Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making home made burgers for a dumby...

Options
  • 16-01-2013 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭

Wondering if someone could give me some tips on making nice burgers for this evening.
    I have some angus mince at home and would like to make some burgers out of it. But I dont want to make big thick burgers, kinda more like the size of mcdonalds one or just twice as tick maybe.

Only new to cooking meat lately, love my non-stick frying pan as of late :D

What are the things I need to make them? Would I be right in thinking of adding a little fried onion into the mix?

Thanks for reading!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

I swear by this method. Always juicy, never dry and always tasty. Seems odd when you read and try process but it does work.

500g mince beef
    1 slice white bread
    1/2 tablespoon Brown sauce (YR)
    pinch sea salt
    pinch ground pepper
    pinch garlic powder
    2 tablespoons milk
    Directions:

1 Crumble bread into mixing bowl.
    2 Add milk 1/2 Tbsp at a time and mash with fork until a paste-type mixture is formed. This may require an adjustment to the amount of milk, we mostly just eyeball it.
    3 Once paste is formed, add the mince meat, brown sauce, salt, pepper and garlic power and mix thoroughly.
    4 Form into 4 burgers and fry in non stick pan or BBQ outside. Top with cheese at end and let melt

Serve on warm toasted bun with your favourite condiments.

PS: The bun should be the same diameter (or smaller) than the burger itself. Nothing worse than biting into a burger and only getting bread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Wondering if someone could give me some tips on making nice burgers for this evening.

Avoid the horse meat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Chop a medium sized onion finely and fry gently until golden and soft. Allow to cool (important)
    Place 500g of steak mince in a bowl, crush a clove of garlic into it, some breadcrumbs , salt and a good twist of pepper.
    Whisk one egg and add to mixture, add cold onions.
    Mix together well, (using your hands is best) and press/form into patties.
    Tasty burgers!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Haha horse meat, Sure that just added to the flavour wouldnt it?

A question on cooking it in a pan. how hot? full heat med heat? How long would I cook the meat for, seeing as I would like to make them like mcdonalds size(ish)

Thanks for all replies so far!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Susie Q's burgers are fabulous. Utterly delicious, they have never let me down.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=79167232&postcount=2

• Advertisement

Haha horse meat, Sure that just added to the flavour wouldnt it?

A question on cooking it in a pan. how hot? full heat med heat? How long would I cook the meat for, seeing as I would like to make them like mcdonalds size(ish)

Thanks for all replies so far!

You would need the heat high enough to seal them almost as soon as they hit the pan, flip them over, seal and then turn down the heat to medium and let them sizzle away until done. I periodically press down on them with the flat of the spatula too. 3 or 4 minutes a side I would say, then let them rest in a warm oven until ready to serve.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Mince, shaped into burgers, salt and pepper on them just before frying and turn them once. Hot pan. I have no idea how long I cook them for, I just keep an eye on them.

Mince, shaped into burgers, salt and pepper on them just before frying and turn them once. Hot pan. I have no idea how long I cook them for, I just keep an eye on them.

So you dont use an egg to bind it all together? I did it once years ago without egg and they just fell apart :rolleyes:
    Remember my mam would use a little bit of flour in the mix too and they would be big thick burgers, not into them, just slim ones.

As you all can guess, I am not a cook, I dont really know what I am doing, making these for my dad so would like not to poison him :o

So you dont use an egg to bind it all together? I did it once years ago without egg and they just fell apart :rolleyes:

Doing it that way and cooking them too quick makes them fall apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Remember my mam would use a little bit of flour in the mix too and they would be big thick burgers, not into them, just slim ones.

As you all can guess, I am not a cook, I dont really know what I am doing, making these for my dad so would like not to poison him :o

Nope, I've never had a problem with them falling apart. Don't handle them too much and don't move them around too much in the pan. Nothing wrong with adding things to the meat though, I just prefer them with nothing added, so if you had problems with them falling apart before then maybe go with one of the other methods above.

• Advertisement

Ok shopping list is

Burger buns
    Mince
    2 tablespoons of milk
    Some salt and pepper
    Clove or two of garlic
    Slice of bread (brown bread is in the house at the moment)
    Small onion (cooked and cooled before mixing with mince)

Cook for 3/4 mins each side on high heat, let rest for a min or two before serving.

Bit of chedder cheese etc.

Sounds easy enough. I shall give it a shot and tell you all how I get on.

Thanks so much for all the replies and advice!!!

Ok shopping list is

Burger buns
    Mince
    2 tablespoons of milk
    Some salt and pepper
    Clove or two of garlic

Cook for 3/4 mins each side on high heat, let rest for a min or two before serving.

Make sure they are Thorough Bread Buns!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Ok shopping list is

Burger buns
    Mince
    2 tablespoons of milk
    Some salt and pepper
    Clove or two of garlic

You also need oil for the pan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

When I've made the mixture I roll it up into a "Swiss roll" shape and wrap tightly in cling film and put in fridge for an hour or so. (don't know why, or where I got the idea from but I didn't think it up myself).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

deelite wrote: »
    When I've made the mixture I roll it up into a "Swiss roll" shape and wrap tightly in cling film and put in fridge for an hour or so. (don't know why, or where I got the idea from but I didn't think it up myself).

sounds like what Heston did on his show where he compared different methods of making the burgers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I have a burger press and it's really good for shaping them. I make my burgers then let them rest in the fridge for a while before frying them and they never fall apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭emaleth

I started doing them like this after seeing Heston's take on burgers (on his show and on Aussie Masterchef).

Put your minced beef in a bowl. Break it up with a fork, following the grain of the meat, so you're essentially dividing the strands of minced beef, not mashing them together. Add table salt, about a teaspoon per pound of beef, and fresh cracked black pepper. I usually throw in some Old Bay, which is an American spice mix, but I'm not sure it's available here. You could add a crumbled Oxo cube, bearing in mind they're pretty salty, or powdered garlic or onion, or anything that takes your fancy. Smoked paprika might be nice. Anyway, mix the seasonings in with the fork, again trying to keep the strands of beef intact by turning and lifting the meat, akin to folding beaten egg white into cake batter. Form into patties with your hands, firmly but kindly like they're your little beefy pets, and put them on a plate in the fridge for an hour or so. They'll be nice and firm when they come out, the salt tightens them up. Either fry them or do them on/under the grill, but DO NOT MOVE THEM for the first three or four minutes.

The difference between this method and the mash-it-all-together-with-your-hands method is phenomenal, in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

I just wanted to add that the most important thing for making burgers, in our house anyways, is that they are nice and pink in the middle. So tender and soft and delicious.

Once I ate a medium rare burger in Paris (yes yes horse meat blah blah) I've never gone near a well done burger again.

I just wanted to add that the most important thing for making burgers, in our house anyways, is that they are nice and pink in the middle. So tender and soft and delicious.

Once I ate a medium rare burger in Paris (yes yes horse meat blah blah) I've never gone near a well done burger again.

Extremely dangerous cooking for the susceptible (youngsters and oldsters) if you are buying in your mince, I would have thought? Grand, if you are controling the meal from start to finish., eg. running fresh meat through a mincer.

I make burgers all the time. I always put in a hint of Cumin to the mix. Not a lot - just enough to make sure it is there in the back ground - but it always adds depth and joy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,044 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Extremely dangerous cooking for the susceptible (youngsters and oldsters) if you are buying in your mince, I would have thought? Grand, if you are controling the meal from start to finish., eg. running fresh meat through a mincer.

Not to start a big debate or anything (been done before;)) but I think it is important to distinguish between the cooking level that is determined by the food police to be safe and the cooking level that most people in Ireland (amateur and professional) cook their burgers to - just to be sure.

So, I would claim that a burger with a touch of pink is perfectly safe to eat (even by the food police' standards).
    The bone dry, hard, thick things, with a crunchy, lumpy surface that pass as burgers so often in Ireland should be made illegal.

I also much prefer a thinner burger because you can cook it through quite quickly without ending up with a hockey puck!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

A handy way to make thin burgers is to roll the mince out on a counter top to McDonald's-esque thickness and cut patties from the slab with the top of a pint glass.

Then just scoop up the remnants and make one last burger with it.

I find if you try and flatten them individually they can fall apart when they get too thin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Obviously people should exercise common sense and all that. I dont know if I would class it as extremely dangerous though. But thats just me.
    I buy organic beef mince and we always have it medium to rare and we have had no problems so far.

I'm also of the opinion that you shouldnt put too much stuff in the burger mix. However we got a burger press for christmas, that comes with a little attachment for making stuffed burgers. we stuffed them with cheese and it was amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭DyldeBrill

500g mince beef
    Corriander
    1 chilli pepper
    1 onion finely chopped
    2 tbsp chilli powder
    Salt+Pepper

Simple burger to Make

1.Put mince in bowl, add a small bit of flour
    2.Chop onion, corriander and chilli into fine slices.
    3.Add salt , pepper and chilli powder (Sometimes I find a small bit of Garam Masala can be nice) and roll burgers into your preferred sizes

cook for about 4 mins each side and BOOM.....Dinners made :)

Not to start a big debate or anything (been done before;)) but I think it is important to distinguish between the cooking level that is determined by the food police to be safe and the cooking level that most people in Ireland (amateur and professional) cook their burgers to - just to be sure.

So, I would claim that a burger with a touch of pink is perfectly safe to eat (even by the food police' standards).
    The bone dry, hard, thick things, with a crunchy, lumpy surface that pass as burgers so often in Ireland should be made illegal.

I also much prefer a thinner burger because you can cook it through quite quickly without ending up with a hockey puck!

Have no problem with that in terms of actual meat, I like mine slightly rare too. I just think it is different with a minced product, if you don't know it's origin and journey to the plate.
    Different strokes for different folks I suppose but well cooked mince has it's own particular charms for me, especially BBQ'ed. :D

Jaysus, some great advice from you all on here, thanks very much!
    Decided to leave making these burgers for the weekend.

But another question for ya. Since there is a lot of mince in 500g, can i, say, make 4 thin burgers and with the rest of the mix, make them and freeze them for another time?
    What way do you guys do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Elegant Chaos

The quality and fat content of the mince is really important of course. It can be tempting to go for the "best" quality mince e.g. the one with the least fat, but the flavour can take a hit if you do that. One option that I like is to fry some lardon (Lidl or Aldi are ok), cool, chop and add to your mix. You don't need a huge amount but it lifts the flavour.

And definitely a dash of Worcestershire (sp?) sauce...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Obviously people should exercise common sense and all that. I dont know if I would class it as extremely dangerous though. But thats just me.
    I buy organic beef mince and we always have it medium to rare and we have had no problems so far.

I'm also of the opinion that you shouldnt put too much stuff in the burger mix. However we got a burger press for christmas, that comes with a little attachment for making stuffed burgers. we stuffed them with cheese and it was amazing!

I had feta stuffed burgers on the barbecue last summer, they were awesome. Fresh from the butcher that day, home made MaryRose, lettuce tomato, brown baps.

Can't wait for a bit of sun now to get the grill out!

Jaysus, some great advice from you all on here, thanks very much!
    Decided to leave making these burgers for the weekend.

But another question for ya. Since there is a lot of mince in 500g, can i, say, make 4 thin burgers and with the rest of the mix, make them and freeze them for another time?
    What way do you guys do this?

Absolutely, I make 20 or so at a time and freeze in batches of 4 (Family of 4)
    Make sure to seperate them with greaseproof paper though before freezing.

• Advertisement

hardCopy wrote: »
    I had feta stuffed burgers

:eek: now there's an idea! :cool:

Advertisement