Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing Type of Business

Options
  • 16-01-2013 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hi all

we have a retail business which has been in operation for the past 4 years.
    it's not working out and we are in the process of changing to a completely different business in the online 'space' (non-retail)

we currently have a limited company and trade under a trading name for the retail business.

i'm wondering though should be close down this limited company altogether and start/register a new limited company for our new business.

is there any advantage to doing this? ie: PRSI exemptions etc

we wont be leaving any debts behind with the existing business and will be fully paid up to all our suppliers.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

I'd close down and start a new one especially as its non related.

With no debts / liabilities on the old one, there will be no issue closing it down.

Advantages of new one -

1. Some banks give you free banking for a while.
    2. You can raise funds through EIIS if needed. - you can with old company but you have to show you have extra staff.
    3. No corporation tax for 3 years with new company.
    4. No worries of a tax audit going back years and uncovering a genuine error which could be costly.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭newdigi

Thanks sandin.

it's the corporation tax clause I couldn't remember.
    I missed out on that one with my current company by a few months.

funding would also be important. i've been in touch with enterprise board who wanted a business plan. any advice on that? or any other sources of funding available?

so many questions! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

EIIS is a great mechanism.

Almost every business can get it.

You find the investor, they invest say 10k. They get 30% tax relief in year one so new investment is 7k. In year 3 if the company has created jobs, the investor gets another 11% tax relief, so net investment is now 5900.

Hopefully the investment has grown and you could buy back the shares at market rate.

Best advice I got years ago was to get a good accountant on board early. They can save you from many mistakes and a good one can be worth their weight in gold.

Advertisement