Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Concert cancelled -refund issue**Ticketmaster

Options
  • 16-01-2013 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭

Hi

I bought tickets to concert thats supposed to be on today. Concert has been cancelled. Ticketmaster has said that they will refund cost of ticket & agent fees (which is fine), but as I have bought tickets online I need to return these tickets (recommended by registered post) to them. This is obviously a cost to me, but ticketmaster refuse to cover this.

1- I find it ridiculous that I cannot just ring up and have the tickets cancelled and refunded. Their logic was that if I dont return the printed tickets that they could be used. Surely I could just photocopy the tickets???

2- Why am i to be out of pocket because the event the sold me tickets to has been cancelled? I appreciate its only about €6 for the registered post, but its still my €6 :(

I dont think this is very fair on Ticketmasters part. While I understand its not their fault that the concert was cancelled, its not mine either. They should be claiming any costs back from the event organisers

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Well you don't have to send them by registered post, it's only 65c to post them at minimum. I couple of Euro to go registered.

Is it really something to get in a bother about?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Well you don't have to send them by registered post, it's only 65c to post them at minimum. I couple of Euro to go registered.

Is it really something to get in a bother about?

couple of euro?, try 5.25 plus 65c for the stamp.

The error is not as a result of the op's actions so this is a pretty unreasonable cost to expect them to bare.

OP, perhaps suggest that you can destroy (ripp up) the tickets and send them a photo of it via e-mail.

I'd outline that its unreasonable for you to cover the costs for a problem that is not as a result of your doing, an alternative solution may to suggest that you could drop in the ripped up tickets to a ticketmaster seller (since there's a good few of them around the country)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Since the event is cancelled I would have thought the tickets have no value anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭wadefuq

Ask them what the logic is behind them being wary of you photocopying tickets... surely it doesnt matter if you photocopy 100 tickets, theres still no gig to go to :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭SteM

daheff wrote: »
    ....Their logic was that if I dont return the printed tickets that they could be used.....

How can they be used, the concert has been cancelled?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,615 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Sounds to me like another way that many companies operate within the law by offering full refunds, but make it a hassle so that they hope that many people just won't bother.

Since the event is cancelled, really all that needs to happen is that they refund whatever monies were paid. It is not as if the ticket, which is essentially a voucher, can be used for something else for in effect there is no need to return it.

I wold ask why they need the returned ticket in the first place. I would ask them in what circumstances you can now use the ticket, maybe the ticket can be used for something else that you might like (we all know that they can't be by asking the question you ar forcing TM to acknowledge it)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

That doesn't make sense. The tickets have no use if the event is cancelled.

I ordered tickets to a concert last summer which was also cancelled. I received a refund from Ticketmaster, without needing to send the tickets back. I had never even contacted them myself, the refund was issued automatically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Perhaps the concert will be rescheduled, and tickets bought for the original would still be valid for this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

If its the concert I'm thinking of that the op has tickets to(sweaty guy from Kildare) the concerts have been rescheduled for February. Anyone wanting a refund can have one but tickets for the original shows are good for the new dates.

That's why they want the tickets back.

Ah, well that changes it a bit. Op didn't mention that. In that case I think TM are being fair enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Ah, well that changes it a bit. Op didn't mention that. In that case I think TM are being fair enough.
    I'm only guessing that thats the concert but its the only one I've heard of being cancelled in the last week.

I follow Christy Moore on facebook and he put it out yesterday that he had to cancel and all tickets for yesterday and today's show were good for the new nights next month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

Din' this happen with MJ a few years back

After he died, Ticketmaster issued refunds but wanted tickets returned. Many wouldn't because the tickets themselves became souvenirs

I think the refunded, only if the tickets were returned but for MJ they re-issued a special souvenir ticket. Im sure loads of people just held onto their original, meaning they weren't refunded

It's a ridiculous policy to be honest, the ticket is of no value to anyone since the gig is not happening either way

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

ken wrote: »
    If its the concert I'm thinking of that the op has tickets to(sweaty guy from Kildare) the concerts have been rescheduled for February. Anyone wanting a refund can have one but tickets for the original shows are good for the new dates.

That's why they want the tickets back.

Makes sense then if that's the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭daheff

Perhaps the concert will be rescheduled, and tickets bought for the original would still be valid for this?

Just been made aware of this.

Rescheduled dates dont work for me, so original problem still applies.

BTW even if i return the tickets I can still reprint them from Ticketmaster / photocopy them before i return them

seriously bogey on their part

To the poster who mentioned the small amount (5.25 registered post) -it might be a small amount...but why should I be paying it?

I've sent the tickets back normal post. My guess is that without registered post they could deny receiving them, but I'm also informing my credit card company that I am doing so and that if I do not receive refund by end Jan (or at least acknowledgement that I will receive one) I'll be requesting a chargeback.

the other point about posting them the tickets is that I could post them multiple copies of the ticket....would they refund each one???

Yes the concert is the sweaty guy from Kildare (but thats a medical condition he has!!) :cool:

Also the tickets i've printed (today) off TM now have the new date. surely in this day and age there could be a way for TM in such a scenario to allow people to decline the new show online (without having to return tickets) which would automatically refund people? Instead they need to go through their post to do it...doesnt sound like the most efficient way to do things

Daheff, you purchased a ticket to a concert, TM are still allowing you to go to the concert but due to circumstances outside their control the event was rescheduled. They are sticking to their side of the bargain (am I a guessing, but haven't checked, that it is a standard policy with the T&C's that dates can be changed etc).

you want your money back, which given that the concert is going ahead it seems fair that TM would want their tickets back Although you can reprint them I am sure they can 'turn-off' the code for your ticket and the return of the physical ticket is a way to control the refunds.

Registered post is because if they go missing you have no come back, but depending on the total you paid it might be worth the risk that the envelope gets lost. Why do you think TM wold pay for your decision not to go

(BTW, I'm not getting into the fairness of the T&C's which allows for a change of date and even venue)

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭mtjm

would a ticketmaster outlet not change them for you? I know there are few of these but I'm sure they can change it for you

I'm open to correction on this btw

Daheff, you purchased a ticket to a concert, TM are still allowing you to go to the concert but due to circumstances outside their control the event was rescheduled. They are sticking to their side of the bargain )

I accept that the concert is not going ahead and this is outside their control. However it is outside my control too.

They have sold a product which is to be performed at a specific time and date specified on the ticket. I purchased the tickets because I could attend on the specified date. It would be unreasonable to expect me or anybody else to be bound to the ticket if they could reschedule at any time. TM arent doing that.

They are being reasonable in agreeing to refund the tickets (and I commend them for this). My point still remains- they do not need me to return the tickets to issue a refund. I should not be put to extra expense to have my refund (no matter how big or small that may be).

If they get my tickets back all they will do is invalidate them and anybody who turns up at the venue with these tickets will be refused entry because the tickets will be invalid. They do not need the ticket from me to do this.

As another poster said, it seems like they are trying to be difficult to get around refunding the payment.
    They are sticking to their side of the bargain )
    Actually they arent. The concert was for tonight. Its now not going ahead tonight. There is another concert scheduled for a different date and time which ticketholders for tonights concert can switch their tickets to (or reprint with the new date on them).

mtjm wrote: »
    would a ticketmaster outlet not change them for you? I know there are few of these but I'm sure they can change it for you

I'm open to correction on this btw

Apparently not. Anyways, its a refund I'm after as the new dates dont suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

mtjm wrote: »
    would a ticketmaster outlet not change them for you?

I think the Ticket Master outlets actually have nothing to do with Ticket Master. It's just someone with a shop using the brand to resell tickets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

I had to get a refund for the Coronation Street musical( don't ask!) as it was cancelled. I rang them up , gave them the reference number on the tickets. Money back in credit card , no problem , no need to send tickets back. Then Bobby Womack pulled out of that Marley Park gig and i cancelled and the same again. No tickets to be returned.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Teagwee

Relatives of mine travelled 4 hours by bus yesterday morning and paid overnight accommodation to attend this concert last night - they didn't know in time that the concert would be cancelled. Of course their extra expense is not taken into consideration but it will be adding insult to injury for them to have to pay to return their tickets for a refund. Even if the newly arranged date suited (it doesn't) they can't afford to pay another €150 for the ancilliary cost :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Din' this happen with MJ a few years back

After he died, Ticketmaster issued refunds but wanted tickets returned. Many wouldn't because the tickets themselves became souvenirs

I think the refunded, only if the tickets were returned but for MJ they re-issued a special souvenir ticket. Im sure loads of people just held onto their original, meaning they weren't refunded

It's a ridiculous policy to be honest, the ticket is of no value to anyone since the gig is not happening either way

Happened in 1994 as well
    https://www.julienslive.com/view-auctions/catalog/id/72/lot/28592/

Advertisement