore all my golfing life. Like other posters have said I haven't experienced this older generation intimidation you describe either, while members might give out & have their opinion, it is(for the most part) as part of banter. There is a very accessible committee and now chairman and management committee in place in Tramore so if there was any form of this intimidation it could be stamped out fairly quick through the right methods. Unfortuantely, vocal and non contributory people are involved in every golf, GAA, Soccer Clubs in the country and it is their way to say what they want cos when they get home I am pretty sure their opinion is listened to even less!!!;)
    As regards to the draw. The draw is made in the bar every Saturday at 6.30pm, the draw is mainly for the earliest times on a Sunday. So times from 7.30am to 10.30-11am during the height of the Summer are done in this draw. If you are looking for times later than this there would be no problem, if you need a time before this simply go to the draw and put your name in.
    Faithlegg & Tramore are IMO the best 2 in the county. I think they are head and shoulders above any of the Dungarvan courses or Waterford Castle, the development in Tramore would sway it for me though. While a previous poster mentioned the poor condition of Tramore last year, it has been well spoken locally that the development and sand based greens are still maturing and need time to fully settle down(as stated by the course architect himself). 3 years are up this year so the course should be in top condition come this Summer, after playing myself over Christmas the greens are already better now than at times during last Summer so it does bode well for coming year. The Irish close championship is returning to the club in 2015 so the GUI obviously rate it too!
    For your current handicap of 19, there is a weekly singles competition every Wednesday during the Summer. It is 11 holes with timesheet starting from 4.30pm so this would be a great way to meet people, handicap range is 18+.
    In recent years Tramore has gotten several members leaving Faithlegg and joining, none have gone the other way which says something too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

While a previous poster mentioned the poor condition of Tramore last year, it has been well spoken locally that the development and sand based greens are still maturing and need time to fully settle down(as stated by the course architect himself). 3 years are up this year so the course should be in top condition come this Summer, after playing myself over Christmas the greens are already better now than at times during last Summer so it does bode well for coming year.

I dont want to turn this into an inner Tramore debate but I think its not just that.

I think poor discipline if not outright ignorance on behalf of the members with regards to repairing pitch marks and simply overplaying the front 11 has largely contributed too.

Also last year I wondered a few times what the hell the greenkeeping staff were up to when debris was raked into heap and then left for a week next to a tee box - just as an example - or other small things where you get the impression the left hand doesn't know what the right hand does or simply doesn't care.

But all in all these are things that are easily fixed and even when the course wasn't as good as it could have been, its still been a very very nice golf course/club with the potential of being a great one with a bit attention to detail and I couldn't see myself going anywhere else. Also like yourself I noticed that things have begun to change for the better.

• Site Banned Posts: 118 ✭✭Addictedtogolf

I Think personally that Faithlegg golf club is much more relaxed being a newer club. It also seem less busy so getting out is easier.

Maybe if there is a few people on Boards that are interested in joining one of the clubs, maybe we get together and get a group deal.

With Faithlegg I understand that you also get a years leisure centre membership included. Private me if your interested.

Advertisement